Time to Bench Wilk?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by championjets69, Oct 16, 2017.

1. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

He has zero contributions in the last few games including yesterday

:mad:

nycarl and NYJetsO12 like this.
  2. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

The guys playing through an injury but I agree, hasn't shown much this year. That five year contract is looking bad right now.

ajax and NYJetsO12 like this.
  3. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

To be fair to Wilk, he was far more visible this week. Those two bright pink sleeves on his arms really made him stand out. Whereas up to this point of the season I've often had problems locating where he was on the field, this week I could clearly see him getting pushed back off the line on running plays, getting stood up on passing plays, straying into camera shot on the tail end of nine-yard runs and moving ponderously and clumsily around the field looking for someone to lean on.

TonyFtLaud, Centiment, joe and 2 others like this.
  4. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I think we should bench Wilkerson in favor or Sheldon Richardson. On second thought, cancel that move.

TonyFtLaud and NYJetsO12 like this.
  5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

How do you bench that contract?

Jets69 likes this.
  6. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

He's pretty garbage, and if what I read yesterday was true, his contact is fully guaranteed next year if he suffers a season ender this year.

Its time he grabbed some bench.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Benched for who??? Who's better?? (He's still getting double teamed, him and Cat)

FJF likes this.
  8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Wilk and Leo are not doing much. If it was just 1 I would think something is wrong with the player. This seems more like a schematic problem though.

Cman68 likes this.
  9. bartscott

bartscott Well-Known Member

Exactly. Why wear those pink sleeves so you can stand out at sucking? Ponderous and clumsy hits the nail on the head. He is the poster child for an athlete getting his pay day and disappearing.

Bowles might not be a great game manager, but he has shown that he doesn't tolerate slackers. I have a feeling that Mo gets less and less playing time over the next few months.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  10. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

Meh, he's probably wearing the pink because he has a friend or loved one afflicted with breast cancer. Bit iffy to go after him on that.

11. ukjetsfan

Nobody's "going after him on that".

12. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

He has some moments but overall I think his effort is lackluster and his effect on the game as a result, is lackluster and pretty non-existent. Sometimes players get paid and they stop playing with the intensity they had before, sometimes players get injured and never come back the same, maybe Wilk is one or both of those things. In any case, his contract is team friendly for 2018 where Jets can cut him and end up with cap savings versus dead money and its hard to see a situation where the Jets wouldn't opt to go that route.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

while Mo has not been very effective, the real problem is we have NO presence at OLB.

in a 304 scheme, the OLB's are the ones that are supposed to apply pressure, and we haven't had a decent pass rusher since John Abraham

94Abraham likes this.
  14. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Maybe they should put him on maternity leave. He looks pregnant.

twown, Jets69 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  15. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

I felt Josh Martin was coming into his own before the injury. I want to see what he can do but it seems right now he's splitting time between Jenkins (who IMO is just a solid edge setting guy in the run game). Martin is the more dynamic player potentially.

16. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Yeah, and they were mixing in Donahue and Bass if I'm not mistaken. It looked like Donahue was helping on the rush too. At this point we're not getting much from the outside with Jenkins either. Definitely a shortcoming of the D yesterday. If everybody was healthy and the roster complete it looked better, But they're weak coming from the outside as of now.

Mogriffjr likes this.
  17. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

You know I get it about most football players..

You are sacrificing your body brain nervous system and skull for a violent injury prone game you've played since Pop Warner,,,where all you might get is perm spinal injury

Now you are "rewarded " with a multi million contract...so why not tank a few plays and avoid injury

On the other hand your contracted to perform your best come game day and provide Gladiatorial entertainment for the masses

See ya Wilk ...they have been trying to unload you for awhile.....in the meantime go cash your checks BUT TAKE A BENCH

JMHO

SOJAZ likes this.
  18. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

You mean like when he broke his leg leaving it on the field up in Buffalo?

You have very little understanding of the mentality or psychology of these men...players and coaches. IMHO

FJF and Mogriffjr like this.
  19. ukjetsfan

We're all talking about what's happened since. He's a different player, for whatever reason. He leaves nothing on the field now.

However, if we consider that the Jets are unlikely to push for a playoff spot this season, even accepting that we're better than we thought, might it make sense to try to see if he can make some sort of impact to maybe boost his trade value? I think he's gone after this season, would he get us a draft pick if he picked up a couple of sacks and looked like he might be coming back into some sort of form?

20. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

you can bench him and release him before next season starts. we take a hit on dead money but not 16+mil salary.

Cman68 likes this.