Bryce Petty myth

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by RichardCaster, Oct 10, 2017.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I don't hate Petty at all. I was all aboard the Petty train until he actually saw the field and it was apparent he either didn't have it yet or doesn't have it period. Also, the biggest play of the preseason was a 75 yard TD to, you guessed it, Powell who was playing with the 1's against the Giants backups. Go look up the drive breakdowns, Petty was playing with starters or at the very least rotation guys.

I'm sure he's better than last year. I'm also pretty confident in saying he wouldnt manage the game anywhere near as well as McCown has which plays a big role in the development of other guys.

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

You were on a roll for the first 3 paragraphs. Should have stopped there.

3. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Plus i'll add Bowles is definitely on the hot seat. If the Jets finish the season with a shot at a top QB in the 2018 draft, Bowles won't survive (and his fam will have to sell the big house and move back to the 2 bdrm apt). Bowles ain't stupid. He was given 3 QBs to try out during the 4 months of various camps, and he's starting the QB that gives him the best chance at keeping his job.

In NE, Belichek is both the HC and the GM, and can do anything he wants. Here, Bowles wins or he's fired and starts over.

4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Not at all. If either Petty or Hack has a future as a FQB, then they would have EASILY beaten out 38yr old journeyman McClown. who hadn't won back to back games since 2002.

The mere fact that hack/petty are warming the pine tells me all I need to know.

How could it be anything else????????

5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Judging by the results of that fake "QB Competition", you're absolutely right. Doesn't really matter though. Unless McCown gets hurt, none of the other QB's presently imprisoned on the Jets Roster will see the field. The remaining question is how quickly one or both of them will either be cut or traded by this time next year. My money is on Hacc being here another year and Petty gets paroled. I just hope the Jets never draft another college QB again. They've ruined enough careers already. Please just stick to signing Vet QB's and JAGs for roster filler.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. FJF

those were where i agreed, the rest you went off the tracks

7. oldrover

oldrover Member

100% agree. Hell, Jacoby Brissett was #3 on the Pats, stuff happened (LOL), and he showed enough... not a lot, but enough... so that now he's starting for the Colts. And showing you more.

And he was a rookie. I don't think he's an FQB... but at least he showed something. And given his new fans hope! These guys haven't.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  8. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

To be fair, I can't think of a single QB the Jets have drafted recently who projected to be anything more than a backup aside from Mark Sanchez. The bigger problem is that we don't invest into the QB position. Late round picks, reaches and JAG veterans all fall into the same bucket honestly.

Every fan hopes they have the next Brady sitting on their bench but it's really just a pipe dream.

Cman68 likes this.
  9. oldrover

oldrover Member

That's true. Belichick's been drafting quarterbacks since 2000... got a good one out of the gate... the next good one came 14 years later... and Jimmy's not exactly proven either.

10. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

What do you mean "he can't"? He could easily start - the powers that be have chosen not to start him. If you are have been a Jet fan for many years, you know that ability and potential have very little, if anything, to do with who starts. Even if McCown was a better play than Petty - and there is absolutely nothing to suggest that after watching McCown for 5 games, we should still be starting Petty because there is a potential future there - even if its as a backup. This year is all about the future, and McCown is not part of it. I didn't have a huge problem with starting him game 1 because of Petty's injury, but given that Petty is healthy and the Jets aren't going to the playoffs, there is absolutely no reason not to start him and see what we have.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

There's a little hope in Bryce because

1. He's young (well.. kinda)
    2. We are looking for a franchise QB.. still.. have you forgotten the goal for the last 40 years? lol find a damn QB!
    3. He's shown some potential, and he actually does well with the younger WR's we have. Which is a plus. Smart kid with a strong arm.
    4. Of any year to really test out Hack and Petty, shouldn't it have been this year? I guess the Pats not looking so dominate played a factor in our decision to go all out with McCown.

12. BroadwayAaron

Can I also ask why the hell we are panicking and whining about this 5 games into the season? Wasn't it pretty much a given that McCown would be starting at least 4-8 games? Also if you think 5 games of McCown has hurt the development of the rest of the team, try again.

cval and FJF like this.
  13. FJF

5 games in and a winning record

14. BroadwayAaron

I just can't comprehend how people haven't learned. Tossing young QBs who still aren't ready into the fire is a bad idea. I mean we're lucky we had vets around Sanchez and a great defense or else that would have ended in even more of a disaster.

Who was the last young offensive player the Jets truly developed? I honestly can't remember. I mean Powell might be the only one in the last decade. I guarantee you that has something to do with the fact we never have stability at QB. We never had someone that can manage the game, be a calming influence and a leader. That's overlooked badly by the "OMG put in Petty now!!!" crowd and it's amazing considering it's what has bitten us in the ass for 10 years now.

FJF likes this.
  15. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Who says Petty isn't ready? He showed poise and confidence when he finally got playing time in preseason.

Brian Winters, Quincy Enuwa, and Shell are coming along nicely.

16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

This is Petty's 3rd season. Sackenberg's 2nd. No matter what it wouldn't be an example of tossing them into the fire too early. If they aren't ready its their fault

ColoradoContrails and SOJAZ like this.
  17. BroadwayAaron

He showed great poise... against guys in the unemployment line while playing with either starters or rotation players. Starting a season in disarray does absolutely nothing for your team. You have a new OC, a new system, a ton of new players... go with the vet who can handle it. And before you say he can't, I mean... you're wrong.

There is absolutely no need to throw Petty into a mess of a situation until the situation is resolved.

Well Hackenberg wasn't good for years leading up to him being drafted so I won't even address him. Petty came from Baylor. Any QB that comes from Baylor needs an adjustment period. Tack on the fact that we just ditched the offense he practiced for two years and you can easily argue putting him in there right now would be tossing him into the fire too early, and it's not entirely his fault.

18. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Seems like some guys are just unwilling to consider anything but their view. Meanwhile if Petty's in there and the team looks like shit and the D and the punter are behind the 8 ball the same people are screaming over a different set players that suck and are "clowns" etc. and the faults with what Mac and Bowles the blithering idiot did.

19. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

We don't see them but the coaches watch them everyday. If they were ready they would be in there.

20. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

For most coaches, I'd agree. With Bowles though, its pretty obvious he's biased towards vets. Another thing is that I believe he is unwilling to take the turnover risks associated with Petty. Bowles, like many other defensive coaches we've had, is going to gameplan like any other defensive minded coach would--limit turnovers and hold the other teams offense to a low amount of points. I feel the QB is the one position where Bowles can have his way because he has no choice for many of the other positions right now.

NCJetsfan, SOJAZ and Red Menace like this.