Luke Falk Games Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Cman68, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

That was a hell of a throw if it's the one I think you're talking about.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Or just take Rosen.:)

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Exactly. Falk would probably be great for a dome team or a team that plays in Florida, but would be a bad choice for the Jets or a team that plays in the NE.

4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

That was the throw I am sure we were both talking about.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Yessir. He didn't get tackled. He got demolished. Good throw. Haven't seen too many of those from him.

6. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Can totally see him go in the first round, low to mid teens, if Jets miss out on Rosen or Darnold I like Falk alot. Very calm in the pocket, poised, goes through his progressions, and his accuracy is ridiculous. Doesn't have the strongest arm, nor is he insanely mobile but he's able to scoot if he needs to.

#26 grkmanga31, Oct 3, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  7. 101GangGreen101

The only thing that gets on my nerves about Falk besides the offense he runs is he never freaking throws the ball away. It's like due live to play another down. Doesn't play under center as well. I do like how he surveys the field and finds open receivers.

grkmanga31 likes this.
  8. grkmanga31

Yep, noticed the same things. Hero ball is the theme is some of the better prospects in this class..a bunch of them need to learn that they can throw the ball away and get after it the next play.

9. NCJetsfan

Thanks for posting this video. IMO it confirmed what I've seen from him in the games I've seen him play. He is a good prospect for some teams, but not the Jets. I like his poise and accuracy in general, but not his lack of arm strength.

He's coming from the Air Raid offense so has to learn to take snaps from under center. With his lack of arm strength, he probably is best suited to a WCO, so he will also have to work on his the various drops. As Lombardi points out, he also needs to work on using his hips and whole body and not just his arm. With his lack of arm strength, he should never throw the ball falling away or off his back foot. In the NFL that will be an incompletion or interception almost every time imo. He's accurate but not as accurate as Lombardi makes him seem. At 2:45, he does a good job finding the open receiver, but doesn't make a good throw and the WR stumbles and falls down in catching the ball. A better throw and it's at least a big gainer, if not a TD. At 3:47 he had a WR behind 2 defenders. The WR made the catch but again had to stretch so much to catch it that he lost his balance, stumbled and fell. With a better throw more to the right, it probably would have been a TD. At 6:45 Lombardi talks about the great, accurate throw he made, but ignores that he threw into double coverage. At 7:57 on the TD throw, that is probably an interception in the NFL, at least in the NE in the winter. He just doesn't look to have the arm strength to make all the throws against NFL DBs. In the later clips where Lombardi points out that he isn't perfect, at 10:19 Falk throws off his back foot into triple coverage in the red zone. That's an unacceptable mistake.

10. grkmanga31

His mechanics are shaky from time to time but generally speaking I like that his feet are always moving, he surveys the field, goes through progressions and his completion percentage is ridiculously high, regardless of offensive scheme. Rosen has made some unacceptable mistakes, just as Darnold has. None of these prospects are perfect, the point is will they be able to transition to the NFL. It is great to see a QB survey the field and not be a statue in the pocket. He can work on his mechanics and decision making. We will likely win too man games where Rosen and Darnold are a pipe dream given that there are too many shitty teams in the NFL and Jets are just competent enough to win a few more games so best look at other prospects.

11. NCJetsfan

I agree with all you say here. I just don't think that Falk is a good prospect for the Jets due to his lack of arm strength. I loved Chad, but don't want to see another QB with his level of arm strength. It just doesn't work outside in NE winters

12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I think your concern is a valid one, but keep in mind that arm strength often improves, and sometimes a "weaker" arm may be a plus because the QB doesn't have the mindset that he can always force throws into tight coverage, which on the pro level likely means picks, or at best, incompletions. I still prefer Rosen by a wide margin over anyone else, but I'm very pessimistic about the Jets being able to get him. I'm definitely looking for Plan B QBs.

grkmanga31 likes this.
  13. grkmanga31

Arm strength is deff a downside and I can totally see why it would be a problem for NE winters, but if we operate a west coast offense he would fit in. We'll see, a lot of football and draft orders left to unfold

14. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I don't know too much about Luke and I have to watch more film but two things stand out to me, one his feet, he has very soft feet when he is in the pocket, that's very impressive.

Look at video of Tom Brady when he is in the pocket, he has very soft feet which allows for good balance.

The second thing I like is how he navigates the pocket, steps into it and makes small adjustments to move in pocket, those traits are not easy to teach let alone develope by a QB.

Still have to watch more games and video on him to see if arm strength is really that big of an issue.

#34 Red Menace, Oct 3, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    101GangGreen101 and NCJetsfan like this.
  15. grkmanga31

I'm really impressed with his pocket presence, and his ability to scan the field. Those two things jump out at me, and accuracy ofcourse. I know he comes from an air raid offense but these kind of traits aren't easily taught like you said. I'm going to be posting some more game film on him.

16. 101GangGreen101

He's definitely a Tom Brady like QB. They share a lot of the same qualities. The question is does he share the same work ethic?

17. grkmanga31

Very up and down game, some amazing throws, some throws that should have been picked. Again, Falk is very much a pocket passer. I like that about him but he needs to improve on pressure recognition to throw the ball away versus take a sack. Also, his throw velocity seems to me at least, comparably slower versus other QB prospects. He goes through his progressions often and that's something a lot of college QB's don't do. I did see him stare down some receivers on certain routes though but I'm wondering if that's be design. Falk seems to love the check down as well

18. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Looking like Sixpatrick on the long balls.

19. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Can’t wait til the combine when Luke throws the ball 50mph and we get to hear that his arm isn’t strong enough.

His arm is strong enough, it’s not Pat Mahomes arm strength but it’s plenty strong enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Walt White likes this.
  20. 101GangGreen101

sweet nothing better than learning a QB can throw during the combine and not on tape