Wideouts

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsGoFar, Oct 9, 2017.

1. JetsGoFar

JetsGoFar Active Member

Happy with the Kearse and Kerley pickups this year. Don't know where we would be without them. For those Suck for Sam fans, well, you probably wish they weren't here lol.

I don't think it's optimal to continue starting Robby Anderson. To me, he really is best on taking the top of the defense and should be a part-time player. He is not physical enough to block in the run game and doesn't fight hard enough to make those tough catches and just as importantly, to help break up interceptions for those balls that aren't perfectly placed. Not sure why they haven't tried Robby out as punt and kickoff returner, his speed may pay off there.

I would start Kearse and let Stewart and Hansen battle it out for the other starting wideout position. We need to let these young guys develop and play in real games. Kerley's a great safety blanket and should continue his role. I like Stewart and Hansen, and hope they can be our future starting wideouts in a couple of years.

What say you guys/gals???

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I said in the game thread,enunwa,kearse,Anderson and the kids are a pretty good wr group. Good enough to help a young qb develop. With ASJ and Powell I think we can have a good offense.

3. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Robby is not physical enough and is very frail looking to be a Punt/kick off returner IMO. If he were to get popped by a gunner on bad coverage he may get seriously injured IMO. But I agree that Robby is not physical enough, doesn't seem to fight for the ball, and unless he beats you with speed he isn't going to do much of a difference.

I would have Kerley and Stewart split reps (Stewart seems to make big plays and then immediately gets taken off the field) which is poor coaching IMO. Hansen should be getting more reps and I expect this to be the case sooner rather than later. If not, then it means the CS has no faith in him, or Hansen does not have a great grasp on the play book and what routes he should be running. I know Bowles and Macc are more concerned with saving their jobs but dont draft two WR's in the 2017 draft at higher rounds and not play them.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't know that I'd go so far as to stop starting Anderson, but I definitely think that Stewart and Hansen should be getting a lot more practice reps with the #1 offense and more playing time. I think most of that should come at Kerley's expense, since he may be just a one-year rental. Even if not, the Jets know what Kerley brings to the table. He is as developed as he's going to get. The Jets need to find out what they have in Stewart and Hansen and develop them. I think some of Kersey's reps should go to Hansen and some of Kerley's, and I think most of Stewart's reps should come at Kerley's expense since Stewart is more of a slot receiver, and I think Hansen will play on the outside. In the past, the Jets have liked for their WRs to be flexible and be able to play any of the WR positions, so if they still think that way, then all three of Kearse, Kerley and Anderson should be giving up reps to Stewart and Hansen.

5. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Yep, but Bowles is too conservative to try out your idea

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I think the old adage "if ain't broke, don't fix it" applies here. The big surprise to me has been Kerley. He has caught almost everything thrown at him so far. Don't recall a dropped pass. In addition, as expected, he gives stability (if not flash) to the punt return game. Also, a little surprised by how good Kearse is. He really shows his pedigree as a top receiver. Agree about Anderson. Posted many times before about his lack of strength hindering his ability on short passes. However, he has shown the ability to beat deep coverage and that has to worry opposing D's, opening underneath coverage. I like what I've seen from Stewart so far. However, I think it's a matter of who McCown is comfortable with and he's on a roll, so I don't think they're going to mess with it.

boozer32 likes this.
  7. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Stewart looks like he just might be quite special. He has a way of moving that is very fluid and the subtle move he put on the Cleveland defender (Garrett?) on that running play, giving him room to get outside and make some yards, was impressive. I'd like to see him get more touches.

Leicester Jet and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I'm hoping we land one big WR in the offseason. we lack a true number 1. I think landry is available. I'd love to have him. If we do that, enunwa becomes the 2, kearse the 3 and anderson the 4. I think that's a good group right there. then stewart and hansen are depth guys who may break out eventually. kerly and marshall will likely be gone in this scenario. landry is a true number 1, enunwa is a good number 2 with number 1 potential. kearse would be a great slot guy or even on the outside and slip enunwa in the slot. anderson as a 4th/deep threat and maybe some point stewart or hansen can earn more playing time. We'd be young and set at WR for a bit that way. plus the TE spot looks good with ASJ and tomlinson. RB seems ok for now with powell having a couple years left and maguire. the o-line is improved and playing well but i'd still like to add depth personally. so really o-line depth and QB would be all that's left

boozer32 likes this.
  9. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I say no to everything you mention. Don't you think the success Kerley and Kearse are having is because Anderson is opening up the middle? You want a blocking WR draft one. You can't teach or coach speed and Morton is making it work...so far. Not impressed with Stewart or Hansen.

10. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Hansen has done nothing. But, Stewart has showed promise. I like what I have seen.

boozer32 likes this.
  11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I do want to see Hansen and Stewart start to get more run. It's similar to Jacksonville's plan (which they didn't really follow) a couple years ago; let the kids play regardless and struggle when they will early on, so they essentially develop and get all of their issues worked out when it's time to insert the young quarterback.

12. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

this^ stewart has made some nice catches for us

13. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Kerley is 14 for 14 on targets.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  14. I'm all for adding a #1 WR no doubt & think quite highly of Landry but Unless we're adding more to go along w him I'd rather pay big money to someone more explosive either deep or short area..Marqise lee,Allen Robinson,Donte Monief &a the likes. I get Landry is just as good all of those guys..I'm just not sold on Robbie Anderson being the lone deep threat & would like to see another short area guy to go along w Stewart.I see Landry as more of a route running possession type.

15. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I liked Kerley when he was here from the beginning. It was Gailey that didn't like him. So glad Gailey is gone.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  16. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind seeing Stewart at split end, taking some snaps from Anderson.

As others have mentioned, Anderson's best role is more of a WR4 to stretch the field and keep defenses honest.
    Stewart I could see growing into a much bigger role over time.

Leicester Jet and boozer32 like this.
  17. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

I agree completely with this. Anderson is the guy you bring in the 4th quarter nd a small lead, go long and break the opponents back. Stewart AND Hansen are two excellent WR'S that are not being utilized correctly.

Leicester Jet likes this.
  18. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

But I do wonder if there's a clear number one? I'm sure everyone thinks Enunwa is, but he's never been one in the past.

19. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

He missed time in the beginning from the injury, forget exactly the circumstances. I think they're just easing him in and picking spots for him, and in time we'll see more of him...How about Sunday they sneak him in and he busts one on a slant or something. Wouldn't surprise me.

20. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

38 yr old young QB?