Week 5 Studs and Duds (vs cleveland)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Oct 9, 2017.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Studs

Defense for creating turnovers - they showed a stat where Cleveland hasn't led in a game all season long. they had 3 easy opportunities to do so early in this game. a missed FG, a fumble and an INT were the results. They did take a lead in the 3rd finally on a great catch from Njoku after they benched kizer at QB. it was short lived as the jets took it back 5 mins later on a TD to ASJ and we never looked back

Kizer - for being so bad it kept us in the game

Morton - for not forcing the run when it wasn't working. Also the TD to kearse was an awesome play call

ASJ - 6 catches and a TD. not many yards but made big catches for us

claiborne - they were trying to pick on him and it didn't work. his INT was a great play as well

Maye - great INT in the red zone to save points

davis - 6 tackles 2 TFL and a sack.

Lee - 9 tackles and 2 TFL

Chandler 1/1 a 57 yarder and 2/2 on XPs

Lac 43.3 avg and a long of 62 yards

Duds

Pass rush - only 1 sack. we are getting pressure but not getting sacks. we really lack the edge speed rusher.

Run D - it's cleveland so they didn't gash us. their 2 RBs combined for 80 yards on 22 carries (only 3.6 YPC) But it should have been better. cleveland sucks at running the ball. also hogan ripped off some big runs for a QB on us. overall 140 yards in total. way too much allowed

McCown - did enough but the INT was bad. he didn't really move the offense. the defense won us this game

Run game - poor blocking up front. powell got hurt, maguire did nothing. 25 yards on 13 carries from our RBs 34 yards total rushing.

Overall it was a game we didn't win, as much as Cleveland lost it. the defense carried us but the offense looked pathetic. The plus side is NE has a shit defense so the offense should get going, but no idea how we'll stop or even slow down their offense

2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

For me:
    Studs: ASJ, Maye, Catanzaro
    Duds: Adams, Mo, and #1: Hue Jackson. If not for him, Jets lose for sure. He somehow coached worse than Bowles.

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Eric Tomlinson gets a game ball from me for sure. Huge catch and run in this game. Also was able to slow down Myles Garrett on several occasions by himself.

grkmanga31 and GasedAndConfused like this.
  4. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

What did Adams do to get fired into the Duds list consisting of just two players ?

5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

He had a rough game. Missed a tackle that would have ended up in a 4th down, gave up the TD catch to Njoku, wasn't great in coverage in general. He's a star in the making, I'm not worried about week 5 of his rookie year.

NYJetsO12, MoWilkBeast and FJF like this.
  6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Just didn't seem right most of the game. He even said so post game. Dud for his standards. Allowed that TD for trying to jump the route, allowed that 3rd down conversion instead of making the tackle. Nothing big. There were many worse Jets.

7. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Definitely not his best game...

There were a few times he tried to tackle up high and they ended up breaking free.
    That shit has to stop.

8. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Cheers, I missed this game due to other commitments, I read a few pages into the match thread when I got a chance but it didn't sound pretty lol

The Dark Knight likes this.
  9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Yeah his tackling has to get better, but I think that starts with him getting stronger as well. Technique needs to improve.

Regardless, Adams is freaking everywhere on the field. Still love his style of play.

10. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

McCown seems to have lost some of his "zip" on the ball. It just seemed like as the game went on, his passes got slower and slower. I saw that INT coming a mile away because the defense seemed to to be on top of his passes prior to that and there were a bunch of near picks on the drive leading up to it. I'm hoping that Petty will step in soon, the writing seems to be on the wall. Yeah, it's hard for a coach to bench his QB with a winning record, but I think even McCown knows it will happen eventually. I know he's enjoying this whole winning thing, but you can tell he's wearing down late in games. He's struggled in the 4th overall so far.

On the INT itself, the ball was very slow and late getting to the receiver, but the receiver still should have run back toward the ball a bit, could have prevented the pick instead of standing there waiting for it, but easier said than done and doesn't excuse the late pass.

#10 Sam Hammer, Oct 9, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  11. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

People are praising Clairborne but he looked pretty pedestrian giving up the underneath on some scrub ass receivers. I wasn’t that impressed. The INT was nice, but his competition was nothing like he will see in the weeks to come.

12. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

McCown is what he is and we all know that already, but he's a smart QB who doesn't make a lot of mistakes. the reason we won we due to the mistakes of kizer who was benched and hogan as limited as he is brought the browns back and even game them their 1st lead of the season for 5 mins. McCown isn't winning us games, but he isn't losing us games either. not in the way that petty and hack presumably would or they would have won out in training camp

13. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

I gotta give credit where it's due, Darron Lee looked good. I am taking this at fools gold until he continually does stuff like this.

14. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Cantanzarro won the game for us my friends..he is the Hero against a weak opponent

90 per cent of Sunday's heros are on Defense or special teams...meh

ASJ is like our entire Offense and maybe Powell lol

KC and Carolina both put up 42 and 33 points on the Patriots this season and they hav e decent Defenses...TBH the Browns game exposed a lot of weaknesses for us e.g. No QB to connect with decent receivers

To me their were some flashes of improvement with certain players like Lee but the offensive production is just not there and this is concerning

15. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

Claiborne has quietly had a good season covering the opposing one's

Adams had his worst game but I'll give him a pass

Davis is a stud on his second go round

Cat the kicker is money

Wilk needs to go after the season

Big Cat will come around

Kearse and Kerley are solid

I waana see more of Stewart

ASJ is coming along ...

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Pats defense is bad but the Jets offense is bad also. I think that's going to cancel out this week and it's all going to come down to the ST's and the Jets defense. If we can get pressure on Brady up the middle and stop the run we have a decent shot at a win. If we can't we're going to lose a 27-17 type game.

17. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

The good news is that the Jets offense has been able to get the job done in very different ways (e.g. a bunch of long runs against Jacksonville, no runs at all against Cleveland) and NE's defense is allowing the most yards per game and the second most points in the league.

The bad news is that Tom Brady's offense is going to treat this team much like Derek Carr's did, and hang 40+ out there. Our defense is actually quite good, but it's not putting pressure on guys. The only way to beat Terrible Tom is to hit him in the mouth. He's going to pick on Buster "Yellow Flag" Skrine and Darron "what's coverage?" Lee like nobody we've seen this year.

And that's assuming Gronk misses the game (currently listed as Questionable). Actually, I'm not that worried about Gronk. I think Adams could cover him, and I think Maye could put him back in the hospital...

18. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

We got to give shout outs to our kickers, right?

Catanzaro now holds the longest field goal in team history ( 57 yd) and Edwards had 6 punts, average 51 yd with a long of 62. I was just waiting for the dreaded, 4th quarter, back breaking shank........but it never came :)

19. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

I think Brady is averaging 300+ yards a game, I don't see us slowing him down... stopping the run will not be our issue.

Their defence is not good, but it's good enough to hold off our offence.

We'll see if Todd can get lift the boys up for this one. Anything close will be a possitive.

20. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Saw that too. His blocking ability as a TE is really legit