Josh McCown - He is what he is

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ChrebetCrunch, Oct 2, 2017.

1. DefenseWinsChampionships

But yet developing younger players such as Elijah, Robby, ArDarius, Kearse & Seferian-Jenkins along with giving our defense a fighting chance.

Let's be truthful here. Petty looked like complete dog shit during the regular season last year & both of Petty/Hackenberg would be blocking our young teams development here in 2017.

Because of McCown's 71% completion percentage and 90+ QB Rating these younger kids will play a meaningful game against the New England Patriots during week 6 come Sunday.

McCown stunting development and growth? I call bullshit.

Jets69 and FanSinceBIGShea like this.
  2. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Bullshit......Petty or Hack should play who the fuck cares about McClown, playing this loser only prolongs the judgement on Petty and Hack, he is not the future. If you are developing young players why the fuck would you have an ancient QB

3. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

How exactly is Robby Anderson with his 14 total catches being developed? ArDarius Stewart with his 3 catches? Elijah McGuire with his 6.8 rushing attempts per game? How exactly does 27-year-old Jermaine Kearse, with his 51 NFL starts before this year, need developing?

The fact is that McCown has not been as terrible as everyone (including me) thought he would be, but by no stretch of the imagination has he been good. That 90.5 QB rating puts him solidly in the bottom third of starters in the league. His yards per game and yards per attempt numbers rank him even lower. The offense is ranked 26th in the league. He's been below average, with mediocre being generous.

The fact also is that we have no idea what Petty would do this year. If McCown can suddenly play better than he has in the past after more than 10 years in the league, how is it impossible that Petty could in his second year of starting? The team was awful in all aspects of the game by the time he played last year, so that is hardly the be-all and end-all of him being evaluated fairly.

In my opinion McCown shouldn't be playing, and people like McGuire, Stewart, and Anderson should be getting the ball a lot more than they are. The only argument to keeping him in is that the Jets are a legitimate playoff contender this year, and based on their 26th-ranked offense and 25th-ranked defense I don't believe that for a second. If they beat the Pats on Sunday that will change things, but two straight wins that they could have easily lost is hardly convincing. The winless Cleveland Browns completely outplayed the Jets on Sunday, and only lost through their own monumental incompetence - how is that somehow a ringing endorsement of McCown's skills?

4. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I generally agree with this entire post.

One exception: Petty only looked like dog shit last year. As I recall he got no practice and the worst play calling I have ever seen in a football game during that Rams game. And he got an offensive line that was asleep when they were supposed to protect him from Suh, Mario Williams, and Cameron Wake.

Hard to blame ANY of that on Petty.

ColoradoContrails and Cman68 like this.
  5. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

If we end up 3-13 or 4-12:

The winners will be the fans cause we pick a FQB and Toddie Bowls is out

The losers will be Petty and Hackenberg...perhaps they keep McGown as a backup

Petty will fare better than C Hack because I believe he was cheated here and has a better skill set Some team will take him in a trade imo and it might be win win the way MM has been dealing for us lately

Jets69, Cman68 and matt robinson 17 like this.
  6. FanSinceBIGShea

FanSinceBIGShea Active Member

The fact that you referred to McCown as a 'loser' must be indicative of not only the kind of person you must be, but it also sheds light on your inability to appreciate the efforts of McCown, as well as the kind of integrity-filled man he comports himself as.

7. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

McCown's an exceptional man, and competitor. There's a reason he's still in the league. I hope he ends up coaching, in the NFL or College.

#47 Walt White, Oct 11, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  8. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I think we should stop drafting college QBs altogether. Just sign old vet QBs every other year and be done so we don't have to waste time developing them and can concentrate on the defense. Why waste time and cash mentoring kids who will never play when you can just rent a QB every other year and skip the learning curve completely. No need for a QB coach either so we can save cash on salary too. win/win!

9. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

He's a nice guy and tries hard, but has limited talent, a good coaching candidate, not the future of this team ....watch the personal insults, pal!

#49 matt robinson 17, Oct 11, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2017