Another great win for these young Jets. Make that 3 consecutive!!!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DefenseWinsChampionships, Oct 8, 2017.

1. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

I see you have never coached. You sound like a parent telling a coach to play their kid. Enjoy the season if you can.

TonyFtLaud and FJF like this.
  2. hornblower

They are doing well. Have some fun watching the young guy grow.

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

LOL So what have you coached, Pop Warner? Give me a break. Even if you have coached at the collegiate level, which I doubt you have, that isn't the NFL.

The CS isn't the only one evaluating. The GM is the most important one in the evaluation process because he's the one who makes the final decision on how to handle the QB position, whether to sign a FA, draft a QB, or stick with what they have. Both may be gone next year, but there's a better chance that Mac will still be here than there is Bowles, so what Bowles thinks doesn't mean spit. We know his proclivity for veterans, and how he has never given Petty a real chance, and wouldn't know how to evaluate or develop a QB if you held a gun to his head.

4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

if this organization or coaching staff showed ANY EVIDENCE of having a clue about developing QBs, I might agree with their assessment to a point. self loathe? Try not buying into a failed POV that has only borne fruit 4 times in 50 years. this is the most QB Stupid franchise in the league as history has shown and those who choose to ignore history, sometimes repeat it. watching how the jets fucked over petty just makes me wish they either trade or cut him. either way he's better off. we'll see when who was right when Petty gets paroled after 2018. Until then? enjoy the ride to mediocreville.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

3 wins mean nothing unless Petty was at QB, so now McClown will start the rest of the season....great

6. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I agree. The only way I can rationalize it is that they were confident in Hack/Petty up until T.C., and have since lost that confidence. Perhaps they were performing better under Gailey's system last year, but were slower than expected at picking up Morton's?

7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I don't mean any disrespect by this... but who do you think has their finger on the pulse of QBs: the GMs who passed on him through three rounds and the coaching staff that's watched him for two years and the writers that watch him daily, or a fan on the internet?

hornblower likes this.
  8. BroadwayAaron

And with the way the youth around him has been developing, I'd have no problem if he started all 16.

hornblower likes this.
  9. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

That's all fine and good. The coaches/FO guys involved may not be quite the purist that you are, considering their stakes are a little higher. They almost certainly have some sort of plan for when they are going to switch guys out-- maybe it's 6 games, maybe it's 8 games and then reassess depending on our playoff chances. The idea that they'll bring back McCown seems pretty outlandish. If they were going to do that, why not just sign him to a two-year deal anyway? Hell, if they were going to do that, they could have just signed Fitzpatrick to the deal he wanted last year...

I want Petty to start. I wish he was already starting. I think it's fair to give McCown this Pats game coming up, as it's probably the most high-pressure game this team will face in 2017. The Jets will almost certainly lose, and then it will be easy to bring in Petty, and he will be set up to succeed.

My real concern is that the powers that be have already decided that Petty is not the answer, and they're letting McCown start the first 8-10 games then going directly to Hack to close out the season. I can't imagine that's the best way to go, but I don't see these guys in practice, either.

If the Jets somehow do beat the Pats, then the situation changes considerably--not so much for us as fans, but very much for guys with their careers on the line.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. matt robinson 17

Won't help us in the long run who cares if McClown develops chemistry with Stewart, McGwire or Anderson he's 38, we need a future QB not a stiff that's played for 10 different teams

11. BroadwayAaron

That's a pretty narrow view you have.

FJF likes this.
  12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Matt hope isn't lost here yet. They won 3 games and 2 of them were gifted to them. They will come crashing back to earth hard and we will see a healthy dose of the young QBs soon.

Mcclown has never gotten through all 16 games in his life anyway

NYJetsO12 and matt robinson 17 like this.
  13. matt robinson 17

Wouldn't benefit them to get their timing down and grow together with a young QB who will be here for a while as opposed to a 38 year old?

Cman68 and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. matt robinson 17

I agree Browning

BrowningNagle likes this.
  15. matt robinson 17

The whole team is young, why have a 38 yr old QB, makes no sense....you listening Cman?

16. BroadwayAaron

Two things here:

1. You're assuming Petty is going to be here for a while and that's one of the least safe assumptions you could make.

2. Some of these guys have NO game experience before this season. They need to learn how to play at the pro-level (in many ways) and doing that with a game managing QB that has a calming influence and strong leadership is one of the best ways to do it. That old learn to walk before you fly adage.

TonyFtLaud and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  17. matt robinson 17

We need to develop a QB, you don't know what Petty or Hack has unless they play, we know what the other guy can do

18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I'm of the opinion that Morton after evaluating the kids in preseason felt they needed more work. I truly believe he was unpleasantly surprised as to how little development was done by the prior regime. They went all in with Hack, doing a huge disfavor to Petty and he fell short. I think Morton expected Petty to be much further along, but he was surprised as to how little development was done under Gailey and Bowles Like in zero. At the end of the day Petty did pretty well with the scrubs but not enough to convince Bowles. Morton stated that Petty was essentially a talented rookie going into training camp. I blame the current situation to the dismal development by the prior OC staff.
    So now we still don't know what we have in house, more work is needed, and Bowles will sure as shit not pull the plug unless the season is totally lost or McCown gets hurt.

#158 LAJet, Oct 10, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  19. hornblower

I think I'm glad my kids didn't play for you. Enjoy the season and stop being so angry.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Then Mcclown can be the calming influence on the sidelines as a coach. You are buying their excuse but the truth is the staff figured they would all be out of a job after the season so Morton wanted a veteran to run his "system" so he can add a year of decent tape to his resume for his next job.

Everyone on that sideline is out for personal gain, they aren't building anything.

NYJetsO12 and matt robinson 17 like this.