Another great win for these young Jets. Make that 3 consecutive!!!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DefenseWinsChampionships, Oct 8, 2017.

1. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

I think they know enough about Petty and Hack. That's why they aren't playing now. House money, enjoy the season.

Kris 15 likes this.
  2. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

sure about that?
    'cause this was exactly the situation last year and this stinky motherfucking imitation of HC played Fitz until the bitter end... end then some

3. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

I swear to God, in the history of TGG this has got to be the dumbest, laziest, most illogical argument EVER made.

How can anyone possibly know enough about a QB without actually playing them?!?!! In a real game with a real game plan?
    How can you evaluate a QB with run-run-pass plan... on EVERY fucking drive?!

But it's not even about that...
    Who "THEY"?? Toilet? Already-fired-Gailey??
    You trust motherfucking Bowles with QB evaluation? Same Bowles whose decisions you drag through the mud after every game, and every practice; twice weekly during OS? THAT'S the guy you now blindly trust that Petty and Hack should be thrown out?

Would you stop parroting Tank and Kay and BitterGreka and for a fucking second TRY to think on your own?!?!

4. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Coaches evaluate based on practice. That's their job. They see what we fans do not.

5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

My lord. It's the internet man, calm down. Accept that there are other opinions besides yours and that they may even be closer to correct. It'll all be ok, I promise.

HomeoftheJets and westiedog1 like this.
  6. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Right on the money. I could not agree with you more on this point. I'm so unhappy about not playing the kids I can't see straight. We are driving towards one more year of McCown and loose at least one if not two of these kids, without even knowing their potential.
    And don't let some of the folks here kid you into thinking that the front office already knows. Neither Gailey nor Bowles took the time, the effort or the commitment to gradually give them the exposure and field development they desperately needed. Our new OC essentially found two rookies with zero development behind them.

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Well, I think you think incorrectly. How are they supposed to know enough? Practice and preseason games aren't the same as regular season games. Petty only had a few last year when he was coming off of injury, had little practice time, the vets had already quit on the season, and it was a different offense. Hack hasn't played at all. He still needs work, but should be studying like a fiend in the film room and mentally going through reps, in addition to being the scout team QB and he needs to get at least 4 games at the end of the year so the Jets can gauge his progress.

#127 NCJetsfan, Oct 9, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

Yes, they evaluate during practice, and they see more than we do, but they also evaluate during preseason and regular season games. Players can only learn so much standing on the sidelines and studying film. They have to play to learn and improve. Coaches also can be wrong. How long did Brady stand on the sideline behind Drew Bledsoe? Do you honestly think that if Belichik thought Brady was better than Bledsoe that he would have stayed on the sideline? No. It took an injury to Bledsoe for Brady to get on the field and the rest has been history.

Some players play a lot better in games than they do in practice. The competition and the fans bring out the best in them.

IMO your opinion is as ridiculous as solidgoldbowles' that rebuilding only happens during the offseason.

9. BroadwayAaron

I don't know how at 3-2 with a functioning offense behind a game-managing QB that limits mistakes and completes 70% of his passes, people are still wondering why Petty isn't starting. McCown doing what he's doing is just as important for the development of youth as anything else that could possibly be happening.

10. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

With a new Offensive Coordinator, a bunch of very young WRs and TEs, and filler at virtually all of the OL positions, I have to think McCown is playing almost entirely for the purpose of getting the offense installed, keeping the defense from being on the field for 59 minutes a game, and instilling some confidence in these players (not to mention fans and front office folks) that the offense actually works if executed properly, and thus that the coaches are worth trusting going forward with a young QB.

Once the rest of the Offense is fully functioning, Petty/Hack can come in and we can actually evaluate their play, rather than just their response to chaos.

At the very worst is prepares all our other young players, on both sides of the ball to play properly and competitively next year with Petty/Hack/QBMessiahFirstRoundGuy.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  11. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

With all due respect you can not be serious. The "so called" QB competition was a sham. When a 38 yr old get the bulk of 1st team reps + the guy that played better than the others gets 3rd string reps it's BS. Unless of course, facts are meaningless to you.

What you saw form Mac yesterday is Mac being Mac. He is serviceable nothing more. he is a good teammate and upbeat but he is also not the FQB of this team. Like Fitz, he is playing well that coupled with TB being ultra conservative to a fault and playing Vets well there you have the current scenario.

I like the fact that this team is fighting and it's a credit to the CS and TB (and I am no fan of TB) but he needs to play Petty and if he fails at least we learn what we have. AS for Hack, he is simply not ready and may never be based on his sample,

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  12. BroadwayAaron

Maybe I missed it, but what QB outplayed McCown and got 3rd team reps?

TonyFtLaud and hornblower like this.
  13. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

McCown didn't play. It was all about showcasing Hackenberg this preseason. Petty got stuck playing ONLY with the 3rd team because the HC tried his best to make Hack the starter. Petty came in against the 3's and kicked ass. People forget Petty did this while playing WITH the 3's. Why did Petty only played with the 3's and NEVER with the starters even though McCown wasn't playing? Hackenberg was supposed to be the heir apparent. Hackenberg was supposed to vindicate Macc for drafting him when he did. Petty screwed all of that up by playing well. The worst day of Petty's existence was getting drafted by the Jets.

#133 Cman68, Oct 9, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

This approach has some merit...IF we saw any evidence that Macc & Bowles believe that Petty or Hack can be starters for this team. But if they did believe this why did they handle the P.S. reps the way they did? And if they DON'T believe that Petty or Hack can be starters, why in the hell didn't they draft someone who could be?

Maybe at the time of the draft, Macc believed that Hack and Petty could be starters, so he didn't draft a QB. But then why did they so quickly give up on Petty, relegating him to 3rd team status? If they knew this BEFORE T.C. then again, why didn't Macc draft a QB, given that all he had on hand was a 38 year old journeyman, an unproven "red shirt", and a "3rd team QB"?

What this all amounts to is piss-poor handling of the most important position on the team.

15. NCJetsfan

I agreed with that for the first 4 games. No more. The offense is established. I don't think there's anything that McCown can bring to the table that Petty can't except experience. The rushing attack has worked well in a couple of games and the passing attack has been better than expected.

We're now heading into week 6 and it's time to hand the reins over to Petty. Petty should get an extended look (at least 6-8 games), and Hack should get 4 games at the end of the season. If they don't hand the ball over to Petty soon, it will be a wasted season in terms of evaluating Petty and Hack and the Jets will still have little clue as to what they need to do at QB. This is even more true considering the way the "top" collegiate B prospects have been playing. The Jets may be in a position where they have to count on Petty and Hack next year, and both need experience and evaluation.

Besides, with McCown's limitations, he is holding the offense back in some respects. The Jets gain little by continuing to play him and have a lot to lose. Petty can hand the ball off, can make the deep throws, opening up the field for the underneath routes and the rushing attack.

If Bowles doesn't hand the ball to Petty soon, I'm gonna want him fired regardless of how well the team does the rest of the year. It would be utterly foolish imo to bring back McCown or sign another JAG QB to play next year, unless both Petty and Hack have proven that they are not the answer, and they haven't proven that yet. It would be just as foolish to keep playing McCown I don't care what reason or excuse they give for doing so. They need to get Petty ready NOW, determine if he can be more than a backup, and work more on developing Hack or determine if he's going to be able to make reads, improve his accuracy and develop into a starter. They would be just as foolish to count on relying on Petty, Hack and a rookie next year without giving Petty and Hack significant playing time this year (read multiple games).

#135 NCJetsfan, Oct 9, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  16. ColoradoContrails

I didn't see the game, but when the offense only generated 34 yards rushing, and McCown completes 70% of his passes but only racks up 194 yards against maybe the worst team in the NFL, what the hell was Bowles waiting for to try Petty? This bodes ill for Bowles making the switch at all, and that will be unforgivable IMO.

Edit:

If Macc & Bowles really thought that little of Petty and Hack, why the hell didn't they draft a QB? This is becoming a real indictment against their ability to solve the biggest problem on this team.

LAJet and NCJetsfan like this.
  17. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Bowles: "When the season starts, it's critical for the head coach to block all that 'player development' bullshit out".

18. ColoradoContrails

If that's an actual quote, I'm not surprised, but Macc ought to override that approach, and if he doesn't the Jets are in trouble.

19. BroadwayAaron

How could you even think that's real? Especially considering players ARE being developed through the first 5 weeks of the season.

20. BroadwayAaron

I was responding to a post that stated he outplayed McCown.

Petty isn't that good. The coaches saw him as the third best QB in camp as did a lot of the writers who watched him daily. I don't take their word as Bible but it says something when the only people clamoring for Petty are a bunch of armchair internet GMs.

He's the 2 now, and that's what his role is probably going to be in the NFL from here on out. That's not the Jets fault. He's a 4th round QB that comes from a school that doesn't run a pro style offense and rarely produces pro QBs. It's fun to self-loathe and blame the Jets but let reality take over for a second. You'll see the actual issues.

FJF likes this.