Next years QB if the Jets win too many games

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Oct 7, 2017.

1. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

Realistically McCown, Hack, and a drafted QB will go into training camp..It's pretty clear the organization hates Petty.

ColoradoContrails and Cman68 like this.
  2. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I'm ok with keeping one. But as far as QB exposure here is my opinion:
    The first two years for Petty were a massive waste of time under Gailey and Bowles. They gave him roughly zero time and no real attention. He had no chance to develop because no one took the time to fit him in the rotation and coach him.
    In year 3 under a real OC Petty flourished non withstanding the fact that they had him picking up scraps to maximize Hacks exposure. Thats ok, Hack needed the work, but jointly we wasted 2016 by playing a totally ineffective, useless Fitz until the team was deciminated of all talent. By then no QB could have done shit, never mind a rookie like Petty.
    This organization is the one to blame for totally hosing both kids with absolute lack of development and idiot coaches making comments like " couldn't hit the ocean". Hope those morons are long gone and we find out who to keep in earnest. Otherwise we will rinse and repeat the idiot cycle no matter who the next rookie QB is.

ColoradoContrails and Cman68 like this.
  3. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

I'd take Cousins in a heart beat, even at over $25M a year. Hes probably going to get even more than that.

He's on pace for a third straight 4,000 yard 25 to 28 td season. Jets have had one 4,000 yard season once and it was Namath 50 years ago!

Jonathan_Vilma and grkmanga31 like this.
  4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Bingo. Pundits like to whine about how QBs are overpaid. But there's no better way to spend cap money than on a good QB.

dmw and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Unless Hack pulls off a quantum leap next year he doesn't belong on an NFL roster.

6. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

You know what drives me crazy watching McCown. WE GAVE FITZ 12 MILLION #$!#@!#@!$@ DOLLARS!

Royal Tee likes this.
  7. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member

Lets worry about it when the off season hits. Nothing you can really do now.

8. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Think this all depends on whether Macc believed Hack or Petty are the answer (I'm going to assume no) and whether he thinks any of the QB's are worth trading up. We stand at 3-2 and if I don't think there are many winnable games left on the schedule. So realistically, let's say we get a top 5 or 6 pick, Jets will be on the outside looking in. Jets will either have to trade a boatload of draft capital (2 1's maybe 1 2nd round pick, a player?) or bank on Macc, or maybe another GM to legitimately scout QB and pick the one they feel is best. The QB's that I want to key in on are Rosen, Darnold, and Luke Falk. If we have a shot at one of them, i'm more inclined to go ahead and get one even if it means trading up.

westiedog1 likes this.
  9. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

I hope that we find out what Petty has before the Jets kick him to the curve. Really expected/hope for the best from that kid. If nothing else, I hope that Mac inquires about the availability of both Grappolo and Hundley, either of which would come hungry and challenge Hackenberg. If the ask is too high for either of those guys and (Petty shows nothing this year), I'd be fine with Mac trading the farm for who he thinks is his guy, so long as it's a QB that is ready to start day 1.

10. FanSinceBIGShea

FanSinceBIGShea Active Member

Then there is always the chance Josh McCown will QB this team for one more season (which wouldn't be a bad thing necessarily) while mentoring a young QB next season, be it Petty or a QB the Jets may like enough to pick in the draft. However, this is all needless conjecture at this point. We're 3-2, enjoy this ride, it's 2017, worry about 2018 when we get there.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  11. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

I still believe in Hack. He could be the next Cousins.

Royal Tee likes this.
  12. Laxg41

Laxg41 Well-Known Member

Sigh it will be mccown next year and a random late round qb

Cman68 likes this.
  13. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Maybe a distant one... :confused:

donkey, HomeoftheJets and Jeti like this.
  14. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Falk looked awesome last night.

grkmanga31 and westiedog1 like this.
  15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

OMG! If we go that same old tried and failed route: trying to win a SB with "D" - I will be done.

The NFL has made certain that "O" drives the product. You cannot construct the "unbeatable defense" in this day and age in the NFL.

16. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

True, but if we don't have "O", then what would you recommend? Put our draft picks into special teams?

17. ColoradoContrails

But I think we DO have some "O", and if they focused on that this draft instead of "D" it could be a fairly good offense.

Thinking you can construct a "shut down defense" is delusional, and it prevents you from upgrading the offense to be able to compete in today's NFL.

18. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

In general, if you don't have a franchise QB, you better have a franchise defense, just to have a shot. Just thinking back to how the Jets ALMOST made in in '09 and '10 and how the Giants DID make it (twice) with above avg QB play and a suffocating defense.

All things being equal we'd have our own Tommy Brady under center, but we don't.

If our team can only manage 20 pts a game, better make damn sure the other team is held to 19.

19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I doubt the Pats are moving Jimmy G. But I also don't want some other teams career backup quarterback in reference to Hundley. It very rarely works out.

Matt Flynn comes to mind obviously. Schaub was OK for those really good Texans teams but he wasn't a franchise quarterback and flamed out.

That being said I brought up McCarron before but in the hopes that the Bengals would keep him and move Dalton.

I can't remember a recent case of a backup mid round quarterback being moved that actually turned out to be the real deal. Steve Young and Brett Favre, yes, but that was eons ago.

20. ColoradoContrails

But you're not going to hold playoff caliber teams down. You need to be able to keep pace with them.

Besides, with the massive investment in "D" by the Jets what have they won?

westiedog1 likes this.