Next years QB if the Jets win too many games

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Passepartout

Passepartout Active Member

Wonder if the Jets could try to get Jimmy G. As really he is doing no good sitting on the bench. Waiting his potential.

2. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

We could do a lot worse than Cousins.

3. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

What is Rex Grossman doing these days?

westiedog1 and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  4. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

Sure, but at 25M a year?

5. JethroTull

Again-he will cost between 20-25M a year. Is he that much better than McCown?

6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I wonder if Andy Dalton and/or AJ McCarron will be on the trading block this year.

Cincinnati will likely finally move on from Marvin Lewis and I'd imagine the new coach may want to bring his own guy in.

I'm not in love with either. I'd prefer Dalton honestly because he's much more proven and McCarron could end up being TJ Yates or Matt Flynn.

Dalton is a good distributor. I say that because he needs good pieces around him to make the plays for him. He won't wow you with anything he does but he's still a starting caliber NFL quarterback that would be worth a long hard look if the price tag is reasonable.

148 touchdowns to 85 interceptions in his career on 62.9 completion percentage. He's also 57-38-2 for his career. Dude has won a lot of NFL games and has a good command of NFL offenses. He hasn't completed less than 64% of his passes since 2013.

He would also be a calming presence for an young offense while only making $16.3, $16.2 and $17.7 million over the next three seasons.

#26 Jonathan_Vilma, Oct 7, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but everyone from the media on down is fucking around with options on marginal exposure QBs, or overprice free agents that never reached the FQB status, but no one is remotely thinking about giving Petty and or Hack a chance.
    What the fuck is wrong with this picture? Are people hallucinating that with the exception of may be two out of the whole 2018 QB draft class can actually start from day one? Every one is so gun happy about trying an unknown and not give Petty or Hack due diligence.

8. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

We'll go on to having another "QB competition" and will widely be regarded as having the worst QB situation in the league again. We won't be lucky with an easy schedule next year and Bowles will be fired. #Jetlife

BleedingGreen55 and BomberJet like this.
  9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

There are better options than Petty and Hackenberg. Cousins, Dalton, Bradford, and Alex Smith included in those better options.

But I sort of agree with you. The problem is that Bowles and co. won't give them any regular season run this year and I highly doubt we go into 2018 with only those two as the potential starting options.

Jets69 likes this.
  10. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

For todays modern passing game, you need the following things to be successful in priority.

1.) You need a QB that can get the ball to the open receivers and be smart enough not to turn the ball over.
    2.) You need an offensive line that can pass block really well which starts with your offensive tackles.
    3.) You need receivers that can get open right away.
    4.) You need Running backs and Tight ends that can block to help assist with protecting the QB.
    5.) You need a decent running game to keep the defense honest.

So having #1 with out 2-5 will not work. So while looking for a FQB, why not deal with 2-5 in the meantime? If you hit it big in this years draft with a FQB, you will need a 1-2 years to develop as a FQB. Just my opinion here.

Jets81 likes this.
  11. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

We have a decent running game with Powell and McGuire
    Our TE are deep with ASJ having a comeback year ..he also blocks
    We have a load of receivers in Kelley Anderson and now Marshall Plus three promising rookies
    McGown is not great but serviceable till FQB comes

OL is only real problem

On D we got K Ealy whom you guys coughed up to us haha

So what are you blathering about?????

12. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

FQB hasn't been born yet..

13. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I think with Brady getting older, if the Pats feel he's the real deal then there's absolutely no chance they let him walk. It'd be so foolish.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

westiedog1 likes this.
  14. JethroTull

Wow! Petty got some playing time last year and looked overwhelmed. The organization has had him in the building now for three years and obviously don't feel he is the answer.

Hackenberg was given every chance to win the starting job in the preseason and completely shit the bed to the point that folks in the organization aren't even sure if he can play in this league.

There is no way the organization could justify keeping both Petty and Hackenberg next year as their developmental options. I'm an advocate of keeping one and drafting another to go along with a cheap capable vet.

15. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

If we miss out on Sam because we finished 7-9, 8-8 that's fine. That means we don't deserve a top pick b/c we aren't that far away. We'll be forced to take the path of an above avg QB with a good o-line and supporting cast and a suffocating defense. This receipt got us within 15 mins of the SB twice in the last 8 yrs, and it may be the only path the football gods give us. Maybe our defense will show up this time. Maybe Adams will tip a pass that Scott missed by 1/4".

16. Cman68

Petty got playing time with a team that had already quit on the season. He was coached by a HC that is defense centric, a dinosaur for an OC and a HS calibre oline to protect him. The organization doesn't feel he's the answer because they don't have a fuckin clue what that answer is. The only coach that has even worked with a FQB on the staff is Morton. Unfortunately, he's not the HC... yet.

Hackenberg was given every chance to win the starting job but didn't because....The organization doesn't have a fuckin clue how to draft or develop young QB talent. Maybe Morton does...

There is no way the organization can justify keeping both Petty and Hacc but when given the chance to trade Petty they refused for whatever reason. With Petty coming up on the last year of his rookie deal, it shouldn't come as a surprise that the Jets will either get what they can for him or release him outright which would be the best thing ever to happen to Petty since being drafted. We all know Petty will NEVER get a chance to play here because... The organization doesn't have a fuckin clue. I would like to think Petty isn't stupid enough to believe he'll ever get a shot here. Time is not his friend as he's over 25 now and had better start making moves if he ever plans on playing regularly. Hacc otoh, has time to "develop" so I guess they can keep him around another 4-5 years or as long as Macc is here. The potential is there for Hacc to finally become the FQB. The potential is also there for the Yellowstone SuperVolcano to erupt too. I wonder which will happen first..

#36 Cman68, Oct 8, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  17. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

If we could pay Wilk 20 mil a season I see no reason why we can't give Kirk 25 !

HomeoftheJets and Jets69 like this.
  18. Cman68

Next year's Jet QB will the the same as this year's Jet QB. They'll find a reason to resign McCown so he can continue "mentoring" Hacc and so it goes with the Jets.

dogg, Peebag and BomberJet like this.
  19. Jetsfansince95

Hack, Ealy, Martin, Forte, Burris, Roberts, Gwacham, are inactive - Leggett and Jones 2 of our picks will make their debut today

20. Jetsfansince95

Marcus Williams should get a good amount of snaps ...