How Kony Easy ranks after 4 games!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Oct 4, 2017.

1. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

• That's Kony Ealy not Easy
    • For sure one of the best Mac moves this year
    • Edge defender Kony Ealy is having a career year with the New York Jets, currently ranking 14th among 103 qualifying edge defenders with an overall grade of 84.0. His pass-rush grade of 84.0 ranks 12th.
    • Ealy finished with three total pressures from the right side against the Jacksonville Jaguars. Only five edge defenders had more pressures from the right side in Week 4. He finished the game with an overall grade of 85.5, the fifth highest among all edge defenders in Week 4.
    • His seven total pressures from the right side this season ranks 18th among 92 qualifying edge defenders. His pass-rush productivity (measures pressure on per-snap basis with weighting toward sacks) of 10.5 from the right side ranks 14th among 46 qualifying edge defenders with at least 40 pass-rush snaps from the right side.

#1 BudJet, Oct 4, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  2. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

3. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any real insight into his outright release from New England?

I searched online for this info yesterday, and all I could find was Belichick basically saying that it just didn't work out in terms of Ealy's skill set versus the Pats overall plans.

This is intriguing because New England isn't exactly the Steel Curtain this year. It seems like there must be more to this story.

What does Ealy lack that Belichick expected to get?

4. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Like so many Jet fans.....always looking for the negative. The guy is a good player, young, and showed a lot of character
    To be with the team this weekend after the loss of his sister this past week.

NCJetsfan, Royal Tee and K'OB like this.
  5. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

He
    got
    He got released because Belichick is just as capable as Toilet of making a shit for brains move. Patsy fans up here claim he was late for a meeting. So Belichick in all of his infinite wisdom, released him to set an example for the others. Instead, he's got a front 7 that David Harris rarely plays in. He's clearly washed up and not worth the money Belichick is paying him. They get pushed all over the place.

Beli thought the others would fill the void and he was very wrong.

Mogriffjr likes this.
  6. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

Can we keep him as a Jet beyond this year? Love his play but it will feel a bit empty if he turns out to be a one year rental. We do have a ton of cap space but will need to pay Leo sooner or later. Maybe Wilk becomes the odd man out.

Jonathan_Vilma and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

8. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Belichick defense for the last fifteen years: Take the best quarterback of his generation and outscore your opponents.

He could put the UMass Amherst defense out there this year and they’d still win the division by four games. He ain’t losing sleep over Kony Ealy having the game of his life last weekend.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

I don't think he's digging for negatives dude. There had to reason why he was released and he was just checking to see why. Doesn't mean it's a negative for us whatever the reason. Did you know?
    Ealy has been a good pick up for us, no doubt, and we're getting more from that spot than we did last year so far, and looks like a player.

#9 Walt White, Oct 4, 2017
  10. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Check this post after Thursday's game and it might not ring so true.

11. DefenseWinsChampionships

Say no more.

Would be epic if Belly & NE let this kid go, only for Ealy to breakout & emerge as a household name at OLB for our Jets. One could only hope he learned a thing or two during his short stint within that Patriots locker room.

I'm a fan of athletic abilities especially on defense with DE's/OLB's and for being listed at 6'4 damn near 300 (275) lbs at the age of only 25 i don't know if it's just me; but his agility has jumped through my TV screen at times. He's definitely shown flashes thus far.

Carolina took this kid 2nd round. Hopefully he breaks out with a 2nd chance.

12. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

First Carolina moves him, then the Pats* do. These are young guys and some adjust and some don't.
    But if this dude can keep it together they may have scored big like it appears they have with ASJ. They both can play.

Kony Ealy 'motivated' to prove Jets right

Sep 8, 2017 Lenn Robbins

New York Jets fans are sick of hearing of about how the New England Patriotsalmost always get it right -- even if it’s true -- while their team almost always gets it wrong.

A little role reversal, courtesy of defensive lineman Kony Ealy, might be in play.

The Jets recently signed Ealy after he was waived by the Pats. It cost Gang Green nothing.

New England, by comparison, paid a significant price to acquire Ealy. The Patriots sent a 2017 second-round draft pick and a third-round pick to the Carolina Panthers for the former Super Bowl 50 standout.

Ealy and New England never worked. Ealy hinted prior to his release there might have been issues with Patriots coach Bill Belichick.

“Me and him had something going on," Ealy said after he did not participate in the first day of training camp with New England.

With the Jets set to open the season Sunday in Buffalo against the Bills, Ealy wasn’t about to write another chapter in the Jets-Pats rivalry.

But speaking in front of his locker Friday, one could sense Ealy has a seething desire to stir it up exactly three weeks to the day since New England released him.

“What I can do for this defense is be disruptive and give them my experience of being in the playoffs and in the Super Bowl," Ealy said. “It’s not just a one-man show, obviously, but we’re going to work together.

“We’ve got a great group of talented guys on this defense, and we’re going to turn some heads."

A lot of heads were turned Thursday night when Ealy’s former team, the Patriots, surrendered 42 points in a 15-point loss to the Kansas City Chiefs. Ealy, who said he watched the game, was asked if he thought he could have helped the Pats.

“I don't think about that," Ealy said. “I’ve moved on. They’ve moved on. My objective now is to focus on this game, this weekend, this game we have at task, and focus on how to beat them."

The Jets will have to contain LeSean McCoy, one of the shiftiest backs in the league, and dual-threat quarterback Tyrod Taylor, who has cleared concussion protocol.

Ealy, 25, has proven on the biggest stage that he can be a disrupter. He had three sacks in Carolina's Super Bowl 50 loss to the Denver Broncos. The Panthers took Ealy in the second round of the 2014 draft, 60th overall. He was outstanding in stretches, a flaw the Pats thought they could correct.

“He was motivated when he came here," Jets coach Todd Bowles said. “I don’t know what happened in New England or Carolina. I can’t speak on that.

“But we like the player. We like the way he’s practicing. He’s been motivated since he came in the door, so I can’t say he's been extra-motivated, but I know he’s motivated."

#12 Walt White, Oct 4, 2017
    NCJetsfan, NYJetsO12 and twown like this.
  13. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

The Jets recently signed Ealy after he was waived by the Pats. It cost Gang Green nothing.

New England, by comparison, paid a significant price to acquire Ealy. The Patriots sent a 2017 second-round draft pick and a third-round pick to the Carolina Panthers for the former Super Bowl 50 standout[/QUOTE]

Incorrect. The Patriots traded a 2nd round pick to Carolina. In return, the Patriots received Kony Early and the Panthers 3rd round draft choice. The Patriots dropped a round and got a player they then released.

Walt White and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

We signed a beast

Hooray for us!!!!!!

NCJetsfan, Burnz and MeanGreens08 like this.
  15. DefenseWinsChampionships

I think it's awesome that during the SB against Manning & the Broncos, Kony Ealy racked up 4 tackles, 1 forced fumble, 1 INT and 3 sacks. Had Carolina won that game; Ealy would've easily been awarded SB MVP award. Hands down too.

Kid showed up to play during the biggest game of his life & i respect that.

K'OB likes this.
  16. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

It's kind of funny how Mac's last minute waiver-wiring has added four very important players in the lineup. Kearse, Kerley, Ealy and Bass. The tankers sure won't like that, but you have to give him credit.

Ealy is the one that intrigues me the most because of his youth, talent, draft pedigree and that he's already performed at MVP-caliber level, as a previous poster noted, on the highest stage of the game. Let's hope he continues to play well and becomes a key piece of the defense for the coming years because given what we know and what we've seen, this isn't out of the question.

wewantsapp and NCJetsfan like this.
  17. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

He's been a great pick up, but I'm not sure he's a long term answer for us. He's an UFA after this season, and is probably looking at a big contract. I'm guessing that is his primary motivation right now. Do we shell out another mega-deal to keep a DL or should we use that cap space to fill holes elsewhere?

18. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Very good point. That depends how he plays the rest of the season and then what kind of contract he's looking for. There will be plenty of cap space available if he looks like a legitimate player

19. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Yes being in a contract year helps but mind you he's on some motivation after Ealy and BB didn't exactly "gel" before he was exiled. But make no mistake, he's very talented and really cancels out moving on from Sheldon. Even better is that you can sign him to a nice deal because he likely won't command mega bucks.

Plus hes a very nice edge rusher which the Jets have lacked in the past few years. Maybe between Ealy and Bass, the Jets could have solved the edge rush woes.

20. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Blasphemy.

This GM lacks foresight!

True salvation lies in the #1 overall pick. You heard it here first.

NCJetsfan likes this.