Youth sports

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by FJF, Sep 30, 2017.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

so, daughter had a soccer game today that turned in to a blowout in the 2nd half. when the score reached 7-0 my daughter's team was told if they score again they would lose the game. so now, for the last 10 minutes of the game they just played keep away from the other team.which, to me anyway, seemed to demoralize the poor girls more than a possible 10-0 score would have. daughter's coach rotated the offense and defense to put the best players on d when it was 4-0 and instructed the kids to pass 4 times before trying to shoot at 6-0 but it was just an overly matched team.
    am i wrong in thinking these rules are stupid and not helping the kids?

2. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

No you're not wrong. They should do like kids baseball, just end the game at 10 runs.

Fack, why can't the Jets have a rule like this?

HomeoftheJets and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  3. Bellows1

Having said that... Your coach should use a little judgement too. Nothing wrong with winning 6-3.

4. FJF

then your asking the goalie to let a few through. you have to let the kids play the game the way it's supposed to be played. coach did what he could. changing the way they play because of the score seems to insult the other team more than playing it straight and rising running up the score.

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I'm completely fine with mercy rules. No reason for a team to win 26-0 in a Little League game. But to tell the team that they will lose the game if they score again? That's awful and not how any sport is designed to be played.

This is a part of the damn everyone gets a trophy generation. It's disgusting. Your kid sucks? Maybe he or she should start playing the cello. Everyone does not get a trophy in any aspect of life. This is why these next generations are being setup for failure. No accountability when they are not good at something.

The 'not my kid' mentality. Little Timmy got a 58 on his math test. Don't worry, Timmy. It wasn't you! It must've been that shitty teacher teaching you the wrong way. Not because you spent 20 minutes on homework and studying this week while spending 20 hours playing Minecraft.

There's so much parent driven politics in youth sports too that it can take the fun away from the game.

Sorry. End rant a little bit. I came from a blue collar family where if you lost then you probably played a shitty game and you need to get better at what you're doing. It wasn't anyone's fault other then mine and my teams performance. It's frustrating because I grew up the definition of middle class in a rich pampered area filled with parents that had that not my kid mentality.

6. FJF

I said they should just mercy rule it at a 7 goal lead. Like I said, the not being allowed to score seemed more embarrassing than if they got the game called early to a mercy rule. We are not doing these kids any favors trying to protect their feelings.

Red Menace and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

James Harrison said it best. If I remember correctly he returned his boys 'participation' trophys.

[​IMG]

FJF likes this.
  8. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

That is pretty ridiculous. They had a different system when my daughter played rec league, once you were up by 7 or 10, can't remember which, they would just have you play a player down. Every other goal scored you would have another player sit.

This helped by not demoralizing the other team by giving them a better chance to score and the girls on our team got better by playing short a player.

When she moved up to competitive it was anything goes and even at 12-13 years old these girls were brutal. Rough slide tackles, elbows everywhere, a few girls had to be carted off, good times. Parents were the worst though, I actually had a parent scream at my 13 year old daughter and threaten her for making her daughter look silly.

One thing I really hated about rec league was end of year, after she and her team dominated, never lost a game and won most by at least 5-6 goals, they had the trophy ceremony, everyone gets the same size trophy. That is how you make kids soft, never giving them the desire to overachieve because the under achievers will be rewarded the same anyway. We made sure the girls knew they were champions with a big pizza party.

On the passing 4 times. We actually pushed the "pass at least 3 times before shooting", early in the season, and it paid dividends towards the end of the season. The girls would move it around much better which opened up more scoring chances.

MoWilkBeast and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  9. Bellows1

Sportsmanship is a valuable life lesson.
    I ain't saying they have to lay down, but playing the second or third string players in the second half, would help both teams get better.
    I coached my daughter's 6th grade softball team. However being a very small school, to field a team, we used 6th, 5th, but mostly 4th and 3rd graders.
    Most of the other coaches would throttle back after a couple innings and everyone had fun. There were a few who didn't, and it was miserable.
    I don't believe in "everyone gets a trophy", but these are kids trying to have fun.

10. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Well, that's life in the fast-paced slam-bang, live-on-the-razor's-edge, laugh-in-the-face-of-death world of junior league soccer.

11. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

I certainly don't agree with mercy rules or giving the opposition a few goals, but what a good coach here in the UK often does once it's clear his team is going to win by a good margin, on top of swapping players around, is instructing the better team to play 2-touch. Not only does this make it much harder for the better team to score because they are only allowed to touch the ball twice before passing it, but it also improves their ball control, running off the ball, etc. It challenges the better team whilst making it a bit easier for the opponents to be competitive. In the OP situation it's a much better option than just keeping the ball away from the other team without trying to score.

Bellows1 and FJF like this.
  12. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Yes, the rules are stupid. Good God, whatever happened to good old-fashioned steamrolling? Oh, right, it went the way of red pens and big fat red marks on tests that say 'WRONG!' Now teachers use purple pens so children can avoid the shame or being WRONG and never learning from their mistakes. I can't stand sports parents (a/k/a trophy parents - you know the type, the kind of bully a-holes who live vicariously through their kids and sometimes drive them to suicide in the pursuit of perfection), but helicopter parents are just as bad. What a way to raise an entitled wuss.

Worse than your kid's game, FJF, is not keeping score at all because that there is just damn demoralizing. Gone are the days of having a major crash on your bike, scraping up your knees, forearms, face, whatever and having your Dad tell you to quit yer bellyaching and just rub some dirt on it. Childless by choice here. That actually makes me better equipped to spot shitty parenting because I'm far more objective and not emotionally invested. I also don 't care if some dolt gets in my face for telling their kid who was apparently raised by wolves to sit down and STFU and stop acting like an animal. Somebody has to do it. I've also done it with family back in the day. It went over like lead, but hell if I was gonna apologize. I didn't. Nope.

13. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

I'm perfectly fine with a mercy saying once you are up X number of goals, the game is just over. Neither team will learn anything from it.

But to threaten to disqualify a team for being too good? That has no place in sports or life.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  14. joe

joe Well-Known Member

total b.s. by the league officials - that's what gong rules are for.

score, take the 'loss' and let the league sort it all out.

15. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Having coached and parented players on teams in both situations, there is a time and place for some type of mercy rule and it is usually welcomed for all involved. It just should not sacrifice the integrity of the game.

Some sports make it easier than others. In Softball it was 15 runs after 3 innings, 10 runs after 4, 8 runs after 5. Because you are not allowed to lead off, coaches could send runners off early for an out without sacrificing stats or batting average in the event of a 20 run blowout.

In Pop Warner, I cannot remember the points, but in the second half it would become a running clock with no stopping. At another points diff -- when on offense you could only run between the tackles. This speeds the game up without running up the score too bad or humiliating the other team.

I do not know jack shit about soccer or how they can incorporate some sort of mercy rule, I refused to let my kids play it. But saying the winning team would forfeit for scoring again seems to be a bit extreme.

Jonathan_Vilma and FJF like this.
  16. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Of course the rule is stupid, I remember it from when I played soccer as a kid 10-15 years ago. If you don't like it, have your daughter try tennis tournaments. You won't have to worry about "everyone gets a trophy," it's Lord of the Flies out there. :)

Section 336, Jonathan_Vilma and FJF like this.
  17. FJF

Lord of the flies atmosphere is good for them. Until they chop off some pigs head