Gonna join in protest at the game tomorrow.

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Royal Tee, Sep 23, 2017.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

2. PickSix

PickSix Well-Known Member

What a blowhard. Funny how he justifies hurting people by disrespecting the flag because others hurt people by waving the confederate flag....such a childish response....no surprise....

GordonGecko likes this.
  3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Some of that I agree with, white privilege though, I have yet to experience that. Not sure if I know anyone that has. The last 12 years the economy has sucked, people lost jobs,insurance,houses and have been struggling to get by. I'm guessing most of the white people going through these things really get turned off when they hear white privilege. It's a very divisive term in my opinion

4. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

That's true, and part of the problem. You can't ask people to listen to your plight, and slap them in the face at the same time.

5. FJF

Yup, both sides.
    Curry and warriors should have been eager to go to the White House to talk to trump. Trump should have expressed hopefulness that they would come and have a meaningful convo. But ,like the rest of politics, there is no real interest talk and compromise.

typeOnegative13NY likes this.
  6. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

That's because it's socio-economic privilege that gets confused with race privilege. "White Privilege" is a bullshit term that has no basis in reality. The people who get opportunities others don't are those who have certain levels of education, who know the right people, or who frequent the right places. If anything large companies will go out of their way to hire the black guy over the white guy with equal qualifications because diversity is a stated goal of every major corp.

Discrimination and prejudice are terrible things, but at least in the North and West it's a really small minority of people who are asshole racists. The vast majority of whites give everyone a fair shot and don't go around trying to screw people that don't look like them. The race card is such an easy scapegoat and it actually is coming out more from people with "white guilt" than any other group

FJF likes this.
  7. typeOnegative13NY

I've always thought that those with extreme leftist views, and white guilt are actually a bigger enemy to those they claim to care about. Keeping people in perpetual victimhood does wonders for stopping progression

FJF likes this.
  8. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

For me exhibit #1 on this is the whole Redskins debate. Native Americans generally don't care, and a bunch of social justice warriors went around telling them they should be insulted and try to change the name

typeOnegative13NY likes this.
  9. typeOnegative13NY

Definetly. There's also a large number of disgruntled white kids in masks that see it fit to destroy property, then spray paint endorse it with "black lives matter".

10. 101GangGreen101

It is divisive, but I don't think you should get offended about it. It's not just about economics. White privilege exists, just like social privilege, citizenship. Believe it or not, there's black privilege too. People will say, "oh your doing a great job", just so I don't exhibit some sort of angry attitude (been through this before, even though I wasn't doing good at my old job). You can probably throw them in a pot together as they are all related in some fashion. People are viewed in a certain light. If you can turn a blind eye and say, "oh that's not my problem" but it affects everyone else in a serious matter that's a form of privilege. I am not going to sit here and judge your experiences however in comparison to mine.

You should never be ashamed of where you came from, at the end of the day. That's not the point, but just saying.

FJF likes this.
  11. 101GangGreen101

The leopard cannot change its spots. Trump is who he is. There is no compromise or change.

12. nyjetsmets89

nyjetsmets89 Well-Known Member

If the generals can't even get through to Trump, what makes them think black athletes are going to change the way he thinks?

13. FJF

Probably not. Not sure what his angle is, but curry could have said they were going, I want to talk to the president about these issues. Right now, it seems as there is nothing past not stand for anthem.
    Like the South Park underwear gnomes' plan
    1. Kneel for national anthem
    2. ?
    3. Social justice
    At least from this white middle aged Lower (used to be higher)middle class pov.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  14. 101GangGreen101

His angle simply is to be a blood sucking leech. Personally I doubt there would have been any progress if the Warriors went to visit the White House.

Sadly no one is profiting from this, like in South Park :(

I thought there was actual progress before Trump's comments. Awareness seminars in communities and such ... instead you have Sarah Huckabee Sanders suggesting NFL players should protest the officers on the field. Such great leadership. Too add, I personally think the NBA handles these situations far better then the NFL.

I am sure your opinion would've been valid regardless of if you were middle or high class, not going to ask what happened (none of my business), I mean my dad had a similar situation when the bubble burst

BigSnacks54 and FJF like this.
  15. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

Curry speaking with Trump is about as valuable as a Jets fan attempting to discuss Brady vs Peyton with a Patriots fan, using objective, verifiable stats. You cannot argue or reason with irrationality or incoherence, nor is it all that valuable to argue with a man who is very feeding clearly off of the hate of his base to continue to invigorate them(or perhaps to serve as a distraction as they realize that 90% of what he ran on will not come to fruition) and score "brownie" points for himself. Discourse for the sake of discourse in some cases is not all that helpful.

Protesting police brutality is a different animal compared to that of what we've seen in history. Protesting segregation in public places, such as bus stops, was much as much easier, as the play was to obviously to boycott and hurt the pockets of these businesses, how do you boycott the police? How do you hurt the business of police? I'm interested to see where this goes, but the key is to hopefully to continue to stimulate discussion.

#175 BigSnacks54, Sep 26, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  16. BigSnacks54

What's really amazing is that no NFL player currently protesting police brutality had taken a shot at Trump in quite some time. Kaepernick did when he began his protest initially, but Kap's criticism was not exclusive to Trump, as he used similar terms to bash Hillary Clinton. Trump has the mind of a toddler, he is incapable of showing any forbearance when he perceives that he is being slighted in the tiniest sense. His twitter diatribes, profanity filled speeches, and behavior in general is justan embarrassment to this country

17. typeOnegative13NY

You say feeding off the hate of his base. His base consists of much more Than idiots showing up at rallies in hopes for conflict, or jackasses waving confederate flags. There is a good number of people in this country that don't care about , or don't vote based only on identity politics. Some people believe it or not, don't give a crap about that angle of politics and vote for economic reasons. Just because it hogs up the news and social media, doesn't make it the actual most important lot of issues.

dogg likes this.
  18. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Well of thats true voting republican def wont help. They only help the millionaire crowd and unless youre one of them, they arent doing shit for you. There is no party for the middle class. We get fucked no matter what

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

19. BigSnacks54

"Build a Wall " "Muslim Registry " Law and order(which has historically been a code word used by politicians in the past(namely) Nixon who attacked civil rights movement), painting Nazi's in a positive light by attempting to say that they are statue lovers. Why do you think Trump mentioned NFL protests ,that the media had curbed its covering of, in the last week and a half, in a red, Republican state- at a rally which was NOT even intended to discuss this very topic, but to discuss his endorsement of a senator running for office? Yes, Trump pandered to the "Racial" anxieties of people in this country and that is among the many reasons why he won this election. Trump has the gall to call American citizens expressing their 1st amendments rights, sons of bitches, yet he refused to condemn Nazi's with that kind of vigor or force, instead he went as far to compare George Washington to Robert E Lee so that he could describe these hateful citizens as just your every day American. In a country full of useless politicians, Trump is by far the stupidest, most disgusting, and most embarrassing leader we have had in quite some time.

By the way, never did I say that all of Trump's consists of racists, but his base certainly consist of more racists(or he at least panders them to more), than your typical politician does.

#179 BigSnacks54, Sep 26, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I mean, once again, this was something that in principle, Trump isn't completely wrong on. It's disrespectful to the flag and the anthem to kneel and there are much better ways to go about protesting social injustice.

But ONCE AGAIN, he goes about things the wrong way. Had he went about it the right way, maybe we could have seen some proper change. Instead he had to name call and act like a high school bully about it.

The NFL or endorsers in general can put an easy stop to the kneeling if they so deem fit. Just hit the players in their wallet.

A local car dealership pulled Von Miller's endorsement today worth $200,000 I believe I read.

They could start fining players and donate all of the money to the appropriate causes.

FJF likes this.