CTE found in 99% of deceased NFL players brains

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Jul 26, 2017.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

there is a very good chance he read it and didn't understand it, there is a lot of that with your posts

2. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Yes.

3. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

They have the technology already, the Bubble Hat is here
    [​IMG]

4. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Yes, it's mismanaged. Clinical trials are another story, which are also mismanaged, and I can certainly engage you if you like. I've always been of the mind that if I'm a dead man, anyway, have at me, but it's not as simple as you may think. Yes, brain disease is the number one killer the world over, often seen as a co-morbidity, but don't let anyone fool ya. It's number one. It's not #6, it's number one.

I originally had this excruciatingly long post about CTE, Kuru, LBD, Parkinson's, early onset Alzheimer's, Cruetzfeld-Jakob disease, Fatal Familial Insomnia, etc. Anyway, all prion related. As far as CTE goes, yeah, also prion related (no kidding), because getting your brain slammed around your skull will cause tau prions to misbehave and fold all kinds of crazy in most individuals. As an aside, Dr. Francisco Lopera, a brilliant Colombian neurologist, is a goddamned hero as far as I'm concerned. And, he has worked extensively with the NIH.

The point of my other post is that there is $16 million dollars still on the table, BUT the story varies about whether the NFL won't pony up when the agreement between the NFL and the NIH expires in late August, if the NIH told the NFL to go scratch because the NFL didn't like the results, and/or that the NFL held up the remaining $16 million. Bottom line is, the NIH has a lot of brilliant people on the bottom, the ones doing research purely because they live for it, and idiots on top who fondle themselves. So, yeah, it reeks, and no offense meant.

5. jetophile

Don't baby his ass. And yah, I have a brain thing.

6. westiedog1

I don't know where all this mismanagement stuff comes from. Like all large institutions, it isn't perfect but having spent 6 months there as a patient, I can tell you that it is the one of the best medical facilities in the world with a staff that is dedicated to finding cures to the most challenging diseases plaguing humanity. Many of these researchers could make 4 or 5 times what they make in salary there working in private practice. The equipment is state of the art. The staff is kind and caring, understanding that for many of the patients which includes children, NIH is their last hope. Based on my experience there, if every American could get the medical care I received (paid for by the government, BTW) there wouldn't be such turmoil in the medical care industry. If it hadn't been for the NIH clinical trial I was involved in, I wouldn't be posting here today, so you will have a hard time convincing me it's mismanaged.

As for the 16 million, the NIH pulled out of the agreement because the NFL tried to steer the money away from one of the pioneers in CTE research whose initial findings were not favorable to the NFL.

7. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

As far as the $16M, what I read was the NFL tried to push their own researcher on the NIH so the NIH told them where to go, but it was NIH that walked away from the $16M. There is a big push to get the NFL to just donate the $16M to the fund raising arm of the NIH with it earmarked for brain injury research with no stipulations on it.

westiedog1 likes this.
  8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Of course the media is makin a big deal about the young bull Jamal Adams' comment about dying on the field yesterday but he's a kid and just a dumb jock anyway and it was hyperbole..

But Goodell chiming right in with "do you realize football players live longer than you statistically" to the reporter was just atrocious!!

9. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

yeah but it's also true

10. jetophile

11. zace

zace Well-Known Member

He was in the NFL 3 years and was injuried part of it. Not to mention he was a moron before becoming a pro. This has zero merit and is probably the worst case for any anti nfl people to get behind

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  12. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Did he have CTE from the NFL when he was still in college, murdering people?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

zace likes this.
  13. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Been hearing a lot of people saying Hernandez was a murder and whatnot because of his CTE and the NFL. This guy was a piece of shit before he even got to college and the NFL.

zace likes this.
  14. jetophile

Any "good" (heh) lawyer would sue. It's not at all surprising to me. Jose Baez is on the make and also suing the Cheats. All Belichick grunted was, "I'm not a doctor". I'll be surprised if it goes anywhere (as in a monetary award), but then again, you never know. I think the NFL's veiled stance is pretty much that it's assumed risk, but it doesn't excuse them from being disingenuous liars about the scope and the depth of it. I remember when Al Toon retired. An independent Dr. told him that if he took one more blow to the head, he was a dead man. Toon handed in his paper work and quit that day. I fail to see how the medical community drew no correlation between repeated blows to the head and brain damage/early dementia, because, well, they did. I mean, the term punch drunk has been around since probably 1890. Please rest assured I am in no way excusing Aaron Hernandez.

Look at Chris Borland. One year in the league and he got so scared about the prospect of living in a diaper without knowing what his name was that he went, mmm, nah, I'm out. He left the sport with no pension, said he will be very careful with the league minimum money he made, is pursuing a different career path, and at 24 years old, he threw in the towel. John Urschel quit the Ravens over the summer with 3 years in so he will be entitled to a pension. He's also a brilliant Math brainiac bee-lining towards a PhD so I guess it made his decision a little easier. Never did hear if Dennis Byrd's wife donated his brain for study. Very high probability that he had CTE . If Marty Lyons was absolutely convinced of it, then so am I. I hope Marty is doing well after his stroke, btw.

#54 jetophile, Sep 23, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  15. jetophile

I did mean to reply to this further and I will. We had a terrible family tragedy on our hands last year. No-one was angry or blamed anyone for lack of compassion or kindness because there was oceans of that. Look up DIPG. No, wait, don't. And I repeat, no offense meant. I'll explain more another time, perhaps via PM, perhaps not, because it might help someone. I'm glad you're doing OK. GO JETS! I think. :/

16. westiedog1

Well, the Jets are certainly in critical condition. I'm very sorry to hear of this tragedy in your family. I did look up DIPG. I can't imagine anything worse than having a child afflicted with an incurable deadly disease. How this tragedy relates to mismanagement at NIH is not clear from your response, but I can understand how disappointing it would be to go through a protocol and not get the results hoped for.

17. CTE,Protests,entitled players,an unwatchable jets team & unwatchable dynasty that openly cheats yet won't go away..

Shunning the NFL all together is becoming more & more enticing everyday.

18. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

I'm surprised nobody has organized an NFL boycott day yet (ie watching no games on a Sunday and not showing up at the Stadiums around the league)

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

It's only week 3, everyone is still alive in their fantasy leagues

20. I think that'd gain some major steam in a hurry & im sure we will see in the not so distant future