Empty the tank

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FanSinceBIGShea, Sep 25, 2017.

1. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

What you said was "Unless the Bears have the #1 pick, I don't see the Jets being able to trade up and get their guy ahead of SF, Cleveland, Buffalo."

Now that isn't adopting a wait and see possibility, that is a statement that elicited our whole conversation.

It has been 3 games into his career and you said they would pick another QB given the chance, I refuted that given his reasonable start, in another 10 games I may not but the discussion is today not in december.

2. K'OB

I don't think ColoradoContrails has that knowledge either tbh but I think you need to take the conversation in its full context before saying what you said.

CC pretty much called it a guarantee that they would take a QB given the chance, I said after 3 games why would they as they supposedly have their guy, now he may stink the joint out from here onwards and then it may be more likely that they will try again, but that wasn't the scenario under discussion.

3. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

Glad it wasn't just me then.

4. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Sorry man, didn’t read it through all the way. Anyways, the browns situation is still very undecided. They too could trade the pick for a kings ransom.

The question then becomes would and should jets consider trading up. If jets believe rosen or darnold is a future FQB and we are on the outside looking in, I wouldn’t hesitate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K'OB likes this.
  5. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

I haven't seen the "headed in the right direction" play that you have. 6 wins would accomplish what? Let's say the team is actually looking positive and wins 6 games what if Bowles and the CS get fired? Then we're starting over anyway but with a 6-12 1st rd pick

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I know what I said, but if you REALLY need to pick a fight with someone, there's plenty of people here that are willing to oblige. I'm not going to play.

7. ColoradoContrails

No, actually, I didn't say that, at all.

8. K'OB

Hmm it is called discussion, you will know when I am fighting, I swear more.

9. FanSinceBIGShea

FanSinceBIGShea Active Member

Some of you people are hilarious.

#-1 Darnold is no sure thing, neither is Rosen, and Josh Allen still possesses the highest upside of any QB in the upcoming draft in my opinion, but even he is no sure thing.

#2-This team will win at least 5 more games this season, they will continue to develop and be a fun team to watch.

#3-This is one of the best quarterback drafts in recent memory, it does not end with Darnold, Rosen or Allen. The Jets can still win 6 games this season, be somewhere in the vicinity of the #6-8 position in the draft, and still get a quality QB if they should choose to.

#4-I'm not convinced yet that their future QB is on the roster right now with Bryce Petty. I am far from being ready to concede that this kid cannot play at a high level in the NFL.

10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Others could say the bold about you. For instance, #4. While I definitely agree with you, many do not share our opinion.

I think #2 is pretty hilarious. I think we have more talent than many posters do, but I don't think Bowles can coach his way out of a wet paper bag. He could surprise me, but I'm not too worried about it.

Regarding #1, Allen may have more upside, but both Rosen and Darnold are more ready to play immediately than Allen. Allen may never be ready to play at a high level. He has looked pretty bad this year. Even if he has just gotten into some bad habits due to the lack of talent around him, it could take a while to break those habits or "unlearn" them.

#3 is the only one that's really realistic (well, except the part about the Jets winning 6 games), but any QB we get in the 6-8 range could quite possibly be a HUGE reach.

11. ColoradoContrails

No, discussion is when all parties respect each other enough to not put words in the other parties mouth.

*****************************************************************************************************************************************************
    ME: Unless the Bears have the #1 pick, I don't see the Jets being able to trade up and get their guy ahead of SF, Cleveland, Buffalo.

YOU: You really think the Browns would draft another QB that high with Kizer looking not so bad atm ?

ME: Absolutely! If they strike gold, they trade Kizer for more draft picks.

In fact, depending on how Trubisky does, the Bears might even take a QB if they have a top 3 pick.

YOU: Humour me, just why would they trade Kizer a potential FQB, the one they have been looking for for as long as us for more draft picks, to take a gamble on Darnald, (who quite frankly was shocking in the game I saw him play in, utterly shocking in fact.)

ME: There's no guarantee they take Darnold - IMO Rosen is better. But in any case, if the think a guy they can draft has more potential to be their FQB, why WOULDN'T they take him? Given the critical importance of having great QB, you keep drafting until you find one, especially if, like Cleveland, you have a lot of high picks.

YOU: I think you are missing the point that THEY already have him in KIZER and don't need to keep drafting QB's looking for a FQB, well that was the point I was trying to make tbh, now I have to ask are you suggesting Kizer is a bust in the making, are you not happy with how he is playing as a rookie or impressed ? Well as impressed as you are likely to be for another teams player but you know what I mean.

YOU: What you said was "Unless the Bears have the #1 pick, I don't see the Jets being able to trade up and get their guy ahead of SF, Cleveland,Buffalo."

Now that isn't adopting a wait and see possibility, that is a statement that elicited our whole conversation.

It has been 3 games into his career and you said they would pick another QB given the chance, I refuted that given his reasonable start, in another 10 games I may not but the discussion is today not in december.

YOU: I don't think ColoradoContrails has that knowledge either tbh but I think you need to take the conversation in its full context before saying what you said.

CC pretty much called it a guarantee that they would take a QB given the chance, I said after 3 games why would they as they supposedly have their guy, now he may stink the joint out from here onwards and then it may be more likely that they will try again, but that wasn't the scenario under discussion.
    ***************************************************************************************************************************************************
    There's our "discussion". Where did I say that Cleveland was "guaranteed" to draft another QB? Answer" NOWHERE.

To hopefully clarify for you what I initially said, there were several teams who could be ahead of us - SF, Cleveland, Buffalo - who well MIGHT take a QB. That last part was implied. Nowhere did I say they definitely WOULD take a QB, but it wouldn't be shocking if they did since none have a FQB for certain right now. In the case of Cleveland who do have Kizer, first of all, he's unproven; second of all they have high draft picks to burn so they might take the best QB available and trade Kizer, or even the guy they just took. These are POSSIBILITIES, not GUARANTEES.

I hope I've simplified it enough for you.

12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I iust had a cup of coffee and I'm going to empty the tank now

xxedge72x and grkmanga31 like this.
  13. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

@ConcordeChops I think Cleveland is much more likely to take a stud RB or WR with their 1st pick than a QB.

Also, with that being said, they've shown they like to stock pile picks recently, so it would be much more likely they trade down and the team trading up takes the QB.

I said this in the draft forum; if the Jets place themselves out of position for a top QB, they should draft Barkley and aggressively pursue Kirk Cousins. With the next 2 - 3 picks they should take the best OL available and then spend the rest of the picks between RB, LB (pass rusher) and CB.

14. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

yeah that's true too.. just was kind of expecting this youth movement they've been pushing... and was looking forward to seeing a lot of those guys out there grow together.

I love the young safety duo right now though.

15. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

If the Jets win a few more games and they probably will their only hope for a QB will be to overpay a FA like Cousins when the free agency period start next year. They probably will and whoever they get will flame out in a year or two and they will be back where they started except broke too.

16. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

I want to see the next two games before I figure out if we should put the tank on the back burner. The offense looks like it finally have a leader in Adams. The secondary is doing well now that Revis is fodder for the Chargers. If Lee follows Davis lead and improves that will give Macc some stability. It will also mean that we are finally developing some of our top picks. Honestly, I think that would mean as much as wins. If this coaching staff shows that it can produce decent players, well that is how you build a team basically. Then the Jets know they can get value from high picks.

17. grkmanga31

Darnold and Rosen are tier 1 compared to the rest. Allen has a lot of potential but his play has slipped significantly this season. As for winning 5 games, it would set this team back again and fill most with false hope that we are rebounding with a 38 year old QB, and a coach who has by and large been a disappointment.

IMO jets view Petty as a backup and there's nothing wrong with that given that he was a 4th round pick.

18. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

The Jets are notoriously stupid when it comes to QB evals. This is evidenced by the number of pro bowl QBs this team has developed since 1965. They wouldn't know a FQB from a hole in the wall. I doubt Macc would draft one anyway.

dogg and ColoradoContrails like this.
  19. grkmanga31

Can't say I disagree. I just hope Jets don't win enough games to give false hope to Chris Johnson and fanbase that we are somehow ascending.

20. K'OB

Let me simplify it some more for you...

Me "do you think they will really trade kizer"
    You "absolutely"

There is your "pretty much guarantee" right there :rolleyes:

But hey ho, who was that arsed to start with ?
    It is the browns after all, cya.