Empty the tank

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FanSinceBIGShea, Sep 25, 2017.

1. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Im happy we won and all but what the hell is our direction really?

If we win games, I need to see wins from Petty or Hack, not McCown.. What is this accomplishing for our future? We'll win 5-6 games, miss out on a QB in the draft and have no clue who our starter is again next year. Probably add some Joe Shmo QB in the 4th round and have 4 QB's, 3 unproven and a proven journeyman.

We have inactive young WRs that been making a name for themselves all summer, and we have Kerley and Kearse taking all their reps.. why? WHY??????? againm what is that accomplishing for our future?

If Bowles is coaching for his job then just let him go now... or after the next embarrassing loss im sure one is upon us. The franchise is in a clear rebuild state and Toilet Bowles is trying to win now for his sake.

The dysfunction is why we never had a franchise QB, and it doesn't look like it's ending soon

2. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Optics.

So they can't say they didn't try to give McCown the best weapons they could supply him. This also furthers the "We're not tanking" position.

McCown will ultimately wind up being McCown and we will ultimately succumb to our fate of being in the bottom 5 of the NFL.

We have zero expectations for this year. Enjoy the few wins when they come.

PS - I'm finding reverse rooting very fun. Was rooting for the Bears, Bills, Browns or Colts (didn't matter to me -- get either of them wins), Chargers, etc.

JetLifeLo and NYJetsO12 like this.
  3. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Or a Dolphins uniform, for that matter.

4. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

The only thing I've got to add is that the young receivers are 3rd and 4th round rookies. There's no need to throw them in at the deep end just because we're gutting the roster. Give them time to adjust to the league like rookies often need to and bring them in more as the season progresses. They will be around next year regardless. Peake and Anderson, plus Marshall when/if he returns need to play more than the rookies do.

FJF, JetLifeLo and CONN-JET.2.0.3. like this.
  5. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

I was expecting this team to win 5 games this year - (it may not occur - even if they won only a couple) , at least look like there is improvement and experience being shown by the rookies and 2nd year players. I still feel a losing streak will take place enough to where Bowles has to bring in the other QB's - otherwise how stupid and inane it would be to play McCown for most of the season?!?!?!

The only thing Bowles cares about is his job - wtf about the future of this franchise??? he's whistling in the dark, afaic.

JetLifeLo and ColoradoContrails like this.
  6. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Ok this is just not smart.. Wins help only one person and that's TB.,owners extend his contract

If you are rooting for him to be your Coach well that's your business

I see 7-9 and 9-7 as just wash rinse repeat with no FQB no playoffs and no future. McGown is not long term and Hack will be terrible,,,stop hoping for a miracle and get real. Petty is someplace between the two. With13 more games I foresee maybe two more wins : Browns and Fish again

Hopefully we stay in contention for top 3 draft picks

JMHO

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Can't wait to miss out on those QBs and draft a defensive tackle round 1!

dogg, Cman68 and Martin&theJETS like this.
  8. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

First of all I don't agree with tanking, nor do I believe for a second that any team in the NFL will do that intentionally, particularly through out the whole season. So IMHO that is just a pipe dream. Now, if the season is completely lost, and you are down to the last game, with the Number one pick on the line, the team might pull a few moves that might result in a loss, but that is a long shot.
    I think you unintentionally tank by virtue of having a bad team, or horrific coaching, or both, coupled with a whole lot of back luck, or good luck depending on your point of view.
    The Jets seem to have sufficient talent to win a handful of games, so barring some unprecedented bad luck they might end up being bottom 4th or 5th coming season end.
    If that is the case, it's extremely important to continue to play all the youngsters and see who is who in the zoo as we move forward to 2018.
    Because we can not, and should not bank on getting a FQB come next years draft, the fatal flow in my eyes is not playing Petty and or Hack sooner than later. Playing McCown, which BTW is doing well, does absolutely nothing for us moving forward. If we don't find out if the kids can provide the answer for the position we are going to be in dire straight come 2018. Even if we get a QB, it would be suicidal putting him at the helm without sufficient development talent around him on day one. Meantime, we might very well let go of someone that is the answer and all that he needs is a real chance to prove it.
    That in my opinion will be unforgivable.

9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

McCown has steadied the ship. Overall, for the young players on this roster, it has been the right move so far. Maybe Petty or Hack could do that, but we don't know and apparently the coaches don't think so. Seasons are long though. The Jets are going to lose several games, unfortunately. They just don't have enough talent. I am not sure what (5-11) or (6-10) gets you draft-wise, Probably a Top 10 pick. They can package that and move up if they really want a Franchise QB. There are plenty of options to succeed in the NFL. Not just going (0-16) and drafting a QB who may or may not be a good player.

LAJet likes this.
  10. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Why haven't we manage to do this already ?

You know "package" something together from a shit draft spot and go and grab ourselves a much needed FQB.

6-10 is shit and it will keep us shit for the foreseeable future, and then we will get a bright spark of hope like Fitzmagics career season, only for them to blow it by showing their true colours right at the death and then we all know what happened next.

As for McCowan, I have nothing against him, he seems an affable guy and he is playing alright but we have this season to find out whether Petty or Hack have any kind of future as our QB's nevermind if they are going to be our FQB's, we not find this out as long as Blowes keeps picking a fucking 38yo never been to give him "the best chance to win" o_O

11. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

A few "Jets-y" scenarios for the tank:

1. Two other teams tank even better than the Jets, one takes a QB, and the other trades down, allowing the Dolphins or Bills to get ahead of the Jets to get the other QB.

2. One QB decides to stay in school, so there's really on one option at the top of the draft, and the Jets have the #2 pick.

3. One QB decides to stay in school, the Jets have the #1 pick and get the other one. He suffers a career-ending injury during non-contact drills in camp.

4. Jets get their man, and he has an amazing rookie year, bringing home ROY honors, and getting the Jets into the playoffs. Then he immediately retires, citing CTE concerns.

5. Jets get their man, and he's a combination of all the worst parts of Jeff George, Jamarcus Russell, and Ryan Leaf, and he is immortalized as the greatest bust of all time--at least those teams didn't intentionally tank to get their bust QBs.

....it goes on and on. This is why I can't get hyped for the Tank, because Jets.

K'OB, KWJetsFan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Unless the Bears have the #1 pick, I don't see the Jets being able to trade up and get their guy ahead of SF, Cleveland, Buffalo.

The Dark Knight and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. K'OB

You really think the Browns would draft another QB that high with Kizer looking not so bad atm ?

14. ColoradoContrails

Absolutely! If they strike gold, they trade Kizer for more draft picks.

In fact, depending on how Trubisky does, the Bears might even take a QB if they have a top 3 pick.

15. K'OB

Humour me, just why would they trade Kizer a potential FQB, the one they have been looking for for as long as us for more draft picks, to take a gamble on Darnald, (who quite frankly was shocking in the game I saw him play in, utterly shocking in fact.)

16. ColoradoContrails

There's no guarantee they take Darnold - IMO Rosen is better. But in any case, if the think a guy they can draft has more potential to be their FQB, why WOULDN'T they take him? Given the critical importance of having great QB, you keep drafting until you find one, especially if, like Cleveland, you have a lot of high picks.

17. K'OB

I think you are missing the point that THEY already have him in KIZER and don't need to keep drafting QB's looking for a FQB, well that was the point I was trying to make tbh, now I have to ask are you suggesting Kizer is a bust in the making, are you not happy with how he is playing as a rookie or impressed ? Well as impressed as you are likely to be for another teams player but you know what I mean.

18. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Meh, I can't get excited about beating a Dolphins team that looked uninterested, unprepared, horrifically coached, with a QB who's arm strength looks markedly worse than I've ever seen it.

Did we play great, absolutely, but let's not get things twisted. We still do not have the necessary talent to win more than a few games and there's nothing wrong with that. This season was not supposed to be anything other than an evaluation year. Is it nice to see your young studs playing well, absolutely, but I'm not going to let my evaluation change after one win. If we start beating much better teams then things become different. We have a game versus the Browns and Jags left (two easiest game stretch for the rest of the year). I personally think we will go 1-1 between those two games, and by doing so we may be committing franchise suicide again as we get excited about winning meaningless football games that will further delay the acquisition of a franchise QB.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

You don't necessarily know what the Browns are thinking in terms of whether Kizer is a FQB. Look at it this way, if they play him all year and don't see improvement every game and they get the #1 pick, why would they stake the future success of the team on a rookie who hasn't proven enough?

Now, they are the Browns so this is entirely possible, but seeing as they have so much draft capital they can just say well we gave him a year, he didn't do much, let's pick Darnold or Rosen, and Kizer can be a backup. Then with the rest of the picks they can just keep on accumulating even more talent.

I'm concerned that we are losing sight of how teams go to the playoffs and how teams become perennial winners. Beating the dolphins and other mediocre teams won't save this team. We have a ways away to go to becoming legitimately talented and that starts with getting a young QB you can build around.

20. ColoradoContrails

What I'm saying is that it's not clear that Kizer is their FQB. He seems to be doing okay, but I think they're going to have to wait and see how he does over the season before they declare him the FQB. If they do, then I agree that they likely won't draft a QB in 2018.

NCJetsfan likes this.