Sam Darnold 2017 Games Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He seems to sometimes trust his arm more than he should. Like he can throw the ball through a brick wall and trusts that he can fit it into windows that aren't there.

He might have been able to sneak that ball in there with a better throw, but it definitely wasn't a good decision in general.

2. Jonathan_Vilma

I definitely like what I've seen out of Rosen more. Doing more with less.

Darnold's release doesn't worry me as much as into worries some people though. He seems to have big enough hands to control it to the point where did fumbling won't be a problem. Would like to see it be a bit quicker but Philip Rivers has survived with that crazy shotput type of chuck it out there motion.

He seems to slide well enough in the pocket to the point where he'll elude rushers to make all the throws.

3. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Rosen is my guy for now. The only thing that Darnold does better is sensing pressure, moving within the pocket and staying composed under duress. I really want to see more of that from Rosen before I'm comfortable with him at #1 because he's pretty much a clean pocket only QB right now.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

Agreed. I also like how Rosen can change his arm angle and release point and pretty much maintain his accuracy while doing so. It's impressive.

5. Big Cat

The media always sensationalizes things to draw attention. Rosen and Darnold aren't generational QBs, but they're both very well deserving of top pick consideration.

Eli Manning and Jameis Winston are the 2 comps I see, respectively, for now. They're both willing to take risks and turn the football over so it'll be interesting to see how that's evaluated.

101GangGreen101 and Red Menace like this.
  6. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Okay. Didn't fall in love with Darnold. How does his game today compare to his general performance? Did he under perform or is this it? I will DVR Rosen's game tonight and watch it tomorrow morning. I wake up at 6 AM anyway. Well, if this is regular Darnold I am not impressed.

7. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

I like Darnold, but at this juncture he's probably not even one of the top 3 QB prospects of the last 4 years.

His footwork needs a TON of cleaning, Luck was far far more polished- that's what made him polished.

Red Menace likes this.
  8. Big Cat

The way he set up his own block on that 3rd down conversion shows how instinctive he is under pressure

9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

If we can get our own version of Eli Manning I would be very happy. Eli doesn't get enough respect.

10. 101GangGreen101

A big ball of clay. That's what Darnold is. Has a lot of qualities you can't teach. Rosen doing more with less gives him more brownie points IMO. Darnold has a really good running game, he shouldn't be turning the ball over the way he's been doing so.

11. Big Cat

Haha we'll have to agree to disagree on that last sentence. I think he's been overrated and been riding the merits of those 2 Super Bowls to get people to ignore a decade worth of mediocrity.

If we can get our own version of Eli Manning that doesn't throw prayers off his back foot under pressure then I would be very happy :)

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  12. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

So far, I'm underwhelmed.. You can see why people love him but, I haven't seen anything yet that says he's light years ahead of Rosen today. Game is on ABC out here in Central PA.

13. 101GangGreen101

The current Giants team isn't built well enough to get the best out of Eli Manning. The awful offensive line took away the deep ball and Eli was pretty good in terms of that.

That 2011 season where Eli carried his team to the sb for 16 games + post season, he earned a lot of respect from me. No running game, and a meh defense.

But Rosen makes those same head scratching decisions Eli makes. Hopefully you can coach him outta that tho. If I were to draft Rosen, I am def getting him a good pass catching back that can protect.

14. Big Cat

Hopefully we can see if Elijah McGuire can turn into that. Early returns are pretty promising and he wouldn't be the first late round RB to pan out in recent years.

15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I was coming here to say the same thing. Underwhelming, while he was clutch last week it wasn't overly impressive then either.

Red Menace likes this.
  16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

That's why Darnold's the best prospect coming out.

You can teach a guy to find the right reads, you can set up an offense to hide any arm weaknesses, but you can't teach instincts in the pocket

Jonathan_Vilma and Big Cat like this.
  17. TheJetLife

TheJetLife Well-Known Member

I watched the whole USC game today. It was a bit underwhelming, but not discouraging. Like others have said, Darnold has fantastic instincts within the pocket, something that is rare and cannot be taught. He's got a good arm and made some nice throws today. He does make questionable decisions sometimes which resulted in a pick today. Could've been a couple more as well.

There were a couple instances where he made nice plays to avoid a sack but then proceeded to just miss an open receiver, including one in the end zone. The announcers said it well at the end of the game, in that we haven't gotten a full 60 minute performance from Darnold yet. When that happens, we'll see why he'll be worthy of a high first round pick. He'll continue to develop through the season.

18. Jonathan_Vilma

Eli is underrated and often scrutinized by the New York media market. It's sometimes amazing how poorly New York thinks of him to the point where they had callers on WFAN early on in the week calling for Geno to start because 'he moves better.'

I think he's then often overrated by the rest of the country. Highly regarded for the two Super Bowl runs but his team's poor record at times in years they should have been much better are ignored.

So I think you're both right. :)

Big Cat likes this.
  19. lockgang

lockgang Member

Rosen >>>>>> but he's probably not going to last the entire season so if jets have the #1 pick, they probably need to pick Darnold. He's bigger, barely got tackled in college, no injury concerns, boring/agreeable, similar accuracy, smarts, balls skills as Rosen, but better mobility.

20. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

At this point, I don't care what the scouts say about Darnold, or the media, or Mayock, he does not look like a FQB ready to be selected 1st overall.

Unfortunately some team will reach for yet another QB that will be ok at the next level.

There is no WOW factor with this guy, this could turn into another Mark Sanchez selection for the jets if they pick this guy.

He should be lighting up teams like Cal, and I like Cal and their QB Ross Bowers a lot, even though he proved how inexperienced he was yesterday as well.

Sorry guys, I don't see it with Darnold.