Will we be sellers at the trade deadline

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by grkmanga31, Sep 20, 2017.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Why would the Jets trade Petty? He's the only QB capable of starting if McCown gets injured. Why would the Jets trade ASJ? Why would any other team have any interest in him? Why would the Jets trade Carpenter? Who would play LG?

Why would any team want McCown?

Why would the Jets trade Claiborne? Who's gonna play CB if Claiborne is traded? Claiborne is young enough that he could start for us for a number of years.

Trading Petty, ASJ, Carpenter or Claiborne make zero sense. If Mac traded any of them, he should be shot, not fired.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

One used to not be able to trade compensatory picks, but they changed the rule last year. They can now be traded.

3. NCJetsfan

Why would Smith or any decent QB want to come to the Jets for one season? Why would the Jets want to get rid of Petty, who should be fairly cheap, and pay a big chunk of their cap to yet another JAG?

Enough with the mentors who can't play worth a damn! The Jets need QBs who can play.

Brook! and NYJetsO12 like this.
  4. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

pettys contract is up and he isn't our future. and he isn't good enough to mentor a rookie QB. he is still learning himself. if we do get darnold and land smith it would be great for darnold to sit a year and learn from a QB that has won in this league, plays smart and was drafted high,

5. NCJetsfan

You obviously think you have Petty figured out and are dismissive of him. I think you're dead wrong. You're basing your opinion on a very limited sample size from last year. Considering the situation last year, Petty had no chance then, and really hasn't been given a realistic shot this year due to their handling of Hack. You really don't know anything about Petty imo. You're just being a typical impatient, rush to judgment Jets fan.

Petty could be the perfect starter next year. He wouldn't take up a huge chunk of the cap, he knows the offense, has a rapport/chemistry developed with some/many of the receivers, and he has potential. He might wind up being only a backup, but the Jets haven't had a quality backup in forever. If he proves himself to be a quality starter the Jets would have insurance in case Darnold/Rosen gets hurt or doesn't develop, or the Jets could trade him to another team for at least a 2nd round pick, if not a 1st. Hack probably isn't going to be ready to be a backup next year, much less a starter, and may never develop, but it's too soon to give up on him. He would also make more sense in terms of a logical progression.

One of the mistakes the Jets made under Rex is that they tried to make the next step too quickly. They weren't patient and didn't try to develop the team in stages. That's why the team and talent level wound up sucking under Rex. We need not to repeat mistakes from the past. We don't need Smith or a bunch of older FAs or trying to win a bunch of games next year. We need to focus on building the team the right way and letting it grow and develop together.

6. wampa

wampa Well-Known Member

There are about 5 players who the Jets will be unwilling to part with - and by that I mean they'd simply ask for too much for any of them to ever get a deal done. (Leo, Adams, Maye) For everyone else, it's a matter of what people offer.

People have said Mac wouldn't be willing to move Hackenberg, I think that's dead wrong. I simply don't think any other team in the NFL would be willing to part with picks for him. I can see Mac moving Darron Lee as well - part of Lee's issues (this season) stem from playing 3-4 ILB when he's got a build that's really much more of a moneybacker, or even a 4-3 OLB. Lee's more likely to be part of a player for player trade than a pick-heavy move, though. He has youth, raw athletic ability, and solid tackling ability on his side, so the upside is absolutely there. Really a question of what a team would have to offer to get a deal done.

I'd also note Mac is likely only to be willing to move players for picks up to a point, unless he's getting real value on the offer. At this point, pick acquisition is more of a 'so we have ammo to move them to get our QB1' than for the sake of the picks themselves, I think.

#66 wampa, Sep 22, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  7. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Brian Winters is out this week.

This will be a good test for Dakota Dozier as even though it's a different position (RG/LG), it's a good measure of how comfortable they'd feeling dealing Carpenter

8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Suh is going to kill someone

FJF and Red Menace like this.
  9. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

As long as he does it NEXT week... :)

10. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Because those players potentially command value on other teams. No one is going to take our Wesley Johnsons and our Deon Simons. This thread was about the team selling at the deadline. Since we are probably going to look a lot different next year anyway, it we got the right picks for those guys I would be for it.

11. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

NCJetsfan and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  12. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Plus 1 million...I've said it before Quantity over Quality in draft # of picks is wtg

It's why Belligenius is who he is

13. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Tradeable : Lee Skrine Mo Wilk (if we are lucky) Powell Forte

McCown? ( Maybe)

ASJ? (Maybe)

Keep all young players with some upside: Petty Hack Kearse (a real gem) the young receiving corp etc

Go 1-15 ...grab a FQB and use tons of draft picks on the OL etc Say goodbye to TB

Fresh start in 2018 with solid young players..and an offensive HC if possible

JMHO

#73 NYJetsO12, Sep 22, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  14. 101GangGreen101

[​IMG]

=

[​IMG]

NCJetsfan, FJF and Red Menace like this.
  15. 101GangGreen101

Looking forward to seeing Dakota Dozier try ...

16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I wouldn't trade any players that can help us once we're rebuilt. That means Carpenter, ASJ, Petty and Kearse (as a backup QB/bridge starter) are here to stay.

Claiborne is only on a one year deal so I could see him being dealt. I could also see Forte being dealt for a late late round pick because he doesn't truly have much value.

But really I don't see us dealing anyone. Teams rarely make deadline deals in the NFL. This isn't the MLB where you unload your players with 1-2 years left on their deal.

NCJetsfan and Red Menace like this.
  17. Jonathan_Vilma

Me too. He looked decent and got some solid push last week. Let's see how he does as a starter. If he even performs OK we at least have a solid backup offensive lineman. I just don't see him as being very versatile to fill in on the outside unfortunately.

18. Jonathan_Vilma

Maybe the Vikings take a crack at Darron Lee? They're solidified at the other two linebacker spots but are currently starting a 4th round 2017 draft pick at their WILL. Gedeon's big knock on his draft profile is a lack of athleticism and pursuit speed.

Maybe the Chargers? They don't have a very impressive linebacking group.

In all honesty though I don't see any team really 'wanting' Lee. We'd have to be the team initiated the trade.

19. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

Guys, I've been thinking about a trade scenario just wondering if you think it makes any sense for us?

Ben Ijalana.

I know what you're thinking. We're already light on the OL. Can we afford to lose him? But the Cowboys are really making a push for a championship. I think they would give up at least their next 2 first round picks for him. MAAAAYBE they'd give up their 2020 first rounder too. I don't know, it's tough. Would you jump on that trade, or do you think we'd require some more adequate compensation to consider it?

20. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Dude... get help.