The Blue Print?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Patriot, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

Ok I think we all realize the Jets are in total rebuild mode of operation. So assuming we have a clear canvas to start with, how does one go about creating a future Jet Championship team? I know the term Jet Championship team does roll off the tongue in an odd way, but why not? I do have some ideas in this area, but I will keep quiet for now with the hope some of you may point out things I don't realize. So from a football sense of things, what is the blue print to follow?

I'll assume the issue of ownership is easy to complain about, so lets assume that ownership is not the issue for this discussion. Also getting a super star QB is another obvious argument, so I ask you to share some more thoughts in other football areas that may cover these areas like this.

What kind of offense and defense would you like to see? Also what about special teams? What positions need to be solidified first other than just QB? How should players and coaching staff be developed? Should the team be architecturally designed to beat the Patriots or is this to rigid of an approach? Are there any specific home field attributes of Metlife stadium that can be taken advantage of? Does it make sense for the Jets to continue sharing the same stadium with the Giants and are they getting a fair deal here? Does Jets management even share any of your ideas. Last but not least if the Jets do win the Super Bowl, how should it be celebrated?

2. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I think it's very simple. You have to build through the draft. When you continually draft under-performing players, as the Jets have done through the last couple of regimes, it doesn't mater what you're trying to do, it will fail. So it all comes down to talent evaluation. If you fail in the draft, then you resort to picking up established free agents, which leads to limited windows of competitiveness and a constant state of flux.

The Patriots will return to the pack when their quarterback crashes and burns and not before. No point in targeting them specifically as they will be Just Another Team soon enough. Remember the fundamentals of the game - strong o-line and solid QB play.

And a Jets Super Bowl win should be celebrated with naked cheerleaders prancing down Wall Sreet. And Sasha Gray should be involved in some capacity.

legler82, Jets_Grinch, FlaJet and 2 others like this.
  3. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

I love your celebration idea especially the Sasha Gray idea. I agree on the idea of having a strong o-line but how would go about achieving it? How would you go about drafting players for an offensive line?

Will-I-Am-Not likes this.
  4. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Look, finish what you're doing and then come back and join the conversation.

PennyRoyal10 and Walt White like this.
  5. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

Sasha Gray? So the Jets become Super Bowl champs and begin their reign with a health code violation in the Canyon of Heroes.

6. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

strictly on the field.....
    offense - QB, LT, and WR are for starters. draft, trade, or FA these positions have to be secured by pro bowl level talent.
    defense - NT, OLB, SS - as above.

see its really that simple. LOL.

7. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Pats never had great receivers or great running backs but they had Brady and the best offensive line in football and that's where it starts, in the trenches...

tbruner12, Vida, boozer32 and 2 others like this.
  8. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

Until we find a coach and QB, we will always be where we've always been.

boozer32, FlaJet, Vida and 2 others like this.
  9. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Franchise QB
    Offensive Line

Close Thread

boozer32 and matt robinson 17 like this.
  10. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Except we still have a GM that hos no clue to the fact that you don't win if you can'y score points. We will get the 6th pick again this year and then take another DL or DB because that is all he knows.

11. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

TO BE HONEST I dont even think he knows that----> just look at these linebackers

boozer32 likes this.
  12. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Good topic. I know it sounds strange, but a teams name, history and culture mean something. The Jets had a real brand and identity in the 60's with Namath. They were flashy. With a gunslinger playboy QB and great WR's like Maynard. They were complemented by a good defense and running game, but the passing offense was what drove the team. Points through the air. Attack downfield. Jets win through the air.

The Steelers, Packers, Giants were meat and potatoes, win in the trenches teams that relied on great defenses and running games.

The Jets have strayed from their brand and focused resources for nearly 20 years on having an elite defense. They teased for a few years but never achieved the goal. And in so doing have entirely missed the evolution of the game. The game is now very much developed towards the Jets 1960's brand identity. Vertical passing and points. This was really reinforced with league protections of QB's. The elite QB's are now able to play and shred defenses well into their late 30's and enjoy decades of play.

The Jets have had 17 years of defensive minded coaches and still believe their identity is a suffocating defense to keep games close. And while you need a great defense to win in the NFL it is apparent with the rules around QB protection, limiting hits to exposed receivers and very strict pass interference penalties that an elite offense has the edge over an elite defense. And with the concern over concussions and player injuries and the massive revenue generated from fantasy football expect the NFL to become even more skewed towards offense.

The Jets need to get rid of Bowles and bring in a offensive minded coach who understands all this and can bring a vertical offense back to the Jets.
    They need a young QB with moxie and balls and a cannon arm who is accurate and plays cool under pressure.
    They need to invest in their OL to protect that QB.
    They need offensive weapons. Guys that can generate YAC and play with speed.
    They need a pass rush.

They need to become the Jets again.

Cman68, Vida, Patriot and 3 others like this.
  13. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I'm going to post a response that is more in tune with Jets recreating an image, starting from fresh, and giving a fanbase hope for a team that hasn't gone to the playoffs in almost a decade. If I was Chris Johnson, this is what I'd do in 2018:

1) If we get a top 1-2 pick, you need to go QB - Darnold & Rosen are both great in their own ways, will be ecstatic with both of them even though I have Darnold a bit ahead of Rosen;

2) Clean house - Chris Johnson will have to ask himself if he feels comfortable giving Macc and Bowles and extension - can they get the job done. I personally would clean house of both and start over, but I get the logic of giving Macc an extension and letting him pick his own HC. I haven't seen enough from either of them to feel comfortable about the future of this team. I would go hard after John Dorsey or Eric DeCosta for GM and let them hire whoever they deem fit as HC. The HC should be offensive minded and someone who can base the offense around the strengths of the QB and not try to have the QB fit into a particular scheme.

3) with 70-80 mil in cap space, Jets absolutely need to spend money on impact players. Now, that does not mean giving contracts to aging vets who have already reached their prime. I want younger players looking for their first real pay day, who still have some room to grow. I think we should look into bolstering the o-line, EDGE, Corner, LB, WR #1, and possibly RB.

4) Given the destitute position the Jets have been in, and not being in the playoffs for almost a decade, I personally think a image/culture change is absolutely necessary. Now, I think hiring a competent GM/HC duo and picking Darnold or Rosen is the most significant way to do that but what about a logo/jersey change? Our logo and jersey are so bland....change it up, get the fanbase excited for new beginnings!

Vida, ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Keep it simple. It all starts with the QB. I don't care about the GM or coach right now. Great QB's flourish under different GM's and coaches. A great QB can mask deficiencies in other areas. Other than, Jeff Saturday, can anyone remember who blocked for Peyton Manning? or Brett Favre? Pats defense is nothing special yet they've won two of last three SB's because they have a great QB. This is not to say the Jets must draft a great QB, but how important the QB position is to the overall performance of a team. First things first, let's get that FQB and then we can worry about all the other stuff.

15. Rivers23

Rivers23 Active Member

Even if we get a decent QB, he has no one to throw the ball to. The Giants are a good example of this. Draft prospective young guys, get a few veterans who provide stability. Look at the Warriors and Oklahoma in the NBA and how quickly they achieved success with mediocre draft picks. Basing a team on free agents who bounced around so much that they know the best place to eat in every major city in the country will get us nothing.

Firstly, stop starting McCown, losing 49-14 is not much different than 47-7, give those young guys a shot at a season. This is just some general stuff, I'm not really qualified to be any more specific. Oh, and Pats have 2 more years at the most, and besides, I would bet there are a few teams that can beat them this year. We wouldn't even be talking about them if the Falcons didn't give them the win last season.

16. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

There is an important point of offensive system consistency here. The Jets change Head Coaches what, every 5 years these days? They change OCs every 2-3 years. How do you develop any QB in that environment?

Look at the best QBs of recent times:

Brady, Manning, Favre, Brees, Roethlisberger, Rogers. How many systems did those guys have to learn over their careers? For Brady and Manning it was 1, with tweaks and modifications. Ben had a big change from Ariens to Haley, so 2. I don't know if Favre learned anything in Atlanta, but once he got to Green Bay, it was 1, and that's what he stuck with for the rest of his life. Rogers, though I haven't followed closely, appears to me to still be on 1. I'm not sure about Brees--2, maybe 3?

In contrast, the Jets tried to cram 3+ into each of Sanchez and Geno, Fitz is on maybe #11 or #15 for his career, McCown isn't far behind that.

Walt White likes this.
  17. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

That's because the great ones bring their own system wherever they go and whoever comes to coach them. When Favre came here, do you think that he had to learn Schottenheimer's system? No, it was the other way around. Jets adapted their system to accommodate Favre. When Manning went to Denver, it was the same system he used in Indy. When you have greatness, you don't adapt to anyone, they adapt to you.

hwismer and NY Jets68 like this.
  18. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I think that's more than a little bit of a chicken/egg discussion. The great ones learned ONE system and MASTERED it, then every offense they played in was centered around that QB and their mastery of that system. The problem is that, no matter how talented a player is, if they are asked to try and master 3-4 systems, they'll never be as good as they could have been if they had been solely focused on the same one from the start.

If Manning had been asked to change offenses completely whenever the Colts/Broncos changed OCs or HCs over his career, he wouldn't have been so great.

Your point is correct, but it has to start somewhere, you don't just draft greatness at the QB position and then it's great no matter what.

westiedog1 and Patriot like this.
  19. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Yes and no. Andrew Luck has sustained serious injuries and although he lifted the colts up and won games for them, he finds himself still unable to play, and this is all because his GM thought having a good o-line was unnecessary. We need a great GM that knows what QB to pick, and how to supply that QB with talent. It all starts from the top

20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If I were running the team, the first move I'd make before the season is over is I would look to hire an experienced football man to be Team President. At this point, I have no idea who that might be. Perhaps Peyton Manning if he has interest. I'd determine his thoughts vis-a-vis Bowles, the CS, the systems we run, Mac, and our culture/identity. I'd make it clear that I expected a culture/philosophical change from trying to win with D, to winning with offense. I'd make it clear that I wanted him to hire coaches who design systems that fit the talent we have on hand and not some rigid system that tries to fit square pegs into round holes. I'd give him the final determination on Mac and Bowles, but I would expect (but not tell him that I expected it) that the moment the season ends, Bowles, Rodgers, the STs and DL coach would be fired. Maybe Mac too.

If he fired Bowles and most of his staff, I would tell him that I wanted him to counsel his new GM that I wanted a HC who holds players accountable and who will have the team playing tough, smart, disciplined football. I would tell him that I wanted an experienced HC who had been a WR or QB coach then OC and who was good in developing/handling young QBs. I'd want the best QB coach we could find who was gifted in developing QBs. I'd want position coaches who were good teachers and developers. I would be firm in telling him that his GM would NOT be allowed to hire a former DC or defensive coach. I would hope that Morton and perhaps some of the other position coaches would be retained until the President has hired the new GM, and he in turn has hired the HC, then let the HC make the determination on those position coaches. Normally, keeping some sort of stability in terms of systems is important so that the roster doesn't have to be completely turned over due to change of offensive or defensive systems. In our situation, however, I think change may be in order. That would be up to the President, GM, and HC to decide however, and the offensive system should be based on the QB we draft and maximizing his strengths.

In terms of the GM, it would be up to the President whether or not to retain Mac or look elsewhere. If he opted to fire Mac, then John Dorsey would be my first choice, and would hope that it would be the President's. If it was Dorsey, then I would want him to get some guidance with management and communication, and a separate cap guru be hired to handle the cap and contract negotiations. I'd want Dorsey to focus solely on scouting and personnel. If not, I would hope that he would look to the Packers, Steelers, Seahawks, Ravens, Falcons or other teams who had done a great job in the draft over the last 5-10 years or so. If he kept Mac, I would expect that he would work with him, advise him, and possibly hire additional staff to help him develop and succeed.

I would expect that the offense would be significantly addressed (if not fixed) in both FA and the draft, even if it meant using all 8 picks and a future pick or two on offense. At a minimum, I would expect a QB be taken #1 in the draft, a #1 WR added either via the draft or FA, a RB drafted or added in FA (but preferably drafted), a better center be added via FA or the draft, and hopefully our new LT added via the draft. I would expect that our LB corps and pass rush be upgraded via FA. Ideally, our draft would go something like this:

1 - FQB
    2 - LT, RT, #1 WR or pass rusher
    3 - RB, #1 WR, RT, or pass rusher

In terms of what type of offense and defense I envisioned, I don't care so much about particular systems, but in general, I think less complex systems are best. I think it's hard to find enough good players for the most complex systems. A lot of football players aren't that smart. The simpler, the better. The quicker the players learn and can get up to a high standard of play. I'd want whatever we use to fit most, if not all of the talent that we already have on hand, and that finds ways to put players in positions to succeed. I'd want creativity. I'd want a very high standard of execution. I'd want an offense that can score from anywhere on the field either via run or pass, and a stout D that can shut down opponents in the red zone. I'd want an attitude on my D where even 2nd and 3rd stringers take pride and don't want to let the other team ever score. I'd want playmakers on both sides of the ball and opportunistic units that took advantage of their opportunities.

The major emphasis on D would be in the pass rush and in the LB corps. Since the Pats will likely be returning to earth within a year or two, I wouldn't concern myself with them when putting my team together. I would want an aggressive, attacking D rather than a passive read and react. I think the former is more fun.

STs better be able to cover punts and KOs, and they'd darn well better be able to block on returns and have a returner that gives opposing STs Coordinators nightmares.

IMO there are no advantages to the Meadowlands. If I owned the team, I would get out of the deal with the Giants at the first opportunity and build the Jets their own home. That, as much as anything else, I think has affected the team's identity, culture and sense of pride. It's absurd that they never have had their own home and have always been 2nd class citizens and tenants in other team's buildings.

I would hope that as part of our SB-winning celebration, I could announce plans for our new stadium. For certain, I'd have several mockups of Gillette Stadium built and let players either burn it down or smash it with sledge hammers until it was rubble.

#20 NCJetsfan, Sep 21, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    Patriot, boozer32, NYJFOREVER and 2 others like this.