Will we be sellers at the trade deadline

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by grkmanga31, Sep 20, 2017.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If Mac's still here, I don't see any way that Hack will be released. McCown won't be back. So if the Jets draft two QBs, bring back Petty and keep Hack, there would be 4 QBs.

I'd be ecstatic if they could get anything for Forté. I don't think they have too much else that anyone would have interest in and imo, they need to keep the few good players they have that are younger.

#41 NCJetsfan, Sep 20, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    CONN-JET.2.0.3. likes this.
  2. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

right. i was thinking they could trade some of the older guys to teams fighting for the playoffs, even (if) late round selections are ok for guys that won't be back anyways next year.

like mlb where you try to get prospects to restock the depth/cupboard. in the nfl, just means more draft picks.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I would be getting every single draft pick I could at this point. Then again at some point you have to make those draft picks count...

The Pats do it every year and strike gold with that strategy because they hedge their bet by getting more draft picks knowing that the draft is a crap shoot.

Their entire offensive line is home grown with only one first round pick.

I posted this in another thread. It's how they routinely replenish their talent year in and year out.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. thankyourevis

thankyourevis Active Member

What on earth would we sell? Every player we have worth anything is on there rookie contract and we need them. I dont think the matt forte, josh m, b powell market will ever heat up.

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I think a team would absolutely be interested in Powell. He made this offense come alive on that winning streak in 2015 and then missed that last game and the offense fell flat. I think it may behoove us to keep him another season to be the 3rd down back for our young quarterback. He really makes people miss in the open field with his quick cuts.

NYJetsO12 and grkmanga31 like this.
  6. CONN-JET.2.0.3.

CONN-JET.2.0.3. Active Member

We gotta hold on to some people . You really wanna go through another tank season next year ? They will be spending money on a new coach and will be blowing all the saved money on FA next year for sure . Gotta leave some infrastructure there .

But get anything you can for Forte tho .

7. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

I thought you couldn't trade compensatory picks!

8. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Same here. I think perhaps Ravens compensatory picks have them more inclined to trade the picks they actually own. Regardless, I wouldn't trade Carpenter unless they were giving up a second round pick.

I think there are plenty of players that could net the Jets later round picks, anywhere from 5-7 rounders, but in terms of higher picks there's maybe 2-3 players.

9. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Ha! If you can get somebody to trade you some stale Cracker Jacks for Winters, jump on that! I can't imagine anybody being willing to take on that contract for a D+ level RG.

10. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

that rule changed last year

the patriots traded jamie collins to the browns for their comp pick acquired via alex mack's departure

NY Jets68 and Royal Tee like this.
  11. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

BTW The Giants need all types of help on the offensive line I would not wait for them to call me I would call them,,,,,maybe they are desperate enough

12. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

If they can bring back McCown on a cap friendly $1-2mm Mark Brunell type contract to help mentor their 1st round QB pick, I'd sign up for it. Part of getting a young QB ready is the opportunity to discuss things at length with a guy that's been in the league for a while. I'd much rather this pick talk with McCown than either Petty or Hack. If you look at mentor types that aren't starters the list is small... McCown, Derek Anderson, Kellen Clemens, Shitzpatrick, Matt Moore, Matt Schaub, Drew Stanton.

13. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

IMHO U R totally deluded yourself since name 1"older" player that U think is tradeable? :mad:

14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

They don't need McCown back. He's mentoring Petty and Hack this year. I sincerely doubt there's anything more he will be able to teach them. Petty should be back. Hack is going nowhere unless Mac is fired. If they draft a QB, that will be their 3 QBs. Petty should start unless the rookie clearly demonstrates that he's ready to play day one. With a competent QB Coach and OC, a veteran mentor isn't all that important. The problem with the Jets is that until maybe this year, they haven't had a competent OC or QB Coach in forever.

If they want to bring McCown back as an assistant QB coach, fine. If Blowes is still here, he'd start McCown. If not, more than likely the new HC wouldn't want McCown.

15. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

we'll totally be able to move Ben Iljana and his 11m contract, what a great signing

16. twown

twown Well-Known Member

You honestly think the goal line helicopter can be properly learned in one season?? smh

17. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I think personally we let petty walk, keep hack obviously and draft a QB high (hopefully) that leaves 1 spot open and i could see us bringing in another vet to mentor the rookie and/or start for us. it could be McCown againor possibly alex smith who won't be back with KC. if i was smith though i'd avoid the jets and take a comfy job in denver surrounded by talent like sanders, anderson, thomas, a good o-line and a top 5 defense

18. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Agreed. By trading deadline I think it’s way too late to expect somebody to plug into another teams system and contribute.

I think Punt/kickoff returner, punter , FG kicker are the only safe positions a playoff team can trade and Expect the immediate upgrade

Endlessly Counting likes this.
  19. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Possible "Sales" I could see:

Offense: McCown, Petty, Kearse, Carpenter, ASJ, Forte

Defense: Mo (probably need to eat some of his cap), Skrine (but hes been awful as of late) Mo Claiborne (sell while he's not injured).

Other players are either "untouchable" (Williams, Adams, Maye) or are just too crappy to get anything better than a possible 7th for.

20. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I think they're in sell mode now. For the right price, I think 95% of the team is available.

But trades aren't super frequent in football, so I'm not expecting much.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk