The purged players seems like it was a great move

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Sep 20, 2017.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Well everyone was upset about us "dumping talent" to save cap room that talent hasn't done much.

BRANDON MARSHALL, receiver

Marshall is in a different category, as he asked for his release. Reports just after the Jets cut him suggested Maccagnan offered a contract extension. Marshall saw the direction the Jets were headed, though, and wanted to play for a winner. He signed a two-year deal with the Giants in the offseason.

Things haven't gone well for Marshall across town. He has two catches for 27 yards in two games. The Giants are 0-2.

Guess he still won't be sniffing a playoff in his career. wonder how long until he implodes

RYAN CLADY, left tackle
    The Jets traded for Ryan Clady last offseason when D'Brickashaw Ferguson retired. Clady didn't make much of an impact, and ended the season on the injured reserve. The Jets declined his contract option, rendering him a free agent. He announced his retirement in early August.

NICK MANGOLD, center
    The Jets released Mangold early in the offseason. He had a visit with the Ravens, but never signed a deal. It's unclear how healthy his ankle/leg is, which ended his 2016 season early.

ERIC DECKER, receiver
    Decker actually spent a portion of this offseason with the Jets. Maccagnan (surprisingly) cut him in June. Decker quickly found work, though, when he signed with his home-town Tennessee Titans. But he hasn't made much of an impact.

In two games, Decker has six catches for 42 yards and no touchdowns.

in comparison kearse who we traded for has 11 for 132 and 2 TDs. projected over a full season 88 catches 1056 yards 16TDs. i doubt he gets over 8 TDs but the catches and yards seems doable for sure.

RYAN FITZPATRICK, quarterback
    The Jets declined Fitzpatrick's contract option, which was always going to happen the way his deal was structured. He ended up signing a deal with the Buccaneers to backup Jameis Winston. He threw one pass -- an incompletion -- in last week's win over the Bears.

Fitzpatrick did get some quality face time on Hard Knocks this summer, though.

SHELDON RICHARDSON, defensive end
    Richardson was the latest Jet shown the door. Maccagnan traded him to the Seahawks for receiver Jermaine Kearse on cutdown day. In two games, Richardson has six tackles and no sacks. He has a PFF grade of 71.7 -- 72nd among qualifying defensive ends.

Kearse, meanwhile, is the Jets' No. 1 wideout. He has 11 catches for 123 yards and two touchdowns already.

DAVID HARRIS, linebacker
    Harris, like Decker, received his walking papers in June. He then made his way north and signed with the Patriots. Harris is a backup for New England, and rarely sees the field. He has just three total snaps this season and one tackle.

DARRELLE REVIS, cornerback
    Revis was among the more disappointing Jets last year. He seemed completely checked out at times, and struggled more than he had at any other point in his career.

He's still unsigned, and isn't believed to have even taken a free-agent visit.

CALVIN PRYOR, safety
    The Jets traded Calvin Pryor to the Browns for linebacker Demario Davis during the offseason program. The safety didn't last long. Cleveland cut Pryor on Sept. 7 after he was involved in a practice fight.

The Jaguars claimed him off the waiver wire, but then placed him on the injured reserve last week.

MARCUS GILCHRIST, safety
    Gilchrist is likely the most successful of the ex-Jets, which most fans won't care about thanks to the early success of rookies Marcus Maye and Jamal Adams.

Now with the Texans, Gilchrist has four tackles and a pass breakup in two games. Not bad for a guy coming off a horrid knee injury (torn patellar tendon). He has a PFF grade of 76.3, good for 29th among safeties.

NICK FOLK, kicker
    Folk, like Fitzpatrick, signed with the Bucs this offseason. He, also like Fitzpatrick, got some nice face time on Hard Knocks after he beat out second-year bust Roberto Aguayo in a training camp battle.

He made all three of his field goals in the Bucs' Week 2 win over the Bears.

BRENO GIACOMINI, right tackle
    Giacomini had back surgery this offseason, which played a part in the Jets cutting him. He eventually signed with the Texans, and is currently starting on their struggling offensive line. He has a PFF grade of 29.8 in two games, which ranks 70th of 72 offensive tackles.

NYJetsO12, Big Cat, Mogriffjr and 5 others like this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

No one is arguing that Macc was wrong for getting rid of these guys. The problem is what did he replace them with? He hasn't done a very good job at that. There's an old saying, I think by Will Rogers: 'Anyone can see a problem...it takes some real eyesight to see the solution". I don't think Macc has real eyesight.

NYJ79, Brook!, NYJFOREVER and 5 others like this.
  3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Gotta luv country wisdom right...:)

slimjasi, Brook!, NYJFOREVER and 2 others like this.
  4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Marshall
    Revis
    Gilchrist
    Harris
    Were all contracts mac handed out 2 years ago and in marshalls case traded a draft pick for.
    He got 1 good year out of revis and Marshall. Ok years from gilly and Harris and now we are suppose to put his poster on our bedroom walls because he cut them?

5. GasedAndConfused

wow tough crowd the hate for mac is real. The point wasn't about mac, the point was everyone complained about not replacing these guys, but they really didn't need replacement. Also landing kearse was a great deal and an extra pick

6. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

This is what happens when you draft poorly and the only option to compete is signing or trading for veterans who are past their prime..you get one good year and the next is a disaster..the solution is not signing more quick fix veterans it's drafting better...or else it's just the same cycle repeated.

NYJetsO12, AJW, slimjasi and 4 others like this.
  7. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Good to admit your mistakes...bad that we chose them to begin with

ajax and ColoradoContrails like this.
  8. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

I caught a few minutes of the Giants game and Marshall made it worth it. Manning threw a perfect pass to Marshall streaking down the sideline having beat his man by a step and a half. I got a good chuckle when the pass bounced off his stone hands incomplete.

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I still would have kept Nick Mangold. At the very least he could've been a player coach type of guy if he didn't end up being healthy enough to play.

Outside of that, Maccagnan could've signed say DeMarco Murray, Brian Orakpo, and Joe Barksdale and we would still be getting good quality production out of all of them. Could've kept the Carpenter signing as well.

THe three of them have a combined cap hit this season for $20.9 million. Revis had a cap hit of around $17 million in 2016 if I remember correctly.

Instead we signed 4 defensive backs (3 corners) and a guard and only one of the defensive backs are still on the roster and he sucks. And Carpenter is solid albeit not great as the #18 ranked guard. He was also heralded for his pass blocking, not his run blocking, something that is not needed as much out of NFL guards.

10. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

Ahh, the hindsight committee comes out when someone merely tries to play a little devils advocate and post some positive stuff.

I don't remember people complaining about Marshall in 2015, or how it was a bad trade. QB play as always didn't pan out, so we couldn't make a playoff push. However, Marshall was an integral part of why we were even in that position. So it's hard to argue it was a bad move, had Fitz stayed hot who knows what could've been. But the he turned back into a pumpkin at midnight.

FUN FACT: Through the first 2 weeks of the 2017 season newly acquired Jets WR Jermaine Kearse has more receiving yards, receptions, touchdowns, and first downs.

Than Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker... COMBINED!
    And his season long reception is more than both of theirs... also combined...

#10 DarrelleRevis.Human?, Sep 20, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  11. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Sheldon Richardson <--> Kony Ealy

Decker, Marshall <--> Jermaine Kearse

And he netted extra 2nd round in the coming draft.

That's not a step in the right direction? If you think [this is not enough], then why don't you specify [what more he should have done] to be [sufficient] in your metric?

Seriously, win-win trade is a rarity. If there is a trade, usually it's one side fleecing the other. Tell me. Which team should the Jets try to fleece? Or attempt win-win? Or was there any alternative in free agency that he should have looked at?

12. GasedAndConfused

any good team uses all avenues. the best teams use trades, draft, and free agents to build a team. you really need to do all 3 right. I think it's a bit early to say mac has drafted bad (if that's what you intended or not)

hits
    williams
    simon
    harrison

misses
    smith

jury still out
    petty
    moulden

as far as 2016 and 2017 it's all jury still out. FWIW adams looks like a future stud. maye looks good too. peake isn't a bad find late in the draft. anderson was a great UDFA find, burris looks to be a solid pick as does jenkins, maguire, and shell

NYJetsO12 and Jetphan73 like this.
  13. GasedAndConfused

LMAO that was hilarious he finally got open and manning finally laid a perfect one in there and he derped hard

very good point on ealy we haven't missed richardson at all yet and kearse has been a godsend in what is a position of huge weakness right now plus the extra pick AND cap savings. now for next year we have a ton of room, extra picks and a great QB class. it's easy to see we are in a good position for the future as long as we play our cards right

14. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

I just think it's funny how the media wants a "whipping boy" so badly they spin all these narratives about how the Jets are so doomed now and for the future. While the whole time making it seem like the team hasn't had any recent success what so ever.

I'm not an apologist by any means, but I am tired of people piling on just because that's what people do. Which wouldn't bother me nearly as bad if it wasn't all driven by the media echo chamber.
    We're only two games in it's hard to draw any straight lines yet but some of the positives (and negatives) are making themselves know. I'll point out a few of the replacement guys.

- O-line looked poor in week 1, the following week it looked like a different group of guys. There were times McCown had so much protection I found myself on the couch just stunned. Shell has looked really good both weeks, Carp looks like he should, Beachum looked like a different guy in week 2, and while Winters and Johnson didn't really stand out that's a good thing in it's self.

- Jermaine Kearse, see post #10

- Adams and Maye, are these guys seriously rookies??? They have done nothing but look like they belong in the NFL for 2 weeks straight. A miscue here or there but nothing egregious, and they have had their hands FULL cleaning up all the gator arm flailing from the LB core.

- Morris Claiborne, just held Amari Cooper in check: 4 rec, for 33 yds, 0 TD. I think he is still adjusting, week 1 was tough for him but he as well really cleaned it up this past week.

- Chandler Catanzaro, I would rather watch tape to tell me if a player is good but with kickers numbers usually don't lie. This is a move I didn't agree with either, as I liked Ross Martin and thought he deserved the spot but through 2 games Catanzaro has been money. 4/4 in attempts with all 4 being over 40 yds, his two longest 46 and 52. He has also been booming kickoffs which is something I've not seen a Jet do in a looooooooong time.

As an honorable mention only because I know he isn't a long term part of this team but I think we should all give a golf clap to Josh McCown for looking like a pro and not letting things get to him. He has been the heart beat of the offense and was a large part of the driving force that had us in a competitive match up for the first half of the game.

#14 DarrelleRevis.Human?, Sep 20, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  15. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I agree with Mac's decision to cut all those players and not replace them. We weren't going to win more than 6 games anyway, so might as well tank for a top QB in a very good class. The problem I have with Mac is that this is the third year of his tenure, and we're in this mess because he's been a disaster drafting players. It's easy to tank, you just have to cut everyone. The hard part is picking the right QB and building the team back up. And after what I've seen out of Mac, I don't trust him to do it.

16. Jonathan_Vilma

- Harrison isn't on the team anymore
    - Mauldin has 5.5 career sacks and is done for the season. He stings because Danielle Hunter went a couple picks later and is a bonafide pass rusher in the league already.
    - Deon Simon is on the practice squad.
    - Peake is on the border or being cut but he's a seventh round pick that still has upside.

It isn't all bad as you outlined. We have to see more out of McGuire before we annoint him as solid though dude lol. Jenkins looks like he can be a solid player in this league but I don't see anything spectacular out of him. Think Bryan Thomas under Mangini or better case scenario Calvin Pace's replacement.

I'm starting to worry about Leonard Williams too. He definitely has the skills to be a stud in this league. He is afferall a part of that run defense that got gashed the first two games of the season. He also only had 1 total sack the last 9 games (0.5 sacks in week 13 & 14).

He's being used incorrectly. But still. A stud is a stud regardless of where they line up...

Chrisiue and grkmanga31 like this.
  17. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Teams got smart and now double/triple team Big Cat because they know no one else on the d line can create pressure.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  18. Jonathan_Vilma

But that's just the norm for a 3-4 defensive ends. JJ Watt, Cameron Jordan, Calais Campbell, Cameron Heyward, Jurrell Casey, Mike Daniels etc. are all 3-4 defensive ends that face double teams every play.

Mike Daniels absolutely dominated the LOS against the Seahawks in week one. JJ Watt always dominates the LOS.

That's why I'm starting to think he isn't the best fit for this defense and would be a world beating 3technique in the 4-3.

So now two of your last three first round picks do not fit the defense whatsoever. That's why it's time for a scheme change. I don't get it because in 2015 we played in the 4-3 the whole game against the Redskins.

The defense gelled in that scheme. Then we got away from it and gave up 30+ points in successive weeks. It's obviously an option in the playbook because Bowles changed it in that gameplan. Why can't he do it again?

19. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Bowles hasn't used the personnel at his disposal properly. Will he ride or die with his scheme? because right now things aren't working.

20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Come on now, Home. You know that is not even remotely accurate. You make it sound like we had a very good roster and Mac has screwed it up because he drafted horribly. You're usually much more balanced and fair than that. He has not been a disaster drafting players. He has made some mistakes, but all GMs do. The 2017 draft looks like it is a very good one.

Due to Tanny's constant trade ups, there was little or no depth on the team, and there were big holes at OLB, CB, S, QB, RB, WR, TE, RT, LG, and he had a rapidly aging LT & C. Idizik totally screwed the pooch and hardly added anyone to the team in two offseasons. This team was a hot mess when Mac took over. There were holes all over the roster, little speed, almost no depth, and it's best players were all older and almost done.

Mac has added some very talented players to the team, dramatically increased team speed, and improved competition across the roster. It appears that he has learned and improved, but there are still questions. It is fair to have some concerns and doubt, but he is not the clusterfuck that you make him sound like. That was Idzik, and to a lesser extent Tanny.

#20 NCJetsfan, Sep 20, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2017