Potential General Manager candidate thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Decosta just has to tell the Ravens he is considering an interview with another team and he gets a raise. That guy better be the second coming of Ron Wolff with the money the Ravens have given him just to keep him as the successor to Newsome.

#21 Red Menace, Sep 19, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    grkmanga31 likes this.
  2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

If mac got the ok to lose every game he is a bonafide hustler. Being this bad 3 years into his tenure is inexcusable.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  3. Beki

Beki Active Member

Yes, it is true that Woody approved the rebuild, but the roster must show the signs of any development. At the moment, how many untouchable players do we have on our roster? In my opinion, Leo and Adams. Macc's first draft is complete sh*t after 1st round. His 2nd is not looking good too, especially that reach for Hackenberg. Insiders told us that Macc is a great talent evaluator...well...hmm.

Other thing is that someone has to coach that youngsters and Bowles is not capable of that. To summarize, it will be a complex decision of the season who we should fire and there are a lot of matches back from the season, but we are going/tanking for our potential franchise QB, that is another factor.

4. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I'd strongly consider Larry Siefert, recently fired by Dolphins. At least he recognizes the league is a passing league now and tried to hire a HC to reflect that. Can't be any worse than what we've had.

Dsmiles13 likes this.
  5. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Not sure if realistic but whatever happened to Assistant GM of Ravens Eric DeCosta. Ozzie Newsome isn't getting fired as GM any time soon...is he going to stay as an assistant forever? John Dorsey/Eric DeCosta are my top two candidates. Have to secure the #1 pick, and the rest will take care of itself assuming Jets open up the check book and allow whoever it is to run the HC search.

This is all assuming Macc is gone

ColoradoContrails and CBG like this.
  6. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

Give Petyon Manning a blank check...

7. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

As Head of Football Ops?

Cman68 likes this.
  8. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Yeah I will take egotistical genius over arrogant loser. The back to back safeties was a head scratcher and just too much of a luxury the Jets didn't have.

9. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I disagree wiith all of this. Macc has been a diasster and I was a Macc fan for awhile. Thought the Jets needed a GM with a scouting background. Lee, Hackenberg picks are BUST along with Smith. So he's equally bad offensively and defensively. His best attribute has been in UDFA. But you really can't compliment him on that. All it is picking up the phone and signing some guy that wasn't drafted.

10. wampa

wampa Well-Known Member

Lee still has the traits to be a good player. Getting destroyed by an all-Pro center on 2 plays against a top-3 OL in football early in his sophmore season doesn't change that. I do think he's not a great scheme fit for a classic 3-4; but that doesn't mean he's a bad player. Prototypical moneybacker, or a 3-4 OLB perhaps. The massive dropoff in CB play surprised people, which led to us needing to try and force him into a classic 3-4 role. Honestly, I'm with most people into thinking that he's not going end up being the answer there, but I'm not ruling him out - let's see how he plays down the stretch. I think he'll most likely end up being a solid answer at backer who's a good answer to speedier backs but isn't as great in handling power-run games.

The Hack pick is the big ****up every GM gets to make once. I actually do think this was a strait up Mac mistake - probably got sold a bill of goods by Bill O'Brien on that one. That said, I also think Hack was a guy who could have landed up somewhere else and maybe actually gotten fixed. Hell, if we'd drafted him in the 5th no-one would give a damn. Burris is another player from that draft that isn't spectacular but is 'good enough to get the job done' in the meantime and has continued to develop. Keep in mind that most players don't really hit their stride in the NFL until year 2-3. The guys who go out and dominate as rookies are the exception, not the rule.

I honestly don't get why there's this massive hate over our back to back safety draft last year. We've got two (so far pretty good) starters in a secondary that allowed big plays, missed tackles, and YAC way too much last year. Both of the safeties we drafted are physical enough to play run support and fast and talented enough to do good work in coverage. Allowing big gashing passing plays last year was one of our biggest faults on that side of the ball, and we addressed that need through the draft. Maye was a round-1 talent on any draft class that wasn't quite as loaded as last years, and I'm guessing we had him over any of the remaining CB prospects on our big board. (And yes, DB was pretty much where we needed to go with that 2nd rounder, given our combination of team needs and the strength of the DB class.) Ar'Darius Stewart has also looked promising over the first several weeks and could be developing into a solid at least slot receiver of the future. Still, let's wait for the 2017 season to actually finish and see how the rookies have looked before we start pre-emptively judging this draft class.

Let's also not forget that Mac has been extremely savvy in other, non-draft aspects of GMing. Ever since he's gotten the mandate for the full rebuild, there haven't been many moves I've been able to question him on that didn't reek of GM interference, and he's shown he's willing to fix his mistakes when he does make them. He didn't want to give Fitz a big contract again and was obviously justified in doing so, even if he did end up picking him up again because he didn't think our younger QBs were ready. Dropped Revis when he didn't earn his money. The ASJ pickup, Kearse + a 2nd rounder for Richardson... He's made some good moves outside the draft as well. To me the final thing here will be IF some of his draft picks don't pan out, how willing he is to be mercenary with them and cut bait.

#30 wampa, Sep 24, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  11. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

12. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

I saw let finish the year out. Then let's make our decisions. We seem to be actually developing players for once. Still if Hack and Petty don't make any progress I don't want him picking a third QB.

13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

This free agency will make or break him. We'll see his willingness to rebuild the offense some and offensive line in particular. It will be important to see if he signs players that can contribute past a year or two.

I may have been quick on the trigger with this thread. But I'm not going to overreact because we played well today. Let's see how the rookies finish out their development.

Don't forget Devin Smith as a garbage selection either. :mad:

ColoradoContrails and wampa like this.
  14. wampa

wampa Well-Known Member

Next year's draft + FA in conjunction, but yes. This offseason is make or break, and it has to center around getting building blocks on offense. I don't mind bringing in some help on defense, but the fact is, we have clear, long-term franchise cornerstone guys on defensive side of the ball, and no-one I can really say the same about on offense. (My franchise cornerstone eyeball test: would you trade them for a 'first round complementary pick'? If yes, not a cornerstone.) I've been wanting us to add OL talent for several drafts, but I think this year we may end up moving picks to trade up to get our FQB if we don't land up with #1 overall, kicking the can down the road further in that sense. That's just realism of what happens if we don't end up with the #1 pick, not an indictment. FQB is the essential building block. I really do hope it's not necessary and we could get our QB and at least one young stud OL player, but it wouldn't surprise me if our draft position didn't let that happen.

Taking a quick look at impending FA's on the offensive side of the ball: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/

There aren't a lot of quality offensive lineman hitting FA that are both young and solid that I see who present remarkable 'trade ups' from our current OL. RB market looks bleak. I think a much more likely position for us to target for an offensive boost in FA is WR. We'll probably tender Enunwa coming off injury if his prognosis for recovery is good, try and get a team-friendly extension on ASJ, and add in another WR in FA - sort to the wideouts, and even though a bunch of those guys are likely to get extended, overall, it's a good year to be in the receiver market, so I think that's the direction we'll go to add some offensive potency in FA.

RE: Devin Smith, he got crippled by injuries. I didn't love the pick at the time, but I can't remember if there was anyone else I was really pounding the pavement for in the second off the top of my head. He didn't go into the draft with a big injury history as far as I remember. I could be wrong, and please correct me if I am. But I'm going to be lenient on a low-injury history guy in College getting crippled by them in the pros, as well. That really sucks, but it's hard for me to blame the GM for.

#34 wampa, Sep 24, 2017
  15. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

nah.. another high profile mentor.

16. Jonathan_Vilma

Here are the free agents we could look at for next season on the offensive side of the ball.

Some of the offensive lineman are on again off again starters so I'm not sure outside of the big names who we would want.

Nate Solder would be an awesome signing. He'll be 30 at the start of the season but he would absolutely solidify that left side for 3-4 years. Offensive lineman can play deeper into their careers and I also would be OK with signing some older veteran talent.

Add 3-5 players using $45-50 million ($10 to 12 million per year) -
    *The ages are how old they will be at the start of next season.

Offensive free agents 2018
    RB Le'veon Bell - 25
    RB Carlos Hyde - 26
    RB Darren Sproles - 34
    RB Eddie Lacy - 28
    RB Shane Vereen - 29
    RB Terrance West - 27
    RB Dion Lewis - 27

WR Alshon Jeffery - 28
    WR Terrelle Pryor - 29
    WR Sammy Watkins - 25
    WR Eric Decker - 31
    WR Taylor Gabriel - 27
    WR Jordan Matthews - 26
    WR Marqise Lee - 25
    WR Allen Robinson - 25
    WR Davante Adams - 25
    WR Jarvis Landry - 25
    WR John Brown - 28
    WR Martavis Bryant - 26

TE Jimmy Graham - 31
    TE Antonio Gates - 38
    TE Tyler Eifert - 28

LT Nate Solder - 30
    LT Donald Penn - 35
    T Cameron Fleming - 26
    T Seantrel Henderson - 26 (susp. first 10 games I believe)
    T Austin Pazstor - 27
    T Chris Clark - 32
    T Chris Hairston - 29
    T Byron Bell - 29
    T Donald Stephenson - 29
    T Garry Gilliam - 27
    G Luke Joeckel - 26
    G Shawn Lauvao - 30
    G Andre Smith - 31
    G Jermon Bushrod - 34
    G Andrew Norwell - 26
    G Justin Pugh - 28
    C Evan Smith - 32
    C Weston Richburg - 27

I'll add some more as I look deeper into it. We have a very good opportunity to retool the entire offense with all the talent here. We need our young receivers to develop so we can really focus on the offensive line.

It's not hard to rebuild an offensive line though. The Vikings added 5 entirely new starters to the roster in one offseason.

#36 Jonathan_Vilma, Sep 24, 2017
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  17. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

It sounds simplistic but I would make 26 years of age the smart cut off to maximize each guys remaining potential and follow what the Giants have done in the past...that's only 11 or 12 FAs to choose from

18. Jonathan_Vilma

Eh, again though, offensive lineman have a bit of a different age mark because of the fact that they can be successful deeper into their careers.

Look at what Andrew Whitworth is doing with the Rams. He's 37 and still plays a good left tackle.

I also don't want to be signing a bunch of AARP members to protect our quarterback. But we cannot mess around with not fixing this offensive line, especially when it comes to protecting a younger quarterback we'll likely have playing next year.

19. wampa

wampa Well-Known Member

Ugh, don't remind me about the Vikings. I wanted Pat Eflein. I can see the Solder move, but it feels like it'd be a weird step against the youth movement the Jets seem to be aiming for. On paper, he's the only one of those OL that stands out to me as a significant talent upgrade though - though granted I haven't heavily researched most of these guys. I can see it if we get to bring an FQB in though. Very few of those OL prospects excite me generally, simply because I don't feel most of them offer significant upgrades in terms of youth/upside or current talent over our current OL. Remember that our OL currently isn't all that bad... it's just not particularly good. Solder and grabbing a top-level guard or center with a 2nd round pick though? That'd be a sexy upgrade.

Really don't want to make a big-money offer to an RB either when we could grab a perfectly serviceable RB in the 3rd round or so to committee with Powell. The place I see the most room for offensive upgrades in FA is definitely at wideout. Just a lot of good, talented names there.

#39 wampa, Sep 24, 2017