Christopher Johnson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by hwismer, Sep 20, 2017.

1. hwismer

hwismer Active Member

Cimini:

New Jets CEO Christopher Johnson spoke to the media for the first time since taking over the team from his older brother, Woody, the new U.S. ambassador to the U.K. Biggest takeaways: Johnson said he doesn't consult with Woody on any football matters. He said he will decide the fates of coach Todd Bowles and GM Mike Maccagnan. He said, "We definitely are not tanking." Johnson is excited about the future, yet realistic about the present. He struck the right balance. It was an impressive media debut.

2. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Sign this beast.

3. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

So if the goal of the season is to see progress made by the youngsters, why the hell are McCown and Forte starting and why did the young WR's get almost no snaps last week?

But the good news is team progress will be the determining factor. Bowles hasn't shown the ability to get better in 3 years. Later Toilet..

#3 PulseJet, Sep 20, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    K'OB, HAYN, SOJAZ and 7 others like this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Exactly! Anyone who thinks C. Johnson is being truthful is simply gullible or wanting hear fairy tales.

K'OB, CBG, NCJetsfan and 2 others like this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

How far can he throw a football and can he read a defense?

6. PulseJet

I think the reason he gave the interview is they are worried about attendance for the home opener. Need to drum up some positive talk...

7. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I think progress and playing the more experienced players like MCown and Forte are opposing agendas. Bowles needs to win gamed to secure hi job even if "progress" is the factor being looked at.

What's most telling is how bad the defense has been. Lee and Davis look awful, Leonard Williams is being double and triple teamed because teams know that Mo Wilkerson won't be able to disrupt on his own and no one else on the d-line will cause pressure, our corners look like garbage, and both young WR's are being significantly out-repped by a recent acquisiton in Kerley.

That's not progress...that's trying to win games. Bowles won't last, Macc is up in the air. If we go 1-15 I have a hard time believing either of them are back but who knows

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

I agree. I think they're terrified of what the attendance is going to be for this game, and then it will only get worse. If it's as bad as I think it will be, I predict a housecleaning, including Macc, starting by game 8. Woody vastly over-estimated the abilities of Macc and Bowles, and vastly underestimated the pent of anger and frustration of the fans, and that's now starting to come to the surface where even he can't ignore it.

9. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

The best way to do that is to give fans a reason to show up. No one cares if McCown has a good day or not, how many catches Kersey has or honestly, if they win or not. He's not the future and most don't understand why he's on the field at all. Until Blowes understands that playing McCown and the vets will not secure his contract extension, he'll be forced to play the kids or risk empty stands all season long. Being super PR conscious as the Jet High Command is, they'll get a not so subtle message to Blowes to play the kids or else. Blowes knows he's a dead coach walking and he's coaching like it. The future is today for Blowes but tomorrow is more important to the Organization.

10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Woody listened to Casserly pimp his hand picked buddy for GM. Now that mistake along with passing on Dan Quinn for Blowes is biting all of us in the ass. You'd think a Billionaire would know when someone has an agenda. Thanks for nothing Charley..

11. JetDan

JetDan Well-Known Member

Seems more genuine then Woody. We can win 10 Super Bowls, what Woody did to season ticket holders will never be forgiven.

12. ColoradoContrails

I'm not, nor ever was, a STH...could never afford it. But what Woody did by mandating PSLs was "Penny-wise (at best) and pound foolish". Instead of building a team that people would fight to get tickets for, he "forced" people to hand over money for a substandard product. It might;ve worked in the short term, but it's going to bite him in the ass pretty soon.

13. Jonathan_Vilma

I mean honestly though guys, what is he supposed to say?

Yep, we're tanking so we get the first overall pick. I hope we lose all 16 games.

If he were to be purely honest that would open us up to fines and sanctions and possibly lost draft picks. The league does NOT want to hear about teams trying to lose games.

I'm glad to hear he's not consulting Woody on football decisions though. Woody isn't too good with those.

14. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

This was for the fans, plain and simple. They are letting the fans know they are paying attention to what is going on and heads ARE going to roll halfway through the season or definitely at the end of the season.

If I were TB I would say screw it, let's play Petty, make changes to the defense, mix things up, do something different.

As much as I think Blowes is not a good HC, I still want to see the man go down fighting.

grkmanga31 and PulseJet like this.
  15. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Even Bellichick knows how terrible Casserly has been.

Belichick: "Who's been been wrong more than Charley Casserly?" – ProFootballTalk
    8 years ago

You can’t accuse Bill Belichick of being boring with the media anymore; he just needs the right target.

Last month, he happily took shots at some Carolina Panthers in defense of Randy Moss. Speaking Monday on WEEI, Belichick took aim at CBS analyst Charley Casserly.

Belichick was asked about Casserly’s report that Tom Brady was playing through three broken ribs.

“Who’s been wrong more than Charley Casserly since he left the Redskins? His percentage is like a meteorologist,” Belichick said.

“He has no relationship to this team. I’d say less than zero. Based on what? He’s never at a practice, never at a game,” Belichick said before getting into a discussion of sports media practices in general.

“At least he put his name on it which is more than a lot of guys. But, like he usually is, he was 100 percent wrong.

playtowinthegame and Cman68 like this.
  16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Red, Sadly, I don't think he's capable of going down fighting or mixing things up.

CBG likes this.
  17. PulseJet

Agreed, I want Bowles to do what is needed. If he does I'll wish him a fond fairwell when the door hits him in the arse.

boozer32 likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yeah, I can't imagine Woody investing so much money in this team and constantly meddling over the years and now he's just gonna step back and not even discuss the team with Chris? Right. If Chris is being honest about that, it could be great news, and maybe there is some hope for this franchise, but I doubt it.

Hopefully, Chris is truly a fan and wants to see the team win, and will be true to his word about being impatient and expecting to see this team progress. I just hope that he's not so impatient and decides to scrap the rebuild, but I hope that he's impatient enough that he'll can Blowes the second the season ends, and maybe Mac too. Then hire John Dorsey as GM.

EDIT: after reading several of the articles about why Dorsey was fired in KC, I would have great hesitation about hiring him as Team President. Management, communication and organization are evidently not his strong suits, and imo those are things that the Team President would need in spades. Because of that I don't think I'd want him as President of Football Operations, but if the Jets fire Mac, I'd want him as the next GM in a NY minute. If they hired him as GM, I think they would need to get a cap guru to handle the cap, as he didn't do a very good job with that in KC. He can work to improve his communication and management skills so that he doesn't piss people off.

#18 NCJetsfan, Sep 20, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  19. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I said it months ago Bowels won't change and or learn from mistakes its not in his DNA. He will play vets to a fault, and I knew Mccown would be the opening day starter it was never debatable . Even if Petty had not gotten hurt he would not have started. Bowels will stick to his system even though the players don't fit it. Bowels is a round peg in a square hole type of guy and should have been fired already , him staying is only putting off the inevitable ! I said the Jets Owner and organization would not be able to take the heat and would wilt and give in and it has started . It is only week 2 and they are doing damage control, we have seen this movie so many times before and it ends badly. So what about the plan, and rebuilding blah blah yada yada------> when the Jets are the punchline of late night jokes, and talk radio is bashing them and they are not winning games and the stadium is empty then they will fold , they always do . The ONLY thing the organization has going for it is the Giants are having problems so it takes some of the spotlight in NY off the Jets. Once the Giants turn that mess around and sports radio starts to really turn up the heat and the back pages of newspapers are comic strips,,,,,,,wait and watch it will happen and Bowels will finally be gone, better late than never. ps sadly Mike Mac who I feel is also in way over his head will still be here !

20. Jonathan_Vilma

Zing. At least we can confirm that this wasn't a sabotage job by Casserly in junction with the Patriots.

The more I look at Maccagnan's resume the more pissed off I get about it. The guy was never the director of player personnel or assistant general manager or any of those things. He was the director of college scouting for three years. Granted, the Texans did draft some good players in those years, but he literally had zero front office experience prior to being hired as our general manager.

It's also frustrating because a couple of qualified future general managers and even head coaches wouldn't even interview with us given the fact that Woody was giving them stipulations prior to hiring Idzik. Like forcing them to trade Revis, AND keep Rex on as our head coach.

I believe George Paton (Vikings assistant GM) and Gary Kubiak were among a couple of candidates a while back that wouldn't interview. I'll double check for article confirmation on this.