Will we be sellers at the trade deadline

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by grkmanga31, Sep 20, 2017.

1. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

According to Chad Forbes' twitter "Teams expect Jets open for business trade wise near deadline. GM structured contracts to add assets in trades. James Carpenter popular"

"Team that'll have serious interest Jets James Carpenter is Ravens if they're alive in October. Ravens have compensatory picks to part with"

Now, it would not shock me if at the trade deadline, if we have 1 or no wins to shed even more dead weight players, but it would be unwise to get rid of Carpenter if the goal is to draft a QB in 2018. You cannot draft a young QB, without experience/talent on the o-line. It is a recipe for disaster and injury

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Amen! Of course Mac could be thinking about adding a FA OG, but still, that would be a very stupid move imo.

I don't know why Chad Forbes thinks the Jets will be open for business. Who do the Jets have that other teams would want aside from Carpenter? Leonard Williams is the Jets' best player, but they shouldn't even consider moving him. I doubt anyone will have any interest in Mo with his contract and the way he's still playing (or not playing).

Probably Adams and Maye, but I'd be shocked (and Mac should be shot) if he traded one of them. I think Petty might be a real candidate since Mac doesn't seem to care much for him and other teams have expressed interest in him. If he trades Petty, that will pretty much be the final nail in Mac's coffin as far as I'm concerned, even if he knocks it out of the part in FA and the draft in 2018.

3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

There isn't much left to sell.

Burnz, wampa, almbleamal and 7 others like this.
  4. grkmanga31

I could see Jets parting ways with Carpenter, but I would only do so if we got a 2nd round pick back. He's been very solid since he's gotten here, and seeing as Jets will in the hunt for a top QB for 2018, there's really no reason to part ways with a good o-linemen. Can't let your young QB take hits and get injured if you want to build a successful team.

Other players on our team that could be moved - Wilkerson if we eat remainder of cap for year, or he ops to restructure. Buster Skrine may be moved - he will be cut in offseason with 6 mil in cap savings versus 2.5 mil in dead cap, Matt Forte will be cut so if you can move him for a 7th round pick, mite as well. Other than that, as Homeofthejets said, there's not a ton of players that are appealing.

5. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Carpenter only has 1 year left on his deal. Frankly, the only reason he's thought of so highly here is because he's one of the few (only?) competent offensive linemen the Jets have. He's not great, but he happens to be a member of this shit unit which elevates his stock.

If you can get anything for him in a trade take it and add someone younger to the position moving forward.

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Carpenter isn't great, and a 2nd round pick for him would be very tempting, but I'd have to know that there was a FA OG I'd be able to sign who was just as good as Carpenter. As you said, risking the QB's health for an additional draft pick isn't worth it.

IMO nobody is gonna trade for Skrine or Forté.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  7. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I can see Macc trading Petty. Other that trading McCown or Carpenter, who's left to trade? Powell?

grkmanga31 likes this.
  8. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Trade anyone other than Williams, Adams, Maye if any team is stupid enough to give up value for any of the other trash.

9. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Wonder what Carpenter would even fetch... It's not like he's so old and past his prime too. He could conceivably be a good player for at least several more years or more so I'd be in no rush to trade him. The team can't abandon all of it's veterans. He's an important part of the line.

And who replaces him? Is Dozier up for it? If they're serious about evaluating a QB, they should hang on to Carpenter. Would take a solid Day 2 pick to even consider IMO, and I don't think that's likely. I say keep him.

Otherwise, no idea what "assets" this team has. I'll throw a name out there that I would not personally trade (unless it was a great offer), but is worth debate: Darron Lee. Would be an admission of failure and a bad one, but is it possible he's just not compatible in this defense?
    I haven't given up on him yet, though, and am aware he's young and that, frankly, this is another developmental season for him. But if a team that sees a lot in him and has a better scheme puts a good offer down, who knows...

CONN-JET.2.0.3. likes this.
  10. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Everyone on the roster should be considered tradeable by our gm.
    Very few will be considered tradeable by other gms. So much like the last hours of a yard sale, I'd wouldn't expect much to happen.
    Mac will be out in the meadowlands parking lot sitting in front of a folding table, petty sitting on the table with. $2 tag on him,forte next to him with a $.25 tag on him. Cars driving by,sometimes he'll get a quick brake light before the car hits the gas and speeds off.

ColoradoContrails and grkmanga31 like this.
  11. grkmanga31

Was thinking about him possibly being traded but I wonder how much of his failure is of his own doing, or how much of it is because Bowles keeps on putting him in a position to fail. We aren't playing the proper scheme for him to excel, he is not a David Harris, nor is he a Bart Scott. He is a free roaming, undersized LB, who should be good at tracking receivers out of the backfield, and blitzing. Right now, Bowles is having him do things he shouldn't be doing. I dont think that absolves Lee but I wonder how he'd look in a 4-3 with another coach in 2018.

12. xxedge72x

Wilkerson is a potential piece to part with. He's probably the only realistic player the Jets can get a 1st round pick for.

13. grkmanga31

Jets won't even get a 3rd for him. His play has diminished so much that I would be shocked to see a time bite on him. Only reason I can see it happening is under the pretense that Jets eat cap/restructure contract, and Wilkerson needs a change of scenery. According to Pro Football Focus, he's graded out week 1 and 2 well, but I have not seen enough impact from him to really believe a PFF grade overcomes the eye test.

14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Mistake

15. xxedge72x

Teams trade for players they think they can mold, not for the performance they are seeing in real time. All it takes is one team who is impressed with him and can envision him being a dominant piece of their defense.

16. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Just as no one though we could get anything more than a 4th or 5th for Sheldon.

almbleamal likes this.
  17. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I would trade any player, including Williams, for draft picks. I love Williams, but a dominant lineman means fuck all when you have trash on the second line of defense behind you.

We will need to have a contingency plan -- that is extra draft picks to be able to trade up if we don't get the 1st or 2nd pick.

This season has to be about getting a franchise QB, at all costs.

grkmanga31 likes this.
  18. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

Someone who has adapted quickly since getting here who could help a team is Kearse. He has developed chemistry early and that would be valuable to a team that is struggling with injured receivers. I could see the Ravens maybe.

CONN-JET.2.0.3. and NCJetsfan like this.
  19. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

We should trade all our veterans for a bunch of AAA players and restock the farm...oh wait wrong sport.

20. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Come shop at Woody Johnson's flea market, where one teams trash, is the Jets starters, go Jets