Theoretically speaking..

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Sep 19, 2017.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Problem is, without the cali qbs,who is worth moving up for? And wouldn't be better off with whomever it was?
    outside of safety, where can we not use the best player in the draft?

2. cgrec

cgrec Well-Known Member

We need the #1 pick.

A) Gives us the choice between Darnold and Rosen, not whoever is leftover between the 2 (though id gladly take either)

B) 1 of them might not come out

3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well to make that broad of a statement, essentially you're saying that it's the owner - Leon, now Woody - that has the most impact, and is the reason we can't develop a FQB. I don't think that's the case, except indirectly by the choices they made/make for GM and HC. So it's possible that Woody could get lucky and hire the right people, or the fans could lucky and Woody sells the team to somebody who DOES n=know how to hire the right people. So, there's SOME hope.

4. ColoradoContrails

It's possible that a team with an already pretty high pick covets the #1 or 2 pick we have, and by swapping we might still get a great impact player with our first pick - say Barkley. That would be my "Fallback Dream Scenario" if we can;t get the surefire FQB with the 1st pick. I would then look to take one of the lesser QBs possibly with the second pick unless there was a slam dunk LT or pass rusher available.

5. ColoradoContrails

We need the #1 pick, period,

The problem is that we're the Jets and always find a way to fuck that up, and I see that a real possibility this year too. No player or coach will ever purposely lose a game unless they're being paid off to do it. And we do play some shitty teams. While I can see 0-16 as a possibility, I'd say it's not likely. I still think they win at least 2 and maybe three.

But if it comes down to that last game in Foxboro and they haven't won yet, they had better just fold like cheap lawn chairs.

6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Possible not probable. At the top
    of the draft qbs drive the market. No team is going to want to give up multiple picks for any other position. And if they are willing,because some non qb is that good,well, we should probably being taking that player instead of messing around. We need top end talent.

7. ColoradoContrails

That's what I was saying: another team with a high - #5-6 - pick covets one of the non-Cali QBs (who have decided to stay on school), and by trading down with them, we might still be able to get a Barkley or some other stud.

I know it's likely, but it is possible. I still believe both Rosen and Darnold will come out though, and we need to get one of them.

8. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

I think it's a combination of things - owner, mismanagement, coaching, NY media, impatient fan base, losing SOJ culture etc.. There's a lot of blame to go around, but I think we are better off bringing in veteran QBs instead of trying to grow our own. If Luck becomes available, I think that is something we have to pursue.

nycarl likes this.
  9. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Sam Darnold reminds me of Matthew Stafford. He's the one guy that if we get I feel that even we can't totally blow it. He may not go on to be an all time great or whatever but I just can't even imagine he won't be a rock solid pro that is good enough to win with.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't think it would come down to it, either, but wouldn't even consider it.

Think for a minute about how incredibly stupid the Jets would look (and BE!) if they traded Adams as part of a package to move up and draft either Darnold or Rosen, and then that QB winds up being a bust and Adams goes on to become a perennial All Pro if not a HOF career. It would be such a typical Jets-type move, except it would blow away every single bad draft pick, trade or move that the Jets had ever made. By comparison, Roger Vick and Lam Jones would be considered good moves.

I'm sorry, but trading away a player like Adams or Williams, (probably the two best players on the team) to roll the dice on a QB, would be insane imo.

NYJetsO12 and TonyFtLaud like this.
  11. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

**Dark Sider Outlook**
    Jets land the #5 pick. The Pats trade up to get the #4 and take a QB that goes on to be Brady II.
    Jets take one of the remaining QB's that goes on to be out of the league in 2 years.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  12. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

trading allen to save a future pick that we could possibly miss on is a bad move. I'd rather trade our 1st a 2nd and maybe future 2nd. according to the chart moving up from 5 to 2 would cost us the 5 pick, a 2nd rounder, and 3rd rounder

13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

CMAN. Your intentions are good but I don't think the logic will prevail.
    1- First off, you might have 3, may be 4 out of that bunch that can become FQBs. Of the 4. Probably one, may be 2 could start in 2018. That is the crem de la crem
    2- No matter who is ahead of the Jets, need for a QB or not, will suck up the top dogs in a nano second or trade out the pick for a boat load of players.
    3- Rest assured that without the number 1 or number 2 pick we will be out of the running for a FQB in my opinion, not to mention the Jet factor that even if we are on the clock we might fuck it up
    4- If we are 4th or 5th or may be even third I would not be at all surprised if Mac goes in a different direction, with the probervial BPA
    5- Which circles me back to the paramount importance of finding out what we have in Petty now. We could very well miss out on the QB sweep stakes and be stupid enough to loose Petty as well only to become a star for another team.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. Jets_Grinch

Jets_Grinch Well-Known Member

I agree with everything in your post except #4. I think even Mac is smart enough to see these QB's and do everything to move up. BPA is pick #1 and one of two California QB's, anything less should be his career and will set this team back another ten years.

LAJet likes this.
  15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I think it's pretty much imperative to get the #1 pick at this point. Josh Allen has been less than impressive and I'm not sold on Lamar Jackson as a franchise quarterback.

The Jets can look like a lot more attractive of a situation if we sign one of the many free agent receivers, maybe get Tyler Eifert (unless ASJ/Leggett progress enough) and go get an offensive tackle or center in free agency.

The 2-5 receiver spot should be set with Kearse, Hansen, Stewart, Anderson and friends. If the youngsters progress that's actually a solid group.

Our guards are solid. Brandon Shell looks decent right now but we'll see how he finishes.

With improved quarterback play and a new voice (coach) for the defense we should be relatively competitive next year in the 7-9 to 9-7 range if the young quarterback plays well.

If we don't get the top pick, maybe we take Saquon Barkley and a tackle before trying to take one of the lower rated quarterbacks in the second. Baker Maysfield, Jake Browning, etc. and hope for an Andy Dalton situation where there is a solid runningback and weapons to the point where they just need to distribute the ball.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  16. Greensleeves

Greensleeves Well-Known Member

Sorry to break it to you, but we're not even close to being the worst team of the last 10 years - or even 20. We've made the playoffs quite a bit, so please stop with the "we're one of the worst franchises in the NFL" baloney. How many title games have the Browns, Dolphins, Bills, Raiders, Texans, Jags, Titans been a part of in the last 10 years - that's right, zero. We've at least been to two of them. This year we are purposely sucking. We'll hopefully get a franchise QB, have a boat load of money to sign free agents, and an extra #2 as well in the draft. Next year will look hugely different, especially with a new coach. It wasn't long ago that the Raiders were horrible for a long time.

17. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

It's the Jets - they will end up picking 6th or 7th

18. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

that is the thing with this team - they are either good but not good enough to win it all, or bad but not quite bad enough to get that franchise QB we have never had - we are just just constantly in football limbo.

19. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

LA, I'm surprised that this thread has gotten the traction that it has. Just wanted to get our folks to do a little outside the box thinking on the season. We don't need to be historically bad, but we do need to be pretty damn bad. Out of the Big-6, if 4 become FQB's, all we need to be is in the top 3 given a 1 pick cushion. I didn't factor in the teams with older FQB's looking for a replacement or 1-1 teams that want a replacement for the marginal Qb they have presently. The odds become a lot longer if our win totals go above 3. Anyway you cut it, we can still get into the sweepstakes IF we are no better than 3-13. 4-12 makes us longshots to land a FQB out of the Big 3 but still has us in the game if you're looking at the Big-6.

I think a #3 pick keeps us in the game. The record for that might require 2-14 though as a lot of teams get on the tank train. This is a danger the NFL has created for itself in that if you're not good enough to make the playoffs, you need to be bad enough to land a blue chip dp. I have a sneaky suspicion that there's gonna be a lot of 4-12 teams this year as there really isn't any point to a 7-9, 8-8, 9-7 record unless you're moderately successful and only perhaps a player or two away from true contention. This is the darker side of Parity. As the season wears on, we'll start to see teams seperate from contenders to pretenders. The last thing we need is to present Macc with any option other than drafting a Qb since as we all know, he's married to the BPA at any cost mantra.

There are several wildcards the Jets are faced with:
    1- Todd Blowes coaching for his contract extension. The future is now and he couldn't give a shit where our DP is. Especially since he's not gonna be around to reap the benefits of it. His mission is to win as many games as he can and gas up his resume for his next employer. Don't be surprised if the Jets go all out to beat the Patriots in their last game of the year, then celebrate that as we kiss our FQB chances goodbye. Remember Tenn?? Meaningless wins..

2- McClown or Bryce Petty might show enough to convince Macc he can stand pat at Qb and draft BPA-D once again. We saw this in 2016 with Fitz. Blowes will play McClown until ordered to join in the rebuild. If McClown continues to be mediocre, Blowes will use that as a reason NOT to play Petty or Hack. Blowes is not interested in this rebuild no matter what he says publicly.

What we may see come Jan 2018 is the most 2-14/3-13 teams in the history of the NFL. There actually may have to be tie-breakers utilized to establish a draft hierarchy. 2017 has become a race to the bottom for all but a precious few teams.

LAJet likes this.
  20. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

I hope the 2 cali kids come out and the Browns pick #1 and Jets #2.

I have no faith that either team will be able to evaluate who the better qb will be.

I think Rosen is the safer pick. He's going to be a very good pro.

HomeoftheJets and Jets_Grinch like this.