Potential Coaching Candidates thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Sep 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Mike Munchak could be a dark horse candidate on the long list of retread. He looks and acts the part and also has the pedigree as a Hall of Famer.

He's been a long time offensive line coach that might be able to see the offensive and defensive units through a neutral lens without specializing in the crafting of either unit in terms of systems or playcalling.

His rosters in Tennessee were pretty bare on both sides of the ball and had an old Matt Hasselbeck, Jake Locker and Ryan Fitzpatrick as his quarterbacks to go along with shitty young weapons (outside of Chris Johnson) and not much of a pass rush on defense.

He would also most certainly turn this offensive line around at the very least.

I'm starting to like the idea of a 'retread' after going 17 years of first time head coaches.

This means Todd Haley, Mike Munchak, Scott Linehan, Pat Shurmur etc. as the primary targets.

Pat Shurmur could be considered as well. He doesn't have the greatest track record, but he coached under Andy Reid for a while and seems to work with quarterbacks decently (Donovan McNabb, Sam Bradford x2, Nick Foles?).

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i definitely agree. i think building a 4-3 around williams and our safeties is the quickest way to a competent d.
    wilk,leo,ealy, another end
    jenkins,need a mike,lee
    some sound tackling corners and adams and maye
    not the worse d in the world.

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I like how this thread has quietly slipped to the fourth page. I imagine it will creep back up following a trap game against the Browns? If not, it will surely be back after we lose to the Patriots.

Wanted to bring up this candidate.

Pete Carmichael has been the offensive coordinator for the Saints since 2009. He has helped to have that offense as a top 6 offense every year since then, including 4 finishes at #1 overall (in terms of yardage).

Obviously Sean Payton is the mastermind behind the offense, but surely he's pretty good at coaching the offense too. I wonder why he's never discussed. He's only 45 so he's not some sort of bah humbug old coach that wants to just coach one unit in one city and be left alone.

boozer32 and grkmanga31 like this.
  4. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

New York would drive him back to drinking.

Cman68 likes this.
  5. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Not only D but bad D. I hope Macc is not making anymore picks for the Jets. I thought he would be better that Tandy and Idzik.

6. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

As of today my top 5:
    Jim Harbaugh
    David Shaw
    Scott Linehan
    Josh McDaniel
    Bill O'Brien if he parts with Texans

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.