Potential Coaching Candidates thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Sep 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

Hope Payton gets canned in New Orleans..

2. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Did Payton and Morton have a good relationship?

If so, it could be possible to add Payton as HC and keep Morton as OC and not have to tear up the playbook for the 4th time in 7 years.

Also, not sure what all the hate toward Payton is about. Every coach, at some point in their career, could benefit greatly with a change of scenery.

Look at Reid, Del Rio, etc... So I'm not willing to concede Payton's fire is out yet.

I'm not sure Payton would want to coach the Jets but he would be the first "real" coach we've had in decades.

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I wonder if we could get a Dorsey-Jim Schwartz-Morton Jr combination?

Schwartz would make this team a true aggressive 4-3 team and Morton can continue to fix the offense. The key however is the Dorsey acquisition.

4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I'm not sure that Schwartz wants to keep bouncing around without any upwards mobility. I see him as only making a move if he is given an opportunity to be a head coach.

I'm fully in favor of a 4-3 defense though. The 3-4 is too hard to build of you do not have a really good pass rushing outside linebacker. We do not have that.

I'd like to see Leo as the 3tech in a 4-3 formation. He could be a wrecking ball in that role where he doesn't have to worry about taking up multiple blockers anymore.

Ezekiel Ansah and DeMarcus Lawrence are both free agents. We would likely have to break the bank for Ansah, although he had a poor 2016 with only two sacks. Lawrence has maxed out at 8 sacks in a season but already has 4 this season.

Maybe we can retain Kony Ealy on a relatively affordable deal. Outside of that the defensive end market is pretty bare next year.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  5. 101GangGreen101

Schwartz reminds me of a Jack Del Rio type of acquisition. Pair him with Morton Jr and Sam Darnold potentially. I do believe he wants to still be a head coach, I think he wants one more shot at it at the age of 51. The 4-3 would be more simplistic, and I think Schwartz has always put his defensive players in the right situation to succeed. I want Leo to dominate the interior. He should be an all pro player for us. I think the Jets could keep Ealy, he has been pretty decent for us and could start. Just need another edge rusher that can bend the edge. Lee you put him in the role as a side-line to side-line linebacker. Let him blitz off the edge on some plays.

4-3 speed rushers are easier to find then the worldly do it all 3-4 outside linebackers. Jets still looking for Ware and have no idea how to scout for a player like that.

6. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Jim Bob Cooter - lions Offensive coordinator. But want to see more of the lions before I'm fully sold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Beki

Beki Active Member

If, IF, somehow...we can draft a potential fr QB, I would be all in for an offensive-minded HC, but it would require a solid DC who can fix our defense....

8. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Funny, but we've been hiring solid DC's for a few years now... Unfortunately for us, they were hired as HC's.

9. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

4-3 Defense we'd be instantly better.

DE- Ealy
    3T- Leo
    NT- Pennel(I like him)
    DE- ?????

Sam- Jenkins(or upgrade but he's been good)
    Mike- ????
    Will- Lee(natural position)

C- Claiborne
    S- Adams
    S- Maye
    C- Burris
    Nickel- ??????

Get a true EDGE, a Mike and a nickelback and we're on our way.

ColoradoContrails and grkmanga31 like this.
  10. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

The problem is that they haven't even TRIED to get a Demarcus Ware or Von Miller. Because we seem to perpetually have coaches and GMs who believe that this in the 1970s, the main concern is to stop the big, bruising running backs, and that sacking the QB is nothing more than a novelty. Since 2009, our various GMs have drafted everything BUT an OLB in the first two rounds. It's like they saw what happened with Vernon Gholston, and resolved to NEVER draft a linebacker again.

A 3-4 defense with good linebackers is, in my opinion, a better pass rushing defense than a 4-3, as it's harder to block and harder to plan for. That said, I do agree that it's harder to find a top caliber OLB who can be an excellent pass rusher and also be good in coverage.

But at the end of the day, it's not going to matter what the base defense is. If the GM refuses to get the right personnel for the job, and they can't get a coach who is able to develop and use players properly, it's not going to matter.

11. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

That's because we have had 3 head coaches that think they can just manufacture a pass rush if they have coverage on the back end. But the league consistently figures out those type of schemes. No one has figured out von miller though. Someday we will decide to just have better players rather than coaches that insist on showing the world how smart they are

12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'm guessing that we'll be hiring a new HC before the draft, not the other way around. And whoever that coach is, he needs to be an offensive-minded guy who is flexible enough to take advantage of the skillset of whichever QB we wind up with.

Of course, if Macc is still in charge, he will probably draft "D" in the first 4 rounds anyway, so it won't matter.

boozer32 likes this.
  13. Jonathan_Vilma

It's confusing though because they think highly of their scheme yet insist on continuing to need high priced free agents and highly drafted players to run that scheme.

I'd much rather roll with a high powered offense and let the defense figure itself out. We can have a defense that gives up a lot of yards that predicates itself on forcing turnovers and clamping down in the Red Zone similar to what the Cowboys have been building.

Oh and make sure you have speedy edge rushers. The Colts went with two pass rushers for Peyton Manning's entire tenure and while the defense held them back at times it wasn't completely detrimental to the success of the team as they always came up with timely sacks.

The Saints are meh now but in their peak from 2009-2013 they had shitty defenses in terms of yards but they forced a ton of turnovers. They won double digit games in 2009 and 2011 having defenses that ranked 25th and 24th in yards. They still won 7 games in 2012 having the 32nd ranked NFL defense.

ColoradoContrails and FJF like this.
  14. 101GangGreen101

3-4 linebackers are game changers no doubt. I think 4-3 cause of Williams. You can really find a decent amount of depth in terms of rushers on the outside to compliment Williams. Pressure inside is always the best way to get to the QB.

Jets have no idea what they are looking for, but I totally agree that they want their linebackers to be big bruisers to stop the run. Denver isnt't doing that with Von Miller.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

A crazy thought here: how about Wade Phillips? I don't think he'd take defensive players in the day 1 picks that much, as this defense already has a lot of good material around. He has a record of decent success with Cowboys already. His lifetime record is at 82-64, and has a ring as well. In short, he has an experience of winning, and that happened not so long ago too. Maybe 1 fearsome edge rushing prospect, but that's about all I see.

Maybe we can see Phillips 3-4 at work in NY; Wilk at one-gap NT, with Leo and Ealy at one-gap DEs, backed by the LBs. We might actually see that pass rush wasn't lost in NY defense after all!

Can't he make this defense work? That would allow the team to concentrate on offense for the future as well.

Or am I delusional?

16. Jonathan_Vilma

Yes. Forget the rest of the players. We need to build the defense around our strengths. Leonard Williams is our strength. I'm completely fine if we switched the defense solely to benefit him. 7-10 sacks out of a 3technique is an awesome total especially if there's speed around the edge. He can also create single coverage for the rest of the line.

He's not helping anyone as the 5tech in the 3-4. Most of his sacks came when we were in a 4 down alignment the past couple years.

17. Jonathan_Vilma

He can. His defenses are good pretty much regardless of where he goes. I don't want him as a head coach though. He's has a good record but that's sporadically starting in 1993. I don't even think he'd want to be a head coach anymore at his age.

18. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

the colts set up a defense that complimented their offense. they knew it was a matter of time before peyton would be up 2 touch downs and teams would have to pass, enter freeney and mathis.they added macfarland to give just enough size to be kind of ok against the run. cover 2 corners to keep everything in front of them and a hard hitting safety to clean things up. very simple concept and you can find players that fit that system everywhere(except for freeney, he was special).
    saints essentially did the same with will smith,vilma and darren sharper. simple d based on the offense putting you in a hole early.
    rex tried to compliment his d with his o,only he did it based on 1990's football and a complicated scheme that wasn't easy to fit players into. also the blitz packages are figured out quickly in this league.

19. Jonathan_Vilma

Well that's why I want to switch to that sort of 4-3 defense that relies on not giving up big plays. Force teams to go the full length of the field every team and keep plays in front of your safeties and teams will eventually start to make mistakes.

If our safeties are going to be as good as their draft positions indicate, we could have a very solid base to setup that type of defense. Maybe even in an attempt to emulate the Seahawks cover 3 look. Maye over the top preventing big plays and ballhawking (Thomas), while Jamal Adams (Chancellor) cleans everything up in that enforcer role.

I keep going back to the Patriots, but they often have played this style of defense as of late, whether it was a 3-4 or a 4-3. Don't blitz a ton or take big risks and find edge rushers with a relentless motor (Ninkovich - Jet killer btw, and Chandler Jones). We need to find players that are comfortable coming play after play after play. Terrell Suggs isn't a great player because he has unreal strength or speed. He's a great player because of his motor and he later refined his pass rushing skills.

It's also a lot easier to draft for a 4-3 since colleges primarily use this sort of alignment, if not a nickel variation of the formation. You're not drafting a player and trying to fit them into the 3-4. You're drafting someone who already played in a defense with similar principles.

ColoradoContrails and FJF like this.
  20. Jonathan_Vilma

I wonder if Gary Kubiak would want to get back into coaching. I believe he retired due to health concerns but if he recovered he could be a good option.

As the Broncos offensive coordinator he had a top 10 offense 9/11 seasons including 8 top 5 finishes in terms of yards.

Over the next eleven seasons as the Texans and Broncos head coach and Ravens offensive coordinator for a season he had top 15 offenses 8/11 seasons including 4 top 7 finishes in terms of yardage.

He's a good offensive coach whom ironically won his Super Bowl based on defense (Wade Phillips defense nonetheless).

Not sure how he's doing physically though, but he deserves a look if he's OK.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.