Week 2 Studs and Duds

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Sep 18, 2017.

1. jco2007

jco2007 Active Member

Simple to draft RBs bro. Took Gordon, Montgomery, Hunt and Anderson in a deep league. They all got me loads of points this week :)

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  2. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Bruce Smith was always doubled - or in some cases, tripled. Still got to the QB.

3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

My Dud would be Leonard Williams. Only because I have barely seen him this year. Wilkerson too, but I am becoming used to that sadly.

Studs would definitely be Maye and Adams. Kearse and McCown were good on offense too.

4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

lol it's just that easy huh? Bastard. :p

5. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Not enough footballs for 3 guys, play Powell and Maguire, you're rebuilding you don't need a 32 year old HB, not to mention a 38 yr old QB...

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

In terms of developing young players and seeing who can help them going forward, I totally agree that it makes no sense to play McCown. In terms of trying to secure the best draft position we can, however, I've decided I don't want Petty playing, as I believe the Jets would win 3-4 games, and possibly more with Petty starting. I hope they keep starting McCown, and then play Hack. That should guarantee us the #1 pick, and probably Bowles firing as HC.

7. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

i wouldn't mind that at all. i think powell should be the focus but with maguire is we don't know if he can pass protect or be a safety valve like forte can. I'm still on board with powell being the main back and forte spelling him while maguire learns the position. next year forte is gone and maguire will get his shot. I love the way he runs

8. NCJetsfan

When the purpose of this season is to develop young players and see who can help us (and how much) going forward, why wait until next season? RB is the easiest position for a rookie to come in and start, or play a lot immediately and play at a high level.

It doesn't matter one whit if "we" know whether he can pass protect. That's the CS's job, not ours. I think the safety valve question has already been answered. He has good hands and is a good receiver. If he misses a block or two, it's only McCown getting crunched instead of Petty or Hack. Better to play him now and let him learn and develop, so that by the time Petty or Hack plays, he will be able to pass protect.

9. Jonathan_Vilma

I'm thinking the idea behind McCown playing might be for the benefit of the receivers. The idea at least was similar to what Jacksonville wanted to do with Bortles. Let the young receivers (Lee, Hurns, Robinson) develop with the veteran quarterback so they're ready for the young quarterback when he gets here.

Jacksonville didn't last too long with Henne that year before Bortles came in. I don't think McCown will last past an 0-4 record.

This says a lot about what they think of Bryce Petty. It still makes no sense to play McCown deeper than a quarter of the season though especially if we keep losing.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

I agree, but they should've cut Forte or traded him for a 7th round pick. An owner hates to see money wasted on the bench which is why Forte is playing.

We saw McGuire get integrated into the offense and I expect to start to see more and more of him. Forte is also a great pass protector.

11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

The young receivers like Stewart and Hansen don't even see the field tho

12. NCJetsfan

Good point. Kersey and Kerley don't need developing. Stewart, Anderson and Hansen do. Bowles doesn't care. He's out there trying to win ball games with his veterans. I hope he and his veterans get buried.

13. 101GangGreen101

You're right on that, it's such a disappointment. Bowles has to go, he's not with the plan.

FJF and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  14. Jonathan_Vilma

That's a large issue that hopefully corrects itself moving forward. We need those players to develop just like Jacksonville's receivers progressed.

15. 101GangGreen101

Don't count on it unless someone else tells him otherwise. Bowles gonna wait until like WK7 or late in the yr to play them more, just like last year with Burris.

I've been hard on Mac, probably just as much as anyone here, but I am willing to give him a longer lease then Bowles. If he can convince and provide major input on the next HC, I think we may have a plan. Bowles has told me everything I needed to know.

16. Jonathan_Vilma

Yeah agreed. I think Maccagnan has been equally as bad as Bowles. But he can also right his wrongs with taking a top pick and signing semi-young offensive free agents to rebuild this offense.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  17. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Crabtree's catches on the day:
    -26 yard catch and run against Claiborne
    -Touchdown catch against Skrine
    -Touchdown catch against Burris
    -21 yard catch against Lee
    -4 yard catch on a pick play. Burris was the picked DB so not his responsibility.
    -Touchdown catch against Burris.

So he gave up 2 catches to Crabtree. The first touchdown was bad but the second one was just a good job by Carr/Crabtree.

But sure, giving up two catches all game is getting owned all day.

Claiborne played like ass though. Two big plays by Cooper, a pass interference in the endzone give up 17 yards, 26 yarder by Crabtree.

18. GasedAndConfused

that's the problem, I don't want to see all our QBs go down, especially over a RB. we have so many young inexperienced players on the field already. maguire having "light duty" for a year is fine. if anything it'll extend his career for when he can help us as a competing team instead of now when his efforts won't put a W on the board

19. Jonathan_Vilma

It definitely could. McGuire comes out of college with a loooot of mileage on his legs already. 840 touches (710 carries) at Louisiana-Lafayette. He proved that he can be the center piece of an offense at only 5'11", 208 pounds. He looks compact, quick and powerful.

Maybe, just maybe we have something here with him.

20. GasedAndConfused

giving up 2 TDs is bad enough but did you actually watch it? he looked lost against crabtree. claiborne did good. cooper had 2 small catches all game and he let up one to crabtree. WRs are gonna get catches unless your revis from 6 years ago.

this is what one writer wrote

It wasn't a good day for Juston Burris. He gave up a 26-yard touchdown to Michael Crabtree. He looked completely lost in coverage. In the fourth quarter, Crabtree beat him again for a touchdown on an out-route. Burris whiffed horribly on Cordarrelle Patterson's 43-yard touchdown run. It was bad.

Burris is a guy the Jets are high on. He's still a developmental project, though.