Morton

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Sep 17, 2017.

1. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I agree that Morton has been doing a very good job so far but let the man continue to develop as a first time OC before we promote him to HC. I rather we hire a more experienced offensive minded head coach, preferably with a WCO background, and retain Morton/Bates as our OC/QB coach combo for continuity.

MoWilkBeast and JetFanInPA like this.
  2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I mean the loss definitely wasn't on Morton. Should be interesting to see him with ASJ as he comes back from suspension. I like what he's doing, I just want to see a little bit more creativity in the play-call.

I am done with Bowles, just done. His scheme is shit, running a nickel having Davis and Lee hit the gaps in the middle, only to get eaten alive by the interior of the Raiders offensive line. That's not playing towards their strengths, you are simply forcing them to play a certain way and to me that can cause regression. Leonard Williams and Mo aren't being used to their best of their ability. These 2 guys are all pro level players and they are being ruined by Bowles.

Talk about shitty game-planning. I wish we hired Jim Schwartz as a DC

#22 101GangGreen101, Sep 18, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

for all the talks of we have the worst roster and our offense would be the worst in NFL history we arne't even worst in the NFL currently. the niners, giants, and texans are all below us. If you go by points per game there are 9 teams below us and we didn't get any on special teams or defense either

4. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Our offense was predicted to be not only the worst in football, but one of the historically bad offenses in recent history.

Instead we have surprisingly what appears to be a decent, NFL caliber offense which is in no way a laughingstock. Morton was brought in here as a relative unknown never calling plays before. He was very highly spoken of though by anybody who has crossed paths with him.

If you look at the "talent" he has to work with, from this offensive line to Josh McCown to not having a #1 or even a legit solid #2 receiver, to not having that big difference making TE (who knows maybe ASJ becomes one) or that elite back, Morton has done a terrific job getting the absolute most with what was handed to him (unlike Bowles)

We've played two good defenses and found ways to get find favorable matchups and exploit them while hiding our own weaknesses. He has had to incorporate 3 very new guys right away (Tye, Kerley, Kearse) which is not easy. I like how he began to incorporate Elijah McGuire on Sunday who was impressive when he touched the ball. Looking forward to seeing more of him. Even Forte looked pretty rejuvenated. The offensive line has not been the dumpster fire we predicted. That's the Giants you're thinking of...

It seems like he uses everybody too. Neal Sterling who has been on the team for 30 seconds caught a pass last Sunday. Overall 11 different Jets have caught a pass this year which is pretty good. Morton seems to know how to make the absolute best use of everything he's handed. I look forward to seeing what he can do when he gets better talent, or the talent he has now is coached up by him

5. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

I think Morton is horrendous. I was very surprised that he actually opened it up this week. I call him the drive killer. He likes to run for 1 yard on 1st down, then follow it up with another run for 1 yard on 2nd down. I can't stand the stupid bubble screens and runs up the middle on 3rd and long. This guy loves to call the wrong play. This week there was a few times we went deep, but 90% of the past two weeks I've been pulling my hair out with this playcalling.

6. twown

twown Well-Known Member

So we're all in agreement.

Bellows1 likes this.
  7. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

Being terrible is an upgrade. Life of a Jets fan.

8. ChrebetCrunch

ChrebetCrunch Well-Known Member

This really isn't a comment about Morton as much as it is a comment about any OC who is running a low skilled offense. Why not try more gadget plays or misdirection plays for no other reason than to keep the defense honest? How about just going deep and try to draw pass interference? Being predictable is bad. Being low skilled and predictable is worse.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

That's exactly what I was thinking. During the Raiders game there were times when it actually looked like an NFL offense. I don't think the defense ever looked like an NFL defense. Early days yet, as others have said, but at the moment the offense is the strength of this team. Just think about that for a moment.

10. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

No complaints so far. With this QB, and these mediocre receivers, the Jets look to be overachieving on offense so far.

OL has actually been pretty good as well. Shell/Carpenter/Winters make a pretty solid tandem so far. I thought McCown was actually making them look worse than they actually are.

11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

If we have to go FIRST TIMER HC again, why not Morton?

12. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Morton came from the Saints background. He's likely to continue the stable of RB's getting PT throughout the game.

13. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

The Jets O-line is still terrible.

The boring, predictable, bubble-screen offense that Morton has employed is designed to spread the defense out horizontally, because the O-line simply cannot give the QB time to spread them vertically, and the offensive talent simply cannot beat any NFL defense unless that defensive talent is spread all over the field.

Look at the Giants and the Seahawks so far this season-- they have infinitely more offensive talent at QB, RB, WR, and TE, and their O-lines are terrible, but are still better than what the Jets have-- yet, the Jets' O-line looks better to the eye test and on the stat sheet, and McCown is taking far fewer hits than Manning or Wilson, all because Morton has the sense to force the defense to defend every inch that the pathetic Jets can possibly attack, even if it's just shitty screens and runs up the middle for half a yard.

14. John

John Active Member

Wow! We might of hit a homerun with him.
    GREAT win today, loved being at the game was amazing
    2-2, with browns, lets take it one game at a time. Don't look forward to Pats yet. Lets get on the road and get the W
    Lets go jets!

15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I like Morton's play design and equally as important his play calling. No more 3rd and 2 5 wide receiver sets.

He's keeping the offense balanced and as I've said a couple times, using play design to get receivers open so that the receivers do not need to win their one on one matchups because they simply aren't good enough yet to do so.

I'm actually intrigued enough to the point where I might buy NFL rewind to watch the All-22 look and see what these route combinations look like.

16. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

Idk about the rest of you but in all these years that I've been on this board I have never seen such a divide ... so much hate for a team that is tied with NE with the same record 4 weeks into the season ... for a while there when they were breaking all those huge runs and took a 20 to 10 lead it might have been the most fun I've had watching a game since back when they beat NE in the playoffs ...

My wife is 38 weeks into her pregnancy and we thought she would go into labor cause of the chaos during the game :)

Forget the tank ! ok if this team had any sort of a resemblance to drafting winners I would be all for it but we all know we're not so why not live in the moment and enjoy this high ...

We all have seen guys taken in the later rounds turn out to be studs while so many top picks waste away ...

I for one love the fact that all these experts were so wrong in what they thought of this team ...

We have so many bright stars and its exciting ... oh and how sweet it is seeing the G men and their dog at 0 and 4

LAJet likes this.
  17. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Morton called a hell of a game yesterday, loving the balance ... seems to be improving by the week, want to see better RZ play calling tho.

18. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Very happy with the job Morton has done so far, although I'd like to see us try a few more screens considering the speed we have at WR and RB. I feel like no less than 5 times a week Gailey would leave you scratching your head. I haven't had that many moments with Morton at all. Has a great feel for the game and the roster he has to work with.

LogeSection2RowJ likes this.
  19. LV Coach

LV Coach Well-Known Member

Morton reintroduced the TE to the Jet offense. It's been needed for a long time. SJ is a force and gets a few yards after contact. Love it. Now to do the same thing next week and this time blow the Browns off the field. I can't take many of the OT games, when we had at least 3 chances in regulation to score. I put one negative on our HC for not calling a time out that cost us 5 yards and a missed FG.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yeah, Catanzaro's miss following our successful fake punt really hurt and could have cost us the game.