Petty: "I'm the #1 Qb"

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Sep 15, 2017.

1. egelband

egelband Well-Known Member

Is it possible that Bowles is thinking: let the pass defense scheme set in and solidify before installing either of the kids at QB. I mean, maybe hes thinking the OL will get better as the season goes along. Then he'll put a kid back behind center. Is that possible? Reasonable?

NCJetsfan and mezzavo like this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well what it really shows is that an average QB can look good when you have a good supporting cast and coaching. Since the Jets have a GM who is (at best) learning on the job and hasn't really piled up the talent, and a HC who is clueless, even if we had Namath we'd suck ass.

Despite that, I still want them to get the #1 pick and draft the best QB available, and have a new HC.

3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The Broncos fired McDaniels after less than 2 years. Does that give you any idea how much better they are as a franchise than the Jets?

Take all the patience in the world and shove it up Woody's ass.

4. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Fire Turd already, Petty should be playing not a 38 yr old journeyman on a young rebuilding team, what a fuckin' dope!

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

I do not think this is the case. That would mean TB had a plan...and none of this looks like any kind of well thought out plan.:p

6. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Because there was still time to get four TD's and a two-point conversion to tie the game lolz

I do agree, at that point it should have been Petty for junktime but stubborn is as stubborn does. Of course it would have been so Jet-like for Petty to get hurt IN junktime.

NY Jets68 and BomberJet like this.
  7. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

Screw giving Petty reps. McCown played well today. Lucas and Weshoff were insulted they thought it was so absurd some fan mentioned that on the post game. Cut the nonsense always looking to replace the current guy no matter how he plays. McCown is their QB this year.

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I wouldn't have put Petty into a game like that. The defense had their ears pinned back and were in complete pass rushing mode with the reigning pass rushing DPOY on their defensive line.

Petty also takes shots. He would've gotten killed. Give him a fresh game. It would've reminded me when we threw him in there against the Colts in prime time last year.

9. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

What are they giving Petty a fresh game for? McCown played well, he plays like this there is no reason to replace him. Jets have the crappy year we all expect and they are drafting their new QB.

10. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Well, we need to find out what Petty can do. The potential is there for him to be at least a very capable backup to whomever the Jets decide to put in as their #1, be it Hack or the pending 2018 draft. We already know what McCown is and it's just down right utter boredom and ennui to watch this team get beat soundly by anyone they play. Their defense has been a big disappointment - just very hard watching this team.

11. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

I'd not start Petty for fear of catching lightning in a bottle and winning some games

However I think it's very prudent to put Petty in for ALL garbage time (for jets that will be 3rd quarter) to get reps and make plays.

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Anything's possible. Kudos to you for trying to find some logical reason for Bowles' actions, but I don't think there is any logic (or intelligence) behind Bowles' moves. I think he's stupid, in over his head, knows it, and is just scared and coaching for his job. It's as Cman said, that means playing the veterans, not young players.

13. NCJetsfan

I would be shocked beyond belief if Bowles and Mac really are intentionally tanking this year. If so, then I totally agree that starting Petty could very well lead to several wins. Their tank job will be better served by starting McCown.

I love the idea of playing Petty in garbage time in terms of getting him experience, but I would fear for his life, as late in games when the Jets have no chance of winning, the effort by players would probably be sadly lacking. The OL probably wouldn't pass block very well, and Petty would have a very difficult time even staying upright and healthy, much less showing anything.

If I didn't want the #1 or #2 pick so badly, I'd hope that McCown goes down with injury within the next week or two, Petty starts and leads the team to wins each of the next 3 weeks. It would show what a clueless moron Bowles is and had Petty started the season, the team could be sitting 1-1 at this point, or at 4-1 following those three games. That should help even Woody to see that Bowles needs to go.

With the way our D is playing, the team cannot play conservatively and have any hope of winning. It's no longer a matter of the D getting tired and giving up scores because of the ineffectiveness of the offense. It's that the D sucks, and the only chance the Jets have to win any games is by turning Petty loose, and hopefully outscoring the other team. Thankfully, Bowles won't do that, and the team will continue to lose.

My only fear (certainty really) is that Bowles will be back next year and it will all be for naught.

14. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Wrong

15. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

If the Dolphins blow the Jets out at home then it's time for the billboards to go up.

WOODY JOHNSON
    FIRE TODD BOWLES
    OR SELL THE JETS

PulseJet likes this.
  16. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I'm sorry but this is absolute bullshit. The fact of the matter is we don't know fuck all what Petty can really do in the NFL, unless you base it on a hand full of games under incompetent coaching, decimated OL, and complete lack of preparation because the idiots in charge did not see the need for Petty to practice with the first. Team.
    Under your premise you would dismiss half of the best QBs currently on the top list.

PulseJet, nicg4360, Ralebird and 4 others like this.
  17. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Ok

18. dman928

dman928 Well-Known Member

Fixed that for you.

19. I don't think he knows he's in over his head.quite the contrary..seems he thinks he can continue to try & outsmart people when in the end he ends up outsmarting himself. Look at his defensive schemes.Who runs a 3-4 scheme where the DL 1 gap in front of an undersized lb corps ill fitted for a 2 gap 34 much less one where they get no protection??

He wants his cake & eat it too. He wants to be a run first D w top end athletes who can also fit his hybrid based pass coverage.Darron Lee is the poster boy for this notion & that's a very bad indictment. Still,I think he still believes in his philosophy no matter how idiotic it seems bc he can fall back on the devoid roster as his excuse..

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

You could be right, but I think his posture and lack of answers has to show that he knows he's in over his head. He's whipped. He has no answers. If some posters are right that Bowles really wanted Lee, then Bowles can't blame Mac or there being no talent on the roster. Most of the top picks over the last 10 years have gone to the D. There are ZERO excuses for the D not playing better.

As for his D, that's the system that he knows and believes in and has worked for him in the past. He may not have any confidence in or be capable of devising schemes in any other alignment.