Mike M. has to go

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jets12, Sep 2, 2017.

1. IdziksGhost

IdziksGhost New Member

This is a technicality, the Jets offered the job to Bowles before they offered the job to Mac. The actual transactions happened in the opposite order, but the Jets locked up Bowles because they were afraid he was going to take another job once it was rumored that Quinn agreed to join the Falcons.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

They were hired the same day within a few hours of each other. IMO it doesn't matter which was hired first. Mac only got a chance to meet Bowles for a short time and say whether he thought he could work with him. That's a far cry from being hired earlier and conducting the search himself, and Bowles being his pick. In fact, I think that Woody's mind was already made up to hire Bowles, and if Mac had objected or said he couldn't work with Bowles, he probably wouldn't have gotten the job.

3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

so idzic didn't bring prior to rex to keep favor with the guy that survived a gm firing? if you beleive the stories, idzic didn't even have the authority to revamp the scouting dept let alone free rein over personnel. mac was able to come in and get rid of bradway,clinkscale and all the hold overs hanging around since herm was here. mac has much more clout then idzic ever had. and yet the same drafting record through 2 years.

my biggest question aboout mac is, why did we go into such a mediocre franchise to pluck a "talent evaluator" ? what texans draft made us say, we have to get in on what they are doing?

4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Blame/credit the advisors Woody hired. But they should've advised him to hire one of them - or someone like them - as the Pres. of Football Ops to oversee Macc since he was brand new to the job and responsibilities, and that's why Woody sucks.

#204 ColoradoContrails, Sep 16, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

I still can't believe with a team so desperately in need of a wide receiver, Idzik takes a project safety. Brandin Cooks to NO - then NE.

Geno Smith - Jets fans screaming NO NO NO. He's a moron. Gimmick QB. Can't read defenses. Can barely work under center. No pocket presence. And they draft Geno

Normally they say..."If you listen to the fans you'll find yourself sitting with them"

And for the most part that's correct

EXCEPT with Jets fans. If it's the NFL draft and you're the GM. LISTEN TO JETS FANS. When we want Sapp. DRAFT SAPP.

6. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

Nepotism. Casserly made sure to recommend/likely sold Ron Wolf on his buddy that had worked under him in Houston.

7. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Before Idzik was hired, I believe Woody had the condition that new GM must be willing to accept Rex. For the current staff, Bowles and Mac joined Jets almost at the same time. There's no way Mac had the chance to interview multiple candidates for HC. With two regimes in a row, is it possible that Woody no longer believes GM should be hiring his own coach?

I'm trying to remember the Rex hire. Was Tanny very involved with that or did Woody force Rex on him? I am drawing a blank on the circumstances leading to Rex joining Jets.

8. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Those guys didn't do us any favors did they... Biggest case for hiring and implementing a VP of Football Ops. The Casserlys and Wolfs can fade away into football obscurity.

9. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I believe Casserly vouched for him as he worked with and for Casserly.

10. ChrebetCrunch

ChrebetCrunch Well-Known Member

If we fire Macc, it shows that we didn't learn from our mistakes. Idzik created a ton of cap space only for another GM to come in and blow it on bad contracts. Macc created a ton of cap space and should be given the opportunity to work with the space he created. Yes, I understand that Macc also created part of the mess that we are in, but we can't keep firing GMs after three years. If Macc can hire a HC that adapts to the players on the field instead of making the players adapt to the system, we have enough of a base to build from. Enough of playing people out of position. I can't understand for the life of my why we played Sheldon Richardson at LB.

11. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I don't trust Mac's ability to bring in his own coach, let alone is own franchise QB. For that reason, I don't want him here.

Jets could be sitting on a pick that could really shape the future of this team. Too important for a GM that has only proven to be average.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

12. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I really like Adams and Maye.

There was never a point where I could say that about two Idzik picks. .....Still, not exactly a ringing endorsement of a GM in year 3 is it?

13. We get too caught up in the chain of command wherein who hires who..who answers to who,etc Every organization is different & there really is no one set "right" way.

That said I'm tired of our front office essentially acting as a completely separate entity from the coaching staff .It just seems like since the Tanny/Rex falling out the football operation hasn't been on the same page & for that I blame woody.

There's no singular mind or voice.they either lack leadership or something is stopping the leaders from stepping up

A culture change & a true identity has been desperately needed since at least 2012 if not longer.That burden seems to be placed solely on the coach & that just doesn't seem right. The front office can be just as involved in building a team w an identity,promoting team unity, & just all around giving the team shield a purpose.

Instead we continue to have ill fitted teams that skillset do not compliment eachother,ill fitted schemes & players who either don't care or don't know what WINNING jets football looks like or means.

Some organizations find this from longstanding ownership.Does our ownership even know how many downs there are? This will not change. 15+ years of ownership &I Woody hasn't learned a damn thing about football.Im convinced the only thing that changes this is a president of football operations w the personality to be a singular voice & leader

14. NCJetsfan

I totally understand your perspective, and agree with it more than I'd like, but do you really think a rookie GM who has only had 2-3 months on the job would be any better? The only way I could feel confident that it would be better is if Woody hired John Dorsey as the next GM. If he hired another first-time GM, who really didn't have time to prepare, then imo we could not realistically expect things to be any better than with Mac. Perhaps we'd have more hope that the right picks/moves would be made, but I fear like most times that we have hope for change and improvement, they will on be dashed on the rocks of the Jets' shipwreck.

15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I actually trust mac to make the right call wuth the top pick in the draft, i think it will be a no brained of a pick.
    The other 7 picks though? I'd rather have someone else pulling the trigger there

legler82 likes this.
  16. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

Shell looks like a good pick. Beachum looks like a good pick up. Wesley Johnson looks solid (did Mac bring him in?). Adams and Maye look good. The Sheldon Richardson trade was great.

Look, Mac isn't perfect. No GM is. And it's hard to pick QBs. Elway probably missed on Paxton Lynch. And he definitely missed on Brock osweiler. But I think Mac has done a decent job at finding role players, and some potentially building block draft picks. It's just too early to dump him imo.

17. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I agree that generally speaking Macc has probably done a better job at his job compared to Bowles but I don't think its enough. His draft record is meh, his free agency record is also suspect. I don't know if I can trust him with that much cap space, a top 3-5 pick, etc.

18. His actions don't justify a return & since he's Mr top secret about everything since the Fitz contract disaster We fans have no idea if he actually has a vision or plan. We're left to judge solely on the body of work which is not very good

19. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

True. My fear is that both were given a vote of confidence before this whole rebuild thing so they would know they can go ahead and tank without being fired. I personally don't see how either of them could be back if they go 2-14 or 1-15 but stranger things have happened.

20. NCJetsfan

I disagree with your point that we get too caught up in the chain of command. I think that a situation where the HC and GM are peers only works if the owner is very knowledgeable, or there is a team President who is a quality, experienced, football man who has the requisite knowledge to supervise both, set the identity and culture and keep both on task.

In most situations, I think there should be a chain of command owner - Team President of Football Ops. - GM - HC.

We TOTALLY agree that Woody is the source of the team's problems, and that things will never get better unless Woody sells the team or hires a President of Football Operations, and then steps back, quits meddling and lets that man do his job.

A far as the HC/GM relationship, look at what we've had. Tanny was not qualified to be a GM. He was an accountant and attorney. He had zero experience in scouting and personnel. Mangini had a very good eye for talent and vision for the type of team he wanted. Tanny worked with him and it worked until Mangini's personality sabotaged it all.

Tanny pretty much gave Rex what he wanted as well, in fact even going so far as allowing Rex to make a pick in every draft. Rex had a vision for the team as well, but had no clue how to implement his vision. He was all bluster, style, but little substance in terms of building a consistent winner. His own lack of discipline (among other things) as well as not holding players accountable, and the lack of leadership on his part caused that to fail.

Idzik had a vision, but was too cautious, hesitant and slow-moving to be effective. He had little scouting and personnel experience. He was an administrator. He may have been better as head of football operations than he was at GM (it would have been hard for him to be any worse).

In spite of what you and some other posters have said, I think that Mac has a vision or plan for the team. That plan is to build the team primarily through the draft with the best players he can find at each position (BPA), players of high character and who have high motors. As we've seen the problem with his plan is that he hasn't kept a balanced perspective, and perhaps doesn't know how to go about it or when the best time is to get certain positions. He seems to have continued the modus operandi of trying to give the HC and D everything he wants, has basically ignored the offense and STs, and he has focused on BPA to the point of ignoring need. I think his basic plan is right, like that he revamped our Scouting and Personnel Depts., but then due to his naiveté or lack of experience, he hasn't gone about implementing it in the right ways or made the best decisions.

I think that he seems to have three major flaws which are revealed in his handling of the OL.

One, is his establishment of priorities for the team. Strengthening the OL should have been an immediate priority for Mac when he was hired as GM. Brick's play was deteriorating pretty badly and he was 30. Nick Mangold's level of play was also starting to tail off, he was 31 and his play, if not his health, was likely to start becoming more questionable. If nothing else, Mac should have looked to secure their replacements. Breno Giacomini was the RT and was mediocre at best. 32 year-old penalty machine Willie Colon was the RG. Winters was LG and looked awful. I agree with Mac that a very good OL can be built using mid and lower round picks at some of the spots, but he takes that view waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too far. He drafted Jarvis Harrison in the 5th round of the 2015 draft and Shell in the 5th round of the 2016 draft. He did try to sign Mike Iupati and Orlando Franklin (2 of the top-3 rated FA OGs at that time), but both wanted to stay out west (or not play for the Jets), and signed Carpenter. He then tried to trade up in last year's draft for Laremy Tunsil, but failed. He did sign Kelvin Beachum, but so far at least, his play has been only decent, if that. As the old saying goes, "The road to hell is paved with good intentions." He may have intended to do more to fix the OL, but failed, and that, along with finding a FQB should have been his top two priorities.

Two, I think the other big problem is that he isn't able to look at the long-term picture, and can only see things on a year-by-year basis. I believe that teams in the NFL have a pretty good idea of how future drafts are going to look. Of course some players rise and some fall during a season or two, players get injured, have off field issues, and things change, but overall, I think they have a pretty good perspective of whether a draft will be strong or weak in a certain position group. Neither the 2015, nor the 2017 draft were even good, much less great drafts for LTs. There were a few players with potential in each of those drafts, but by far, the 2016 draft was the best draft in which to take OT prospects.

The main reason I think that is his failure to draft an OT prospect better than Shell in the 2016 draft. I think that Shell, at best, is a backup. Giacomini's RT position needed to be upgraded. Brick had just retired on April 8. Ijalana was only an average starter and probably more of a depth-type player. The NFL draft began on April 28. Mac scrambled to find Clady. He knew Clady had never recovered his level of play following his injuries, and that Clady was almost 30. It was not likely that Clady would return to his previous level of play, and Mac could look at the potential LT FAs for 2017 and the 2017 draft prospects and figure out that he wasn't like to be able to fix or upgrade that critical position in either FA or the draft in 2017. That should have had him doing whatever possible to draft his future LT in 2016 or at least upgrade the RT position. It might not have been the ideal or prototypical LT prospect that Mac had in mind, but there were a number of very good LT prospects in the 2016 NFL draft.

Laremy Tunsil - Dolphins' starting LT
    Ronnie Stanley - Ravens' starting LT
    Jack Conklin - Titans' starting RT
    Le-Raven Clark - Colts' backup LT
    Jason Spriggs - Packers' backup LT

Shon Coleman was a good RT prospect, and is the Browns starting RT.

Even with the 2015 and 2017 drafts not being very good for OT prospects, there were a few pretty good prospects in each draft.

D.J. Humphries - starting LT for the Cardinals
    Jake Fisher - starting RT for the Bengals
    T.J. Clemmings - drafted by Vikings, now 3rd string with the Redskins
    Cedric Ogbuehi - starting LT for the Bengals
    Donovan Smith - starting LT for the Bucs

Ryan Ramczyk - backup LT for the Saints
    Garrett Bolles - starting LT for the Broncos
    Cam Robinson - starting LT for the Jaguars
    Antonio Garcia - 3rd string OT for Patriots
    Julie'n Davenport - 3rd string LT for Texans
    Roderick Johnson - on Browns IR

Three, in the first couple of rounds he obsesses over BPA and neglects need (with the exception of Hack). This is pretty self-explanatory. He took Williams when we already had Mo and Richardson. He took back-to-back safeties in the 2017 draft.