Potential General Manager candidate thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

If you're going to whine about this being a thread, let's make it easy on everyone and don't post here.

This is a hypothetical situation if we so choose to get rid of the legendary Mike Maccagnan.

I've seen enough. We'll exclude this draft since we have to wait and see but he still took two friggain safeties on a team with the most holes in the NFL. He botched $70 million in cap space in 2015 to the point where we have one OK guard left on the roster from it and one god awful overpaid corner.

He's drafted one GOOD player in three years in Leonard Williams and absolutely wasted two second round picks so far. We have two rotational players left from those drafts in Jordan Jenkins and Juston Burris. Oh and traded up a future 4th for Brandon Shell who looks meh.

I'll also add that in a perfect world we hire a President of Football Operations and let him run the entire show all the way down the organizational chart. We want someone with experience obviously if we don't go that route and just hire a general manager.

But we are the Jets, and good quality experienced general managers aren't just sitting around out there. If there were any available they would have had a job by now.

Potential Candidates

Nick Caserio, director of player personnel for the Patriots since 2008 could be a good pick for general manager.

George Paton, assistant general manager for the Minnesota Vikings since 2012 (ten years within the organization has helped first hand build a deep roster.

Scott Pioli, assistant general manager for the Atlanta Falcons since 2014. Chiefs general manager from 2009-2012, and director of player personnel for the Patriots from 2001-2008 (3 Super Bowls).

With the Chiefs he had a horrible 2009 draft (first year in the role). Afterwards he drafted the following.
    1 S Eric Berry (pro bowler)
    2 WR/KR Dexter McCluster
    3 OL Jon Asomoah (3 year starter)
    5 S Kendrick Lewis (4 year starter)

2 G/C Rodney Hudson (pro bowler)
    3 OLB Justin Houston (all-pro)
    3 DE Allen Bailey (4 year starter)

1 NT Dontari Poe (pro bowler)
    2 OL Jeff Allen (4 year starter cut short injury)
    3 OL Dwight Stephenson (fringe starter)

Elliot Wolf, has served various roles in player personnel with the Packers since 2004. Current director of football operations

John Dorsey, starter as a scout with the Packers in 1996 and floated around with Mike Holmgren in the Packers & Seahawks organizations since then. Architect of the current Chiefs team as general manager from 2013-2016.

Dorsey seems like the best of both worlds type of deal. But the article I posted below makes it seem like he was egotistical in retaining his own draft picks for better or worse for the team.

Joey Clinkscales, assistant general manager to Reggie McKenzie in Oakland since 2012. He was our National Scout in 2002, director of college scouting in 2006 (Brick/Mangold's draft year), and Vice President of college scouting in 2007.

Scott Fitterer, co-director of player personnel with the Seahawks. He was promoted from the director of college scouting last year. Can't find too much information about him, but he has been a candidate for the Eagles job in 2015, and the Chiefs job this past year. He seems to be given a lot of credit for these players in particular; Kam Chancellor, Russell Okung and Earl Thomas. Seattle East part II (for real this time?!).

Trent Kirchner, co-director of player personnel with the Seahawks. Same deal as Fitterer. Not a lot of information listed although he did interview with us the same year as Maccagnan and was said to be the polar opposite of Idzik in terms of their roles in the organization. Heavy scouting background.

Chris Grier, general manager with the Miami Dolphins. An NFL.com article alluded to him being able to be lured away by given full control of a situation as he lacks full say (I guess Tannenbaum has final say?). Former national scout/assistant director of college scouting and still listed as the director of college scouting. Miami has drafted well on the offensive side of the ball as of late (Jarvis Landry, Laremy Tunsil, Jay Ajayi, Devante Parker, etc.)

#1 Jonathan_Vilma, Sep 17, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
    boozer32 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  2. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Dorsey has done pretty well in Kansas City. They're a fun team to watch.

3. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Dorsey is my #1 target. I feel like he'd also hire the best coach on the market as well as build a deep roster.

Caserio is unlikely, Paton would be another first time GM and I feel like we only need one first timer at our leadership positions unless they're overseen by a President of Football Operations with years of experience.

boozer32 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  4. Pioli is the one Parcells/Bellicheat tree candidate I'd consider bc he has experience,credibility & is familiar w the organization;He's another guy I'd consider for the president of football operations role.

I'm also high on John Dorsey given his track record drafting offensive talent

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timeinc.net/si/mmqb/2017/06/29/kansas-city-chiefs-john-dorsey-fired-nfl-notebook?source=dam

Dorsey seems to be an excellent talent evaluator, but a so-so general manager. It doesn't appear that he has a good grasp on free agency/contracts. Extending two average offensive lineman in Eric Fisher and Duvernay-Tardiff when they were still under team control with team options for another year are red flags to me.

They were also struggling with cap hell type of problems that lead to the departure of Dontari Poe and they almost lost Justin Houston too.

But the draft history under him is masterful. The man knows the draft. Just some food for thought. I almost don't care about the egotistical nonsense if the guy can throw us two or three quality drafts.

#5 Jonathan_Vilma, Sep 17, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
    boozer32 likes this.
  6. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

Give $15 million/yr to Nick Saban to be the GM and coach.

7. ChrebetCrunch

ChrebetCrunch Well-Known Member

Macc isn't going anywhere. This rebuild was approved by Johnson. A GM fighting for his job doesn't release David Harris at the 11th hour.

JetBlue and Dom like this.
  8. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

The thing is I have seen a leveling, but no rebuild actually happening.

A rebuild would imply bringing in young talent, letting them play and develop.

rohirrim665, Dom, FJF and 1 other person like this.
  9. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

You haven't seen a rebuild actually happening because you have a HC coaching for a contract extension. The two things work towards opposite ends. Macc should have factored that into his plan.

10. ChrebetCrunch

Macc is either the most forward thinking GM in the history, or a Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde GM who makes fantastic moves, and then follows them up with equally bad moves. I am giving him the benefit of the doubt and say that he has a plan for 2018. We have never been in a situation where we have so much cap room AND a top 1-2 pick in the draft.

Bowles was handed to Macc. I want to see what Macc can do when he gets to pick his HC, and make decisions without Woody prodding.

blackssmagic, Leicester Jet and LAJet like this.
  11. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

we aren't hiring a new GM

just sucks you spent so much time on a seemingly pointless thread

edit: i just read the first sentence of your post and apologize for whining

#11 Dom, Sep 18, 2017
    MJK likes this.
  12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

If we go 0-16 woody has to sweep that whole stench out. No one keeps a job

13. Jonathan_Vilma

Sabah has an empire built at Alabama and will likely one day have a statue for himself there. He probably doesn't even have to work that hard to recruit anymore because of what he's created. A control freak like him needs to be in a position to yell at his players and control them. That doesn't happen in the NFL anymore.

I'd give Eric DeCosta a blank check and let him write his number on it. But he seems hell bent on staying in Baltimore and taking over for Ozzie Newsome in Baltimore.

If we saw some of his drafted players show some sign of development then maybe you'd be right. The only two players that seems to have progressed is Brandon Shell and Jordan Jenkins and Jenkins is still apart of an awful front 7 and isn't putting much pressure on the quarterback.

I don't foresee Maccagnan staying around after his double dip on safeties with so many holes on this team.

Not wasted time though. Regardless if he stays or not I like researching and talking football and more importantly looking into the potential future of this team.

Maybe what we could do is vote on our first round picks and relinquish control to the fans. ;)

14. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

He has been the guy to get for quite a few years, but it would take a lot to get him. Woody needs to make Nick his pick.

15. Do we really wanna go w the New England/Parcells model yet again? Can't build our own identity for once?

16. ChrebetCrunch

Two of those holes were FS and SS. It's early, but we are seeing some good play from the duo.

17. Jonathan_Vilma

He was the director of pro personnel from 2004-2006 and has been the director of player personnel since 2008.

He also comes from the school of thought to continually trade down and take as many players as possible because you're going to miss on some of them. At least I'd assume he subscribes to this as that's what they do.

2017 - 2 third rounders
    2016 - 3 third rounders, 3 sixth rounders
    2015 - 3 fourth rounders, 2 sixth rounders, 2 seventh rounders
    2014 - 3 fourth rounders, 3 sixth rounders
    2013 - 2 second rounders, 2 third rounders, 2 seventh rounders
    2012 - 2 first rounders, 2 seventh rounders
    2011 - 2 second rounders, 2 third rounders, 2 fifth rounders
    2010 - 2 first rounders, 2 second rounders, 4 seventh rounders
    2009 - 4 second rounders, 2 third rounders, 2 sixth rounders, 2 seventh rounders
    2008 - 2 third rounders

It keeps going but you get the point. It's also the reason why they never have a bad special teams unit. Belichick and company aren't master drafters. But they recognize that it's a crapshoot so they hedge their bet.

Look at the contributors they consistently get.

Oh and their entire offensive line is home grown. Solder (first round, 2011), Joe Thuney (third round, 2016), David Andrews (UDFA, 2015), Shaquille Mason (fourth round, 2015), Marcus Cannon (fifth round, 2011).

2010 for example they grabbed Devin McCourty, Rob Gronkowski, Brandon Spikes and Aaron Hernandez.

2011 they took Nate Solder, Shane Vereen, Stevan Ridley and Marcus Cannon.

2012 they grabbed Chandler Jones, Dont'a Hightower, Tavon Wilson and Alfonzo
    Dennard.

they took Jamie Collins, Aaron Dobson, Duron Harmon and Logan Ryan.

An absolute CLINIC in how to run circles around the rest of the NFL in the draft.

#17 Jonathan_Vilma, Sep 18, 2017
  18. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

But what if everyone agreed going 0-16 is best for business?? So it is unlikely we let Mac go I see no issues with the thread. I am numb to all Jets stuff this season.

We at least know we will suck badly. Just do it for a greater cause.

19. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

Macc has had his up and downs it hasn't been perfect but I think he's one of the more competent GMs this team has had. This year he intentionally did not put together a competitive roster, so let's not act like the offseason moves killed the Jets in some kind of unanticipated way. So far Brandon Marshall, Eric Decker, Ryan Fitzpatrick, David Harris, Revis, and Nick Mangold have not done a thing and they were costing vet money.

His draft picks have been questionable at best, but he gets the talent needed to put together a team. He brought Brandon Marshall in here to combine with Decker which led to a WR duo we hadn't seen in ages. The Jets offense looked great for once in 2015. He brought in big FA defense names which ultimately did not pan out, but he understands how to put together a team.

He has been better than most when trading for picks and trading away players. He's not a bimbo like Mike T. who would have kept Revis here for $12mil/year or a complete trainwreck like John Idzik. Having a young inexperienced roster is part of the plan so when we get blown out, it's not as if this proves Macc is a bad GM.

Macc's biggest mistake has been taking Christian Hackenberg in the 2nd round. He reportedly panicked but at least it was for a QB. He gets the importance of QB and was willing to reach for a guy who he felt good about. He's not perfect or even great, but we're rebuilding and it isn't time for a change. Head coach is a whole other topic.

20. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Macc is a mixed bag thus far. I'm on the fence as to whether or not he should return.

However it looks like he was right on Marshall, Harris, Decker, and Mangold.

Harris and Mangold are finished. Marshall looks finished. Decker is still an NFL player but one in decline who's just a middling dime a dozen receiver.