Josh Rosen 2017 Games Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Sep 2, 2017.

1. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Not liking this particular highlight video cause it doesnt show the picks....will update this post when the channel I usually get the videos from posts Rosens tape.

#161 grkmanga31, Sep 17, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  2. grkmanga31

Hero ball...stupid mistakes

legler82 likes this.
  3. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

I really think this is the guy. Everything from his talent, intelligence, demeanor. I think he fits New York, he's a Jew with enough attitude to identify as an atheist for Christ's sake.

NYJFOREVER and ColoradoContrails like this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

From POV I like that he stood up and owned what he did, and further, he KNOWS what he did wrong. And despite losing, and knowing he was a big part of that, he wasn't crushed. I think he's a winner.

5. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Cool under pressure, attacks the middle of the field (a la Brady) like no one else, has that "x" factor that allows him to calmly react to an unblocked, in-his-face blitz with a brilliant, athletic, improvised jump pass perfectly threaded over coverage....this while engineering a game-tying drive down 3 with 38 seconds to go on his own 35 yard line Saturday night.

Unfazed, ice water in his veins. Winner.

No doubt who the best QB in college football is. Josh Rosen? No doubt he throws a real nice ball (so did Sam Bradford at Oklahoma).

Josh Rosen is not Sam Darnold.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

@joe We have a thread for Sam Darnold that has not been bumped yet today. That's where your post belongs. :)

7. grkmanga31

He doesn't seem overly bothered by the picks but he acknowledges them and I think that's good because you don't want your QB to beat himself up. Can't get stuck on the mistakes, just have to improve on them. I'm hoping as the CFB season goes on, he gets better under pressure and stops throwing stupid picks.

8. joe

joe Well-Known Member

You're right B. . I'm just scratching my head with all the Josh-love even after looking at the apples-to-apples comparison of how the two (Rosen and Darnold) handled themselves under pressure in crunch time this past weekend.

I'm sorry I ruined your 'Josh Rosen' party.. :)

[​IMG]

9. grkmanga31

The disparity comes from two main things, mechanics, and also team talent surrounding each respective QB. Rosen wins in department #1, and USC is much better than UCLA. Now, does that mean I would be pissed if Jets went with Darnold, absolutely not. I happen to like both a lot, and would be happy with either or. I just hope Jets end up with up with one or the other.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

From Josh Freshman to Josh Jr, so far he hasn't completely learned this lesson in terms of playing under pressure. He needs to understand the fact that he can "live another down" ... a lot of his mistakes, 2nd down, 3rd down in 4 down territory; trying to press too much. Needs to learn to check-down as well. I think that's a huge part of his game that is missing, "touchdown or checkdown" mentality.

grkmanga31 likes this.
  11. grkmanga31

Yep, right now, if I had to pick between the two I would go Darnold over Rosen. They're both very good but as the CFB season goes on, I need to see improvement in the pressure area from Rosen. He needs to learn to live to play another down. He knows its a problem, now we have to see if he does anything to fix it.

12. 101GangGreen101

Yeah Darnold is far better at improvising and extending the play. I would take Darnold over Rosen at this stage. If you can't live to play another down, he will remind others of another QB named Mark Sanchez that did the same thing.

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's not a Josh Rosen party I'm thinking about, just having things in their appropriate place. You should put negative comments about Rosen here and positive comments about Darnold in the right thread. :)

That way we avoid one of these threads turning into a Sanchez thread while all the others wind up barely scrolling.

On topic: be really careful about evaluating how QB's play with different talent sets around them. Nobody argues that UCLA is as talented as USC. It's important to take that context into account.

hwismer likes this.
  14. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

They both don't know the meaning of live to play another down. There is a good amount of tape of Darnold of forcing throws and making questionable decisions in crucial situations. Darnold tends to come out on the right side of those plays more often than not because he is just better at hero ball. I actually believe coaches will have a better chance of suppressing that aspect of Rosen's game than they will Darnold. Rosen gets in that mode many times when he is behind trying to rally his team. Darnold would perform a jump pass under duress in the pocket up 30 in the first half just as easily as he would in a crucial 4th down play in overtime. It is an embedded part of his game.

#174 legler82, Sep 19, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    ColoradoContrails and grkmanga31 like this.
  15. grkmanga31

I agree. There is plenty of tape where both of them play Hero ball. As you said, Rosen does it when he's down and trying to rally his team back while Darnold just does it because that's part of his game. I liken Rosen to Matt Ryan and Darnold to have a bit of big ben/farve in him. I've seen him make a bunch of throws down the field when underneath options that are open were available. I think both of them can be really good but I just want to see that transformation from Rosen where he understands that there are more downs to play, no need to push the ball when there's nothing there.

Darnold can take the hits, and seems to evade pressure a lot better due to his increased mobility, Rosen is more of a pocket passer, that if needed, will run to gain a few yards . I'll be happy with either or.

16. 101GangGreen101

I agree, but the only thing is Rosen is doing the same things he was doing his freshman year. Still like Rosen, but I don't see much improvement in decision making under the major pressure. Perhaps talent around him can help overcome that. Needs to check down more often.

At this point, we are just nitpicking Rosen to an extent, but it's something to think about.

17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I think you're right. Looking at these guys with a magnifying glass is part of the process, but there's also the "Forest for the trees" syndrome. I just have a gut feeling that Rosen is the right fit for the Jets, and that whatever shortcomings he has, he'll overcome them. I'm not saying Darnold wouldn't be good for them either, BUT he is a USC QB, and he's surrounded with much better talent than Rosen so it's harder to really tell how much of his success is because of that.

18. 101GangGreen101

I'm in full agreement with you dude for sure. UCLA doesn't have a great team, and you have to account for the talent around the player. That has to count for something when you evaluate a qb. Rosen plain and simple has a special skillset, that skill set is the ability to make those around you better. Wherever it's protections or just saying, "hey receiver cut your route here so I can get you the ball"

I don't know if Darnold really has that skillset. People talk about oh Darnold came in and revived the program, but the previous q.b that was on USC, Max Browne SUCKS. He plays over in Pitt now. How much do you take that into account?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

From what I've seen of Rosen so far, I think he could be the guy, but he's not someone I'd want the Jets to draft and plug and play on day 1. I'd personally have a veteran on the roster to play as much as one season before handing control to Rosen. He's got a ton of impressive qualities, but he makes some terrible decisions. The Jets need to build the offense up and put Rosen (or whomever they draft) in a position to succeed, something they've failed to do for every QB they've drafted in recent memory.

EDIT: If we could somehow entice Drew Brees here on a short contract, he'd be an awesome mentor for Rosen. That said, unless Sean Payton is the Jets coach next year, I doubt Brees comes here as he'll likely want to finish his career with a contender ala Peyton Manning.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Its too late for Brees to play here anyway. His arm is worse than Pennington's arm now.