Darn old et. al Question...

Discussion in 'Draft' started by mezzavo, Sep 17, 2017.

1. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Are any of these supposed "top" QB prospects seniors??? I ask because I have heard rumors that a couple of these guys are hinting at going back to school for the 2018 season. Of course, considering it is the Jets, if I were one of these QB prospects and I saw the Jets at 1 or 2...yeah, I would go back to school to avoid that mess...all the way.

Just look at the way we are handling our CURRENT young guys. What a pooch screw!

2. mezzavo

Damn...can someone fix that thread title...stupid Spell check!!!

3. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

A topic so incredible it needs two threads to discuss it. Becuse next year's 2-14 number one picking team is going to be a venerable Super Bowl franchise to hold out for.

Jets69 and Dierking like this.
  4. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I heard reports that both Darnold and Rosen were considering staying in school til the SB champs have the first pick.

Jets69 and JetBlue like this.
  5. JetLion77

JetLion77 New Member

Top QB Prospects according to CBS Sports (school and prospect position number in parentheses):

Sophomores: Sam Darnold (USC, 1) , Jarrett Stidham (Auburn, 10), Deondre Francois (Fla. State, 11).
    Juniors: Josh Rosen (UCLA, 3), Lamar Jackson (Louisville, 5), Jake Browning (Washington, 6), Josh Allen (Wyoming, 7).
    Seniors: Mason Rudolph (Okla. State, 2), Baker Mayfield (Oklahoma, 8), Quinton Flowers (S. Fla., 9).

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

I watched Rosen get outplayed by Riley Ferguson from Memphis this weekend. You have to be very careful about judging college qb's because of the talent gaps between schools. UCLA for example has some beastly receivers that make Rosen look way better than he is. When your receivers are much bigger, much faster, and much more talented than virtually all the cornerbacks they face its much easier to look great. Think Mark Sanchez at USC.

7. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

By that logic you can't argue that Rosen got outplayed by Ferguson because the context of that game had Ferguson playing against one of the worst defenses in the nation.

Rosen is playing with no offensive line, no run game and nobody but you is terribly impressed by UCLA's receivers. He's a one man show on that team.

8. mezzavo

Sorry about the duplicate thread...I don't see another one addressing this topic.

Having said that, I have watched Mayfield the last couple weeks and I have been impressed. He is a gamer! And what Frenbar said is exactly WHY you don't tank a season for a damned college QB!!! Of all the "cant miss" prospects over the last decade how many of them have been can't miss?

9. JetLion77

JetLion77 New Member

Many of these lists are subjective and change from week to week depending on how these QB's play. Naturally, many of these sites currently have Darnold at top of the list, but the rest of the QBs vary.

Mark Sanchez was a one year starter at USC, but a lot of these current QB's are multiple year starters: Darnold and Allen are in their second full season as starter. Rosen and Jackson are in their third. At least whoever the Jets have to pick from have some game experience under their belt.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

I think Darnold is the best overall talent, someone who maybe closer to being ready....very good arm, can move in the pocket.

I think Josh Allen has the best arm strength and talent in this QB class, combined with very good athleticism...but I feel he's a bit raw then say, Darnold.

Rosen has the gunslinger mentality and can make plays anywhere with his arm but lacks that athletcism...plus there's the feeling that he's not well liked as a teammate.

Jackson is Mike Vick part deux, but he's likely going to have accuracy issues most his career...dynamic talent though.

I believe Rudolph is ranked the 5th QB in this class...he makes plays out of nothing, kid can extend plays...but I'm not quite sure if he will translate...I need more on him.