Petty: "I'm the #1 Qb"

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Definitely. And easy completions. Play action bootlegs. Quick outs, 4-5 yard tightend stops.

Basically the completely same thing as the Cowboys did with Dak. Ease the kid into things. And then once he's comfortable and the offense has established balance, defenses will have to play both pass and run on every down.

We're content on running halfback gut plays to the 1 & 3 gaps for pickups of 1.5 every damn series on first down.

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I know that Macc wasn't going to do it, but I really thought - and still do think -that he should've drafted Mahomes or Watson and cut Hack. How much more optimistic things would look with McCown, Petty, Mahomes/Watson.

boozer32 likes this.
  3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I would've loved to have taken Watson. The kids a winner. But I think I do agree with what @101GangGreen101 said in another thread that he wasn't the right fit for this team. We are a team in turmoil. If we took Watson we would have absolutely needed to keep one of Marshall, Decker and then also Mangold, etc.

I think tear down and tank was the right choice but we should've just done it with Petty and kept or acquired some more offensive pieces to give him a fair shake.

McClown is so useless for this team especially if he's still playing by week 8 with a terrible record.

101GangGreen101, boozer32 and FJF like this.
  4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This looks on the face of it like one of those timing things. Petty didn't show enough in the rookie OTA's and training camp to move off of the project list. He was a 4th round pick and really all he was going to be getting a hard look on was that body of work. Then the Jets drafted another QB with a higher pick the year after and had a vet they liked for the locker room also around.

It's not hard to get buried on a depth chart in the NFL, particularly at QB, particularly as a mid to late round pick.

It could have gone differently, but given the spread Petty came out of it's hard to see how. He was who-what-where-ing his rookie year and that was all the undivided attention he was going to get.

Jets69 likes this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I can see your (and 101's) point, but had they taken Watson (or Mahomes!) they might well have kept Decker at least. The "tear down" approach might work, but to justify passing over Mahomes/Watson will require that they wind up getting a QB better than either, and that's not a guarantee. Again, how far behind would they now be if they had skipped Adams, taken Mahomes/Watson, and gotten Maye - or here's a REALLY WILD idea: taken Cook and no Safeties! It's not like the defense would've sucked - because they do even with both Adams and Maye.

All I see is that this team turns a blind eye to offense. It's mind-boggling really.

KurtTheJetsFan and boozer32 like this.
  6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It's not even close to being the same thing, but then I think he knows that and is just stirring the pot or intentionally being obtuse.

7. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Yuk Yuk

Royal Tee likes this.
  8. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

They better not start this Petty guy and fuck our draft all up.

donkey, CBG, Cman68 and 1 other person like this.
  9. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

It really is mindboggling. Its like Jets go into every draft with a concept of never scoring points. In a NFL offensive driven league.

#29 boozer32, Sep 16, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Watson is a horrible fit for the Jets. Why take Watson when you can have the upgraded version in Lamar Jackson? Watson's a winner, but doesn't have the arm strength you want in a QB in terms of the Meadowlands wind. Jackson has a better arm and has the similar skill-sets of Watson cept faster and more dynamic.

Mahomes is a complete project and his mechanics everything is being overhauled by one of the best offensive minds in NFL history. I would've rather picked Adams in rd1 and Kizer in rd2 who has shown the ability to make plays with a crappy Browns team and almost beat Pittsburgh. Or instead of Kizer, picked Cook / Mixon, or maybe even Antonio Garcia at some point as a potential LT.

boozer32 likes this.
  11. ChrebetCrunch

ChrebetCrunch Well-Known Member

We are never going to know if Bryce Petty, or any young QB on this team is going to develop if they never see the fucking field. We'll never know if we put them behind a swiss cheese OL and equally inexperienced wide receivers. We absolutely suck at developing QBs.

PulseJet likes this.
  12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Petty: I never say I am the number 2, I am the number 1
    Milner, I can't say another man that plays the position is better than me.
    Sorry can, your man crush is messing with your prospective.

13. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

If we ever need someone to come in against third stringers and move the ball, Petty is our guy. I'm pretty sure we've already seen what he does against actual NFL defenses.

Jets69 likes this.
  14. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Ze Germans

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

15. xxedge72x

Throw touchdowns?

16. BroadwayAaron

True he did throw touchdowns. 3 of them. Along with 7 INTs in 6 games. Solid ratio...

Jets69 likes this.
  17. xxedge72x

As solid as rolling out a 38 year old bum to go through the motions of losing.

18. BroadwayAaron

I didn't say he was any better or worse than McCown. There's this weird notion for some reason in this thread that Petty is a good QB that is never going to make it just because he's a Jet. He's never going to make it because he's not good. A low level backup at best. He's had no success on the pro level and only shined against third stringers and guys currently unemployed. None of that warrants the love he's getting.

101GangGreen101 and Jets69 like this.
  19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

dude, you are about to get unloaded on.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  20. BroadwayAaron

I welcome it. Debating people that have nothing to back up their point is what the internet is all about.

101GangGreen101, Jets69 and FJF like this.