Potential Coaching Candidates thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Sep 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Is that the French method?

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I totally agree with your regarding your reply to Linebacker712's post. We need an offensive guy with experience preferably as a QB coach, OC and HC.

Thanks for posting that about Bowles and the DL. I don't think that necessarily means that there's hope for him as a HC, at least here, just that there may be some hope for him as a DC. We still need someone who knows how to develop a young QB and an offense.

3. NCJetsfan

So, in other words, you're saying that Bowles could be a really good HC for us if he totally changes how he does his job. ;) I don't think he's capable of all that, nor do I think he developed Enunwa, Winters or Powell.

As you say, however, ultimately, what the Jets need most is a HC who knows how to develop a young QB, and Bowles isn't and I don't think ever will be that.

boozer32 and Endlessly Counting like this.
  4. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

You could develop a QB into a back up, a serviceable one at least. Take a more talented one and take him to another level(high end starter) that's all.

5. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Enunwa, Winters and Powell all developed into larger roles under Bowles(even though he's back to not playing Powell)

6. JetLion77

JetLion77 New Member

I've only been through the first two pages this thread and I keep seeing the names Jon Gruden and Bill Cowher. Let me give you scenarios.

Scenario 1: you work what is essentially a part-time job. You get paid a nice penny to sit and analyze games, go home to your wife and kids at night, and enjoy time off from February through mid-August. (If you're Gruden, it's three months because of the draft and that fakakta QB Camp show.)

Scenario 2: you work 12 months out of the year, sleep in your office (if you can sleep) for sixteen weeks or more, and travel thousands of miles between games. You deal with the stress of meeting the expectations of fans, a rabid media, and billionaire owners with gigantic egos, all who want you to win now or else. On top of that, you have to manage 53 different personalities week after week, some who are more difficult than others.

There is a reason why these guys are on television and not on the sideline and the first scenario is probably it.

NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. NCJetsfan

They started playing more, but I think that was because they had already developed. I don't think there was anything that Bowles has said or done to help them develop. He played them because they demonstrated that they were better than the alternatives.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

I'll give him credit simply because under his watch they excelled.

9. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

There is no chance Bowles keeps his jobs after this year. He is coaching for his next job.

10. NCJetsfan

Fair enough. I'll readily admit that he or his CS may have had something to do with their development, but I am biased against him, so I have a hard time crediting him with doing anything right.

11. NCJetsfan

Good post, and I agree, but I would have given you a "like" for using the word, "fakakta." LOL

JetLion77 likes this.
  12. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

I agree, Bowles is not that guy

The whole thing about this "tanking" scenario, in my mind, is that it is a three point program...#1 pick and $80m in cap space which gives us the bait necessary to lure a top-flight coach (Sean Payton?) The cap space is already in place and time will tell about the #1 pick, but we certainly have a chance. The variable here is Bowles and my biggest fear, in true Jets fashion, is that Bowles is on board and he's been told he's coming back next year no matter what.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

An assistants job. He will never be a head coach in this league again.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timeinc.net/si/mmqb/2016/12/15/nfl-general-manager-candidates-2017?source=dam

We should start a future general managers thread eventually but as well. But for now I'll leave this year. It's 9 months outdated but it's still a good list even if Peter Kinrg wrote it.

A couple of these names have come up in our last GM search. In particular Chris Ballard and George Paton.

15. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Excellent point. These rigid coaches get figured out and still try the same stuff. Like Paul Hackett who ran Curtis Martin, left, Curtis Martin right and Curtis Martin draw all game long.

16. boozer32

Nope Jets went that route years ago with Lou Holtz. I turn the channel till this day every time I see his mug. No rah rah guys we need serious smart tacticians. Guy's that know how to hire a competent staff, develop players, make in game adjustment and have a team prepared each and every week.

17. boozer32

Winters hasn't developed into anything. It was a huge mistake signing to any contract let alone a 30 million one. He is not even top 25 in the NFL at that position so why would he warrant that type of money. Never will understand what Macc was thinking with that.

Red Menace likes this.
  18. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Cowher and Gruden have nothing to prove, but you left out something pretty important from scenario #2:

competition. The chance to fight and win.

we wouldn't be on this forum without that drive. It's not something you can really put a price on.

19. JetLion77

JetLion77 New Member

Thanks - sometimes, you gotta just break out some Yiddish to give a post some spice. :D

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Winters has not developed into an elite RG that could command that type of money, but he has improved to be an average starter, he was atrocious as a LG.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.