This is setting up for us to win the AFCE.....(Not Really)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Royal Tee, Sep 8, 2017.

1. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Yes. Quite correct. I meant that, but I didn't type that. As a stickler for such things, I'm ashamed.

I very much remember Flipper Anderson, Calvin Johnson, and Adrian Peterson each having over 300 in a game--there are probably others, too, that I don't remember or were before my time. (Marshall Faulk? Tomlinson? Someone obvious that I'm not think of?)

2. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

The Season just got way too interesting...darn

I still want to tank because we can't lose sight of what really matters..

17 seasons of TB and he's finally had it..what else is new? This was inevitable to have some decline starting

So for shits and giggles we go after the AFCE with MCown and subsequently blow our chances at a FQB??!!!!!

NOT A GOOD IDEA

Jmho

Royal Tee likes this.
  3. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

An interesting game next week... Brees vs Pats defence. High scoring game for sure...Maybe Brady gets his first TD this year.

Royal Tee likes this.
  4. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

The hate is flowing like hot lava. I honestly don't care what our record is at season's end, I don't care who we do or don't draft, I just want to see the Cheats go 9-7 to win the division and all will be well with the world. Removed from reality, I know; but if you don't have dreams life just ain't worth living.

5. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

HAHAHAHAHA.

6. WhySheldonWhy?

He did well but their offensive line was pushing around the Pats D-Line like it was nothing. He also had 150 yards in the 4th quarter - most of which came on 2 broken plays. I wouldn't anoint him the next Barry Sanders just yet.

7. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

lol at the premise of the OP...the frigging Chiefs play well against the Pats. They destroyed them in Arrowhead a few years back before the infamous 'on to Cincinatti' press conference. They were nip and tuck with them in the playoffs a couple years ago. And they're a solid team to begin with while the Pats were playing their first game since losing Edelman. New England's still winning their 12-13 games and walking to the division unless Gregg Williams comes back to the Saints and gets Brady and Jimmy G kneecapped.

If we started the rebuild two years from now you'd be bitching we started it right after Brady retires and should have done it while he was kicking our ass for two decades.

#27 NYJFan10, Sep 8, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    Royal Tee likes this.
  8. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Don't think you realized that this was a tongue and cheek thread...so let me help you out....

o_O Really?

I remember all of it...and actually was one of the ones in the game thread bitching about the lack of respek the Chiefs got....
    Shit, I tweeted it!

9. I still maintain that Garropolo is Matt Cassell 2.0 until proven otherwise.Sure he'll run the Patriots offense & even add an element outside the pocket that Brady lacks..but this crowning of him being a franchise Quarterback much less even close to Brady's equal is beyond comical. Assuming he'll be as clutch in big games is downright silly but not as laughable as him being as durable.He couldn't even last 4 games w.o going down!!

Despite winning the game, this past super bowl was a wake up call for Bellicheat.The demand to match up w top notch athletes on the edge & on the boundary is quickly becoming something that cannot be side stepped or combated via toughness & grit like hes traditionally done.Moves for Brandon Cooks,stephon Gilmore & Kony Ealy were an obvious admission of this. Still that defense & ESP the front 7 looked awfully stiff & slow.Theyll likely improve as the season wears on & Im not suggesting doom & gloom..

That said,even the most bias of Patriot fans must come to grips that they are about to enter a drastically transitional period. How will the team handle a new QB?How will the new QB handle not being the old QB? How does BB overcome the need for top flight athletes which has never been a major fixture of his winning formula outside of Randy Moss? I'm sure they'll exercise their typical prudent roster management.but I have a hard time believing the invincibility we've come to know is maintained.

This opens a window of opportunity for the AFC east.The jets chose to start a true rebuild at the exact right time in terms of their own stature as well as the distant winds of change swirling within the NFL.Course this is all for nothing if they don't find a solution at QB & start drafting well.

No better time to start..

10. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Agreed 100 percent. I think that's why you see this team making the moves it did. Sacrifice this year and a chance to win the next 10.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

2001 Patriots lose to Bengals 23-17, win Super Bowl
    2003 Patriots lose to Bills 31-0, win Super Bowl
    2014 Patriots lose to Dolphins 33-20, win Super Bowl

They're now 13-4 in week one games since 2001. So I wouldn't overreact and think this could've been the year.

The discouraging part about it too is that the Steelers and Big Ben's playoff pedigree are likely the entire AFC's best opportunity to dethrone the Patriots. Problem is that the Steelers cannot beat New England in the playoffs. We knocked them off in 2010 for the Steelers. They played he Chargers and Ravens when they won in 2008.

I can't see the Raiders or Titans in their youth going into New England and beating them. Who else out there has a chance? The best opportunity a team has to win the AFC is to get the number one seed.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Problem is that we've depleted the roster so much that the chips reallllly need to fall in place even if we get that franchise quarterback.

I made a thread for this but it didn't get much attention. However we have a good opportunity to build a veteran offense around a young signal caller whether that be Rosen, Darnold, Allen or whomever we get in the draft.

There's definitely opportunity. But we need to use the money wisely. And for christs sake leave the defense alone. It NEEDS to be self sufficient if we want to build a formidable offense. One corner or inside linebacker at $5-$8 million and that's IT on defense. Draft offense, sign offense and give the young guy a f'n chance to develop around pros.

The same opportunity we deprived Sanchez of.

Imagine we sign say LT Nate Solder (even though Houston abused him last night), WR Allen Robinson/Davante Adams/Jarvis Landry, and RB Carlos Hyde to pair with Darnold/Rosen? Leggett develops into a Dustin Keller type of target, and Hansen/Anderson/Stewart/Kearse hold down the 2-4 receiver spots.

The offense is completely and utterly rebuilt in an offseason. I hope this is Maccagnan's plan. I just feel like we'll sign NT Dontari Poe and CB Vontae Davis instead. :mad:

It actually gives a glimmer of hope to this team.

I'm extremely curious to see what everyone else would do with the cap space.

#32 Jonathan_Vilma, Sep 9, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  13. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

That may have been true in 2014 but this year's Pats defense reminds me of the 2002 team that couldn't stop the run. That team went 9-7 that year. All the coaching in the world is not going to help if you can't stop the run. The front 7 is very thin and not that tough.

14. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

It actually Foxboro, we have a serious problem.

15. Hopefully the idea isn't to simply win on paper bc as you alluded to that'll be a difficult task given that the offense yet to be built will have a completely different wave length & trajectory than the D.

If we're able to nab the QB & surround him w a feasible surrounding cast to further blossom it no longer should be about simply name recognition & a stacked roster.The salary cap makes it very difficult to sustain that type of consistent talent. It becomes more about the program & drafting a steady stream of prospects who fit the overall concept. If the QB is playing at a consistently competent level,the talent base is at least average & the coaching is up to task we're a threat to make the playoffs in any given season...they'll be strong years & lean years on paper but if program is sound & the QB is legit we've got a chance

As for surrounding a young QB w some veterans while I don't disagree let's consider that Enunwa will be returning,Anderson/Peake will be in their 3rd seasons, ASJ his 4th,Powell is well seasoned while Hanson,Stewart,Legget & Mcguire will all have a year under their belts. All are pretty good bets to still be around next season & w some decent development are far from a horrible surrounding cast to start w.In fact it's a pretty healthy mix of players entering their prime & youngsters ready to take another step.

Here are the 3 guys I'd target in free agency who make sense & are somewhat realistic

1.Cameron Irving-Just entering his prime,can play left tackle & has movement skills needed for the jets ZBS.A Irving/Shell combo would be an intriguing 1.

2.Marquise Lee-We get the guy maybe we should've drafted instead of Calvin Pryor to begin w. Fits the west coast offense & is a short area guy who can make tacklers Miss in the open field..a good compliment to what the Jets already have in WR corps

3.Laveon Bell- I'm not exactly the biggest fan of throwing big money At RBs but this guy is the exception.Hes a true 3 down back who'd be a young QBs best friend.Hed give the offense instant credibility & an identity to build around.Beyond that,he's the Jets best chance at a true difference maker on O.He wants to get paid(the jets have the means)he wants carries(the jets have a long history of feeding RBs) & he's reportedly a Jets fan. I'll spare you all my Sparty fan jargon..he just makes a lot of sense even if we'll have to overpay

Those 3 would go a long way at drastically improving this offense as well as setting up a young QB for success.I'd maybe add a corner or linebacker in FA as well.Should the QB be attained w the 1st pick the rest of the draft becomes about OL depth & potential playmakers at the skills.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

If you based your bets for the rest of the season on week 1 you'd be poor at the end if the season.

17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

You guys have nailed it. Especially the part about having a plan/identity and sticking to it, drafting/signing players who fit that mold. It's what every sustainably great team does.

And if anyone needs more proof of how quickly you can turn things around by focusing on offense. look at the Chiefs. Of course they weren't as weak as the Jets were, and Alex Smith is MILES better than Fitz or McCown, but still, they didn't sit on their asses, they were aggressive in going after difference-making talent. More importantly they have an identity.

Macc needs to stop with the BPA - a.k.a. "Whatever's on sale today" - plan and figure out what his blueprint is and find players who fit that. If he can't, then he needs to go and get someone in who CAN do this.

18. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

darth hoodie is not stupid. he will retire/leave when brady does.
    finding brady in the sixth round was like winning powerball.
    not gonna happen more tham once in a lifetime.

Royal Tee likes this.
  19. jago

jago Active Member

sorry , ignore .

20. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun