Mike M. has to go

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jets12, Sep 2, 2017.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I totally disagree. Snacks wanted waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much money for a 2-down NT and supplied little, if any, pressure on opposing QBs. There was no way we could have kept him at the price he wanted. We'd have had an absurd amount of cap space tied up in the DL. Letting Mo walk is equally ridiculous. It's utter nonsense imo.

It is not a flat situation. Again, that is totally absurd imo. You do understand that the DL is the least important unit in Bowles' D system or most any kind of 3-4 D base alignment don't you? If not, you need to understand that. The big money on the D needs to go to playmakers. That said, Mo deserved the money he got because he has been great against the run and the pass.

2. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Richardson is gone and It was a good move but get your facts straight, he took exception to Marshall calling out the Defense when Marshall had quit on the team.
    And he followed Wilkerson's direction. Will was arrested, suspended and was late for meeting since his rookie year, long before Richardson arrived in NY.

3. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

Mo wasn't worth the money, especially after an injury.
    Mac screwed this up entirely.
    Sheldon was mishandled after Rex left.
    To say that the D-line is the least important, is stupid as fuck.
    Total lack of football knowledge on that idea.
    Some said we could have developed Hack further and potentially traded him for a future 1st or 2nd. Yet we are lucky to get a 2nd for a former ROY and Pro bowler? That's real logic there..... In Madden.
    Maybe Mac plays Madden too.
    It sure as fuck looks like it.
    Sheldon will play well for Seattle I bet.

4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

You're so wrong. Harrison wanted $9m, about half what we paid Mo. Giants GLADLY paid it and now of the best NT in football and WE no longer have a D-line teams are afraid to run on. Heck, NE passed the ball 18 times straight, never even TRIED to run on Snacks.

Saying he's 'only' a 2 down lineman is another mistake. He did such a great job stuffing the run on 1st and 2nd down teams were constantly faced with 3rd and long. That calls for pass rushers

ColoradoContrails and tbruner12 like this.
  5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

After 2014 the Jets probably could have locked Snacks up for about $6M a year with half of it guaranteed. That was the real opportunity. $9M a year after 2015 was still a better move than letting him go but the Mo Wilk contract precluded that option.

The Jets just made the wrong choice and now we're living with it.

6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

you guys are talkin about Mac's decision making as it pertains to the defensive line.... Here is 'just the facts'

he had Wilkerson, Snacks, Richardson, and WIlliams all playing at a high level on rookie level deals and plenty of cap room:

he turned it into ZERO playoff appearances, Wilkerson (with BIG contract) Williams (will ask for a BIG contract after the season) , Jermaine Kearse and a (probably late) 2nd round pick.

'just the facts'

NYJetsO12, tbruner12 and Br4d like this.
  7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

10M a year for a 2 down lineman. Leonard Williams has made up for the loss of Snacks, the running game hasn't been the issue in terms of the Jets defense.

https://www.ganggreennation.com/201...tball-focus-best-defenders-under-25-years-old

Now, if Snacks wanted 5M per year and if that price were fair I would've kept Snacks. 10M a year? Absolutely not.

What money are you paying Sheldon? In terms of, "If Mo doesn't bounce back in a big way the Jets are going to have issues." in terms of the cap that is untrue and has already been debunked.

We can all complain about who or what the Jets did or didn't get, or who they did or didn't keep. The fact of the matter is the Jets have SHIT at linebacker and have no speed to compliment the interior rush.

Red Menace likes this.
  8. 101GangGreen101

And at the end of the day instead of paying Revis, instead of Idzik ignoring the contract situation, the Jets could've locked Mo up for a cheaper price instead of letting the market define the player. Go back and read about Cameron Jordan getting his deal. They let all of those lineman strike up the price for Mo. Fletcher Cox.

Blame the FO, don't blame the players.

9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

the FO deserves plenty of blame. But in certain circumstances the players deserve it as well. Like in the case of a defensive lineman who signs a giant contract extension before the 2016 season and then decides now he can half-ass it in 2016 since he's already been paid.

the FO deserves blame for not seeing that coming but the player himself should share some blame for that too

10. 101GangGreen101

Who also had better pass rush productivity on 1 healthy leg then the guy that was just traded. Mo on 1 leg, playing the role of Edge rusher.

11. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Miikey Macc is a mixed bag. He is a very professional person, fits the part of being a GM, but being a former scout, I expected some slam dunk picks. His first draft was pretty disastrous IMO as Devin Smith was a bust, Mauldin flashed as a rookie but is constantly injured now, petty has looked improved but who knows if he will ever be a franchise QB, Jarvis Harrison no longer on team, and Deon Simon is now a PS player.

2015 draft was not great by any stretch.

2016 - Seems much better. Lee needs to improve his coverage skills, Hack may be a haunting pick given that they've done nothing to help him progress, and he hasn't taken the next step in his development. JJ looks fast and I think he will be a solid starter for us. Juston Burris also a nice pick up. Brandon Shell came on last year and played well but this preseason he has looked like garbage. We will see how he looks going forward. Lac Edwards was inconsistent last year and despite me calling for some punting competition earlier in the preseason, he looks to have become more consistent over the course of the preseason. Charone Peake - meh, flashed at times last year, but did not look good during PS.

I will hold on judging 2017 draft, but from the initial production in preseason I can see this draft being the best draft Mac has had to date.

I am unsure if the drafts, free agent, and undrafted free agent acquisitions will be enough to save Macc after 3 non-playoff years, but it'll be interesting how this draft class plays.

Red Menace likes this.
  12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Our GM sucks. But he has identified that the one way to fix any and every franchise is to acquire an elite passer. Even if that means tossing away an entire season to secure that.

The rest of the team can be garbage. And they will still be competitive. Some years will have better rosters than others. Look at Philip Rivers and Andrew Luck. They will their teams to 7-9 when certain years dictate a 2-14 roster.

If Mac gets the quarterback and he isn't JaMarcus Russell (even if he fits into the top 14-15 in the league) then all of this can be forgiven.

I would kill for the Kirk Cousins/Matthew Stafford/Andrew Luck tier of quarterbacks.

The defensive line was handled horribly. The only saving grace is that we still have the best of the 4 (5 including Coples that bumass) under team control.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. grkmanga31

He has had some pretty shitty moments but I don't think everything has been doom and gloom. Either ways, if the team goes 2-14 its going to be very very hard to sell the future under Bowles and Macc. Fans will be clamoring for a fresh start with a high pick QB.

14. NCJetsfan

What do you base that "probably" on? $9 million a year for a 2-down NT is nuts imo and NOT a better move than letting him go.

15. ChrebetCrunch

ChrebetCrunch Well-Known Member

Bowles is here until at least midway through the 2018 season. Mac isn't going anywhere, any time soon. Mac has made some questionable moves, but I'm not sure if they were his moves, or Woody's. I absolutely LOVED his first two picks in this year's draft. You quite possibly have your starting safeties for the next 10 years. The offseason is going to determine if Mac is a chump or a future champ. We are likely to get our franchise QB with our first pick in 2018. We have 80 million and 9 draft picks to address the OL.

I'm not completely sold on Mac, but I feel pretty good about him. Bowles, not so much.

JETS1116 likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

It's the GM's job to secure talent. It's the HC's (and his staff's) job to develop the talent the GM has assembled and utilize systems that maximize their talent and potential, and put them in places to succeed. Bowles and his staff haven't done this to date. That's not on Mac. Mac can be blamed for other things, but not for the HC's and CS's failures.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  17. grkmanga31

Yes and no. I agree that ultimately the coaching staff has to develop the staff that is given to him. But I also think that some of his draft picks haven't been great. Really think that 2015 draft was bad. Like I've maintained, I think Macc has done a better job versus Bowles in their respective positions, but if we go 2-14, how can Chris Johnson sell to the fans, Bowles and Macc, or even just Macc, should come back. It's not impossible that it happens, I'm just unsure if its realistic in this market.

Ticket sales will also be abysmal this year and depending on how things go this year, a lot can change. For right now, it's too early to make a definitive statement on job security, this is just a preliminary outlook before any real football has been played.

18. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

How do you know which players are underdeveloped, and which are just untalented players?

Seems like a relatively impossible thing to know. Maybe Mac supplied Bowles with untalented players, who cant be developed.

My guess is, its a giant mix of the two.

legler82 and tbruner12 like this.
  19. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

+1

Everyone wants to blame Mac for bad years from Revis & Fitzpatrick. What responsibility does Todd Bowles own?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  20. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

We should be thanking mac for not giving in and giving fitz a 3 year 30 million dollar deal like he wanted.

wewantsapp and NCJetsfan like this.