Revisionist Draft History 2013-present

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Aug 27, 2017.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yeah. I'll accept some blame as an "impatient" Jets fan for over 50 years. But again, the lack of an overall architect that puts in place a plan and sticks to it is the real problem. Until that gets fixed, I'm keeping my pitchfork handy.

boozer32 and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I guess a lot of teams will be sick as fuck at letting David Johnson reach the 3rd round, in fact it is quite unbelievable to think about it now.

blackssmagic and AarontheJet like this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

I disagree. The concept of taking the BPA is based upon a cover your ass mentality. Why didn't Macc take Andrus Peat with the 6th pick since OT was a bigger need than DL? Or even Beasely who was a pass rusher. also more needed than a DL? Because he was too afraid to pass up the "sure thing" that everyone said Williams was. It doesn't matter that Williams lived up to his billing, because he hasn't made as much of an impact as one of those other guys would have IMO.

BPA is useful only as a secondary criteria to need when rebuilding a team. If your team is already set and a playoff-contender, then BPA can take a higher priority, but again, good teams will first look at the player's makeup and fit to their scheme.

BPA is a lazy way to make picks,

boozer32 likes this.
  4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Its about finding the BPA that fits a need on the team. You need to find balance between the two. Personally, I don't think Peat is all that great and he doesn't even play tackle for the Saints. Beasely is going to be good, but I am really happy with Leonard Williams. Williams has made a huge impact for the Jets. Also it's not just about RD 1, it's about the full body of work too. The best GMs find value late.

5. ColoradoContrails

I just used Peat as an example. How about Flowers instead? I'm not saying that Williams hasn't been good, maybe even great, but he hasn't made as big an impact as a stud OL on THIS team would've made.

I agree with the line I bolded, but that's not what those who advocate using BPA usually mean. As I said, the order of priority should be:

1. Team need.
    2. Player's fit within team identity/scheme.
    3. BPA.

6. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

That's the thing, every fan/team can make a list like this. Of course, some are worse than others (hence why our cupboard is so bare), but all 32 teams every year pass on players they should have taken or reach for stiffs.

7. 101GangGreen101

Finding a lineman worth a damn has been tough as of late. Not to excuse Mac ... but it's been a shortage of good lineman. Brandon Scherff would've been a good selection if they didn't want to take Leonard Williams. They say you don't take a guard high in the draft, but that kid is going to be a pro bowl regular.

In terms of the order, I don't use a list per say but percentages. I would say 75% BPA 25% Need. This would eliminate obvious factors. That would've meant the Jets taking Brandon Scherff, instead of Leonard Williams. However, I wanted Sheldon traded so more than likely the decision would be much tougher.

8. ColoradoContrails

But again, even acknowledging that Williams is a stud, and has provided value, wouldn't you agree that having a guy like Scherff would've mad a BIGGER impact? And that's where I fault relying on the BPA first, and specifically Macc for being driven to drafting "D" when "O" was a much bigger priority.

9. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Exactly :)

10. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Brandon Scherff wasn't an option because the Redskins took him one pick before us.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  11. 101GangGreen101

Thanks for correcting that, for some reason I thought the Redskins picked 1 after us

12. 101GangGreen101

Scherff actually was off the board, I was wrong. That justifies the Williams pick even more. At that point you are just reaching for players, maybe you take Gurley or Parker. Both players have had down years, especially Gurley.

13. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

I agree with you on this concept. Prime example is look at the Bills, they are changing players out to fit the new coaching schemes.

14. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

No clue what Terry Bradway was doing in that 'corner office' after being demoted . . . OK, let's face it, he was jerking off.

Fun fact: In my top 500 flicks of all time: 'After Hours'. The protagonist's name? Paul Hackett. How good am I?!

15. Zuckpsu

Zuckpsu Member

The 2014 draft was abysmal. Cooks and Benjamin were on the board at the time of the Pryor pick. Although I wanted Allen Robinson in Round 2, I can understand the Amaro pick, as he was a productive college TE at a position of need. Then came McDougle, Shaq Evans, and Jalen Saunders.

16. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

Lenny as BPA was a great pick IF we had been able to trade out Wilk or Sheldon to fill a need or two (or even one need + picks)

17. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

it just doesn't matter, why are u folks killing yourself with his stuff.

18. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

The Jets are allergic to offense in any form. The spend heavily on defense and nickel and dime the offense. Yet every year around draft time fans and the like cry for another defensive player. 20 years of defensive coaches and 10 years straight of first round defensive picks. I present to you the dysfuntional Jets.

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's hard to draft well on offense when the head coach knows very little about offense. The Jets have drafted fairly well on defense over the years because they had head coaches saying "go get that guy he'll fit in our defense". They still made some big mistakes on that side of the ball but they haven't even been trying on the other side because the head coach hasn't been looking for guys who would fit his scheme because he has no scheme to fit.

20. Blind big board best player available is flawed b.c you leave yourself at the mercy of the positional market. It's a good way to end up w. defensive players in the first round for 10 straight years b.c you aren't factoring in roster balance..and in essence nothing is more important in football than balance. You are solely looking at the grade of the player & outside of kickers & punters are gonna pull the trigger regardless. What you also end up w. in alot of cases is a collection of individual talent rather than a cohesive unit.

There are elements of BPA that are healthy. If executed it does remove the intangible "panic" factor on draft day & also provides clean lines of accountability w. the evaluation team.

I think the best thing to do is to build a TEAM board off of the big board. The team board if done right holds a higher standard for talent that directly fits the prototype & fills a need in the healthiest terms possible. You still monitor the big board to analyze live time trends,positional gaps, opportunities for trade, etc..but outside the rare exception..you take the highest ranked player on the team board every time on the clock while remaining mindful of roster needs & overall balance. If your evaluatorrs are any good & the prototypes are right on..this is how you build a talented cohesive team for the long term.

NCJetsfan and slimjasi like this.