Who Should Be The Opening Day Starter?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PulseJet, Aug 22, 2017.

?

Who should be the Jets Opening Day Starter?

1. McCown

20 vote(s)
    25.6%
  2. Hackenberg

16 vote(s)
    20.5%
  3. Petty

42 vote(s)
    53.8%
  1. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Bowles will be announcing the Jets opening day starter on Monday after the 3rd preseason game against the Giants. Who (currently on the roster) should he pick? What makes the best sense for the Jets player development? State your case.

And yes, all three options suck. What is the best choice? Make the choice now and you can change your vote after the Giants game.

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I am going to go away from my original thinking and go with petty.
    Mccown shouldn't even be on the roster, waste of time and money. Petty is in his 3rd year,has some starts under his belt, throw him in there and see what he has. if it's bad after week 6 turn to mccown for a few and let hack take it home for the last 6-7.

boozer32, Royal Tee, nicg4360 and 4 others like this.
  3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Although I like Petty, for the sake of the 2018 draft (and the future of the team), I want McClown to start all 16 games. We desperately need his 2-20 record to trend just one more time so we can finally have a shot at a potential FQB. I know that the odds of McClown making it thru 16games are slim to none, call it wishful thinking on my part. McClown and Hack gives us our best chance at a top 3 pick.

4. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

I wanted Petty to start halfway through last year, I wanted him to start before we acquired McCown and I want him to start opening day. I saw enough from him last year to believe he can play.

boozer32, Royal Tee, PulseJet and 4 others like this.
  5. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

Not sure how anyone could justify it being anyone but McCown. By all measures he's played better than the other two.

tbruner12 likes this.
  6. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Has to be one of the young guys , although I can see McCown starting the 1st 3 or 4 before handing over the reigns .
    Need to see what we've got in these young guys in order to have a strategy going into the draft .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Imagesrdecieving and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

If we're going to start the player that deserves it, it probably should be McCown. If we are going to start the player that needs evaluation before picking high in the draft next year it would be Hackenberg or Petty.

NYJalltheway likes this.
  8. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Deserves has nothing to do with it...see you in hell....yeah.

Movie quotes aside, I have no clue what the jets are doing, on one hand they are building through the draft and going with young guys over vets to get them experience.

On the other hand they are going to go with a below average vet at QB instead of one of the young guys totally torpedoing the notion that they are building for the future with young players.

If they are going to let the young guys take their lumps, then go with Petty who in my opinion is better than Hack at this point, but is young enough that they can let him grow with the young players on offense, WR, TE, Elija McGuire.

This is a repeat on a smaller version of what they did when they brought in Revis and Fitzpatrick, they are trying to blend a mix of vets and youngsters to have a facade of trying to win while prepping for the future as well.

The whole point of playing young players is to get through the development phase asap, keeping young players in this case the QB, sidelined, only delays the inevitable, he has to play and WILL make mistakes, Bowles needs to understand this, the faster he gets the young guys out there, the faster he will get through that phase.

It's like teaching a kid to drive, you can let them get behind the wheel once a month or everyday, which one will get him comfortable driving sooner?

It's not that hard TB.

#8 Red Menace, Aug 22, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  9. PulseJet

I'm about as big a supporter of Petty as they come, and want him to be the starter, but have gone back and forth on McCown because it will be a few weeks before that OL begins to gel and better to have McCown take the lumps than the young guys, particularly against Oakland.

But I am more in the camp of starting Petty now, and it has to do with the schedule. The Bills are in about as bad of shape as the Jets are. A road win there is very possible. Oakland will be a Jet beating but after that you have the Dolphins, Jags and Browns. I can see the Jets winning 2 of the first 5 games and all kinds of optimism from Bowles that he can make a run. So whoever is the QB will likely be entrenched there until at least November barring injury.

I think the worst possible outcome for this season is for the Jets to have a 3-6 or 4-5 record heading into November 13th at Tampa Bay WITH McCown starting. McCown will be Fitz 2.0 and delay the evaluation of Petty. The Media will be talking up Bowles resurgence as a HC and contract extensions /saving his job stories will be rampant. It will be nauseating.

Then, after McCown gets hurt or craps the bed, they will put Petty or Hack in to face the Panthers, Chiefs, and Broncos. They will be thrown to the wolves and we still wont know what the Jets have in the young QB's because they werent given a proper chance. Though I think Hack shouldnt see the field in 2017.

#9 PulseJet, Aug 22, 2017
  10. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Not playing petty and hack because you want mccown to get us the 1 pick is like buying lotto tickets for Saturday's drawing on Tuesday and skipping the Wednesday drawing. All 3 qbs are capable of securing the 1 pick but 2 are also capable of being the franchise. The youngsters need to play

11. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I think we can go winless with Hack so he gets my vote.

12. PulseJet

So you think Hack is going to suck therefore he is your vote? Not sure that should be counted as a vote in his column!

#12 PulseJet, Aug 22, 2017
  13. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Doesn't matter. With this O-line, we're going to see some from all three of these guys, plus at least 2 or 3 other QBs by the time this season is over.

DevTeam, Frenbar and matt robinson 17 like this.
  14. legler82

We are going to suck balls no matter who plays mainly because we have an offense with no weapons and a porous offensive line being run by a first time OC. Not to mention non of the QBs are good fits for the WCO. Hack vs Petty vs McCown is like a difference of 0-3 wins. 0 wins and knowing what we have with Hack (good or bad) is better than 3 wins with Petty or McCown. Plus it pretty much guarantees the first pick.

15. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Can't disagree. I think ultimately they will turn to Hack or Petty or both, but it'll be after McCown starts a few games - sucks or flat out gets hurt.

Red Menace likes this.
  16. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

While I realize the kids need to play, I have my doubts TB is gonna allow that to happen as long as he THINKS he can either make a run and/or secure his extension. The best way to accomplish all of our long range goals is to get rid of both TB and McClown and the best way to do that is for McClown to play at the level he's always played, stay healthy and lose as many games as possible.

17. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

Hackensack - we gotta see what we have in him before investing in anything else.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

We can easily justify it because McCown sucks. If he plays to his normal level, the only thing he gives the Jets is likely a top 3 draft pick. He doesn't show them anything about Hack or Petty. He isn't the future, and probably won't be on the team next year.

McCown has been better solely because he has played in a WCO before, has so much experience, and because he has gotten the lion's share of the reps with the 1st team. Petty's stats are right there with McCown in terms of completion percentage and TDs, I think better in terms of sacks, and not far behind on interceptions. Hack's stats are right there with McCown's in terms of TDs and interceptions, but his sacks and completion percentage are worse. Petty has gotten just a little over half of the reps McCown has received. Hack is over a hundred reps behind.

Veterans need fewer reps to get ready, and the main purpose for this season is developing young players and determining who is going to help them going forward. The most important thing the Jets have to accomplish this season is finding out whether they need to draft a QB in 2018. Therefore, McCown should have gotten the fewest reps of all, and Petty and Hack should have received the lion's share of reps. It should have been a 2-way competition between them.

I know that Mac really likes Hack and thinks he has to justify taking him in the 2nd round, but imo Petty should have received the most reps. He has some playing/starting experience, showed some flashes and potential last season when playing behind a crap OL when most of the team had quit trying, and led a come from behind victory. Even with the few reps that Petty has received, he has done a better job of spreading the ball around and involving more receivers. He looked poised and in total command of the offense in the 6-7 video clips I saw from the the preseason game vs the Lions last Saturday.

With Petty starting, there's a chance the Jets could win more than 2-4 games, but they could discover that they don't need to draft a QB with their #1 pick next year, and it would make for a more exciting season for fans than watching McCown. I think Hack will develop into a pretty good QB, but he isn't ready yet. With more reps, he'd be farther along, perhaps a lot farther along, but I'm not sure that he'd be as ready as Petty is.

19. legler82

While I much prefer to see Hack play, truth be told, we really don't need to "...see what we have in him before investing in anything else". That line of thinking is what caused us to pass on QBs in the 2014 draft. The Jets are really under any obligation to play him nor should they let him deter them from drafting anyone else. At some point this organization, has to start learning from its mistakes and stop repeating them. He was just a 2nd round draft pick. I've posted in the past the history of 2nd round QBs; most barely got an opportunity to play. The tiny percentage that did pan out had to earn the job. Even then, there's no guarantee they keep it (see Drew Brees). Only our recent Jets have began this weird practice of treating 2nd round QBs like top 10 picks. There are fans take it even a few steps further by bitching and moaning about Petty, a 4th round pick, getting more opportunities before moving on. Some where in the world Kellen Clemens is wondering to himself where was all this patience a decade ago?

BacktoQueens likes this.
  20. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

FTR I was really upset at Kellen Clemen's lack of opportunity lol.

But this post in spot on! Dude shouldn't have been a 2nd round pick in the first place.

boozer32 likes this.