A Tanking Epidemic May Happen

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by forevercursed, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Obviously this is some kind of coded signal to commence jihad.

FJF likes this.
  2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Brook, what you got in that hookah man????

3. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

I agree with all but "and Mac"

4. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

I think the Jets could be a very attractive place for a good head coach to want to join soon. If we show our potential in our losing season, and not just a circus losing season.

Think about it, very solid very young budding players on defense (Adams, Williams, Lee, Mo Wilk, Sheldon, Maye, Claiborne)..
    Nice group of young speedy WR's.
    a shit load of cap space in the up coming offseason... a big shit load to fix up the horrible offense. (We really just need a o-line, QB is in the draft)
    a top pick in the draft is almost guaranteed... hell maybe even #1... new coach, say hello to your franchise QB.
    Big City of New York.

5. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Comparably, the Jets roster has got to be one of the worst, specifically on offense and special teams. If we had a legit offense our defense would probably be top 5 this year but I cannot see how they're going to hold teams all game when they'll likely be on the field a lot. I'm not sure if the Jets will be bad enough to secure the #1 pick but we will surely be contending for it. It may be between Jets, Bills, Jags but Jags will likely turn to Henne so I can see them winning a few games in a very inconsistent division.

sec314 likes this.
  6. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Allahu Akbar.

Nothing grandpa. I curse at my company for moving me to New Jersey office and I curse at my decision for becoming a Jets fan. I want a winning team and sustained success. I want a rocking Metlife.

Cman68 likes this.
  7. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Oh look, I figured out why we cut Decker and Harris for no good reason in the middle of June.

8. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

We just drafted Adams and Maye so we have no idea how good they are. Williams is a stud. Lee didn't have a good rookie season. Mo should bounce back, but he isn't young anymore and he has a big contract. I highly doubt Sheldon is around after this year. Claiborne is some guy the Cowboys didn't want. And our young speedy WRs would have a hard time making any other roster in the league.

If these players impress this year, and we get a top 3 pick because our QB play is horrible, I can see a good coach wanting to come here. OTOH if these players disappoint, which is just as if not more likely, good coaches won't want to work for Mac, and he'll have to be fired.

9. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

7th!!!!!!!! Holy crap, man. I want them to try like hell to win every game, Hack or Petty to prove out as a true FQB, both Bowles and Mac to get big extensions, and to pick an LT rather than an QB in the next draft.

Even if all those things come true, I can't fathom the 2017 Jets being good enough to warrant the 7th pick in next year's draft. 4th or 5th is seriously peak performance--and if they do that, both Bowles and Mac will have earned extensions.

boozer32 likes this.
  10. Dierking

Larry Faulk

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's really hard to tank with a decent defense and the Jets defense looks decent this year.

It's going to take a lot of thought to get out to the necessary record for a top 3 pick.

12. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Abduuuuuuuuuuuuuul Salaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam!

13. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

there are a couple of backups that will be signed as starters in 2018 (garropolo, mccaron, perhaps bridgewater), so you can cross a couple of teams off of that list

but cousins will and stafford, brees and bradford could be FAs so that may add a few teams to the needy list

14. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

The Jets need to be as shitty as possible; not just to secure a top 3 pick, but to protect having to trade tons of picks up to get into the top 3.

Also, picks in subsequent rounds will be highly important to use on offensive lineman. The Jets need a bunch of early round picks to secure top talent there.

Leicester Jet and NCJetsfan like this.
  15. Dierking

Fuck this. You people are assuming the Jets a) have a master plan; and 2) they have the capacity to execute it. Nothing I've ever seen out of this franchise in over forty years would lead me to assume either. If I'm watching my team on Sunday afternoon, I want them to win. Let the chips fall.

TwoHeadedMonster, Jake and sec314 like this.
  16. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

This thread makes me sad.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  17. jago

jago Active Member

maybe 49ers , don't think Coughlin will tank purposely in Jax, the others no way, all decent rosters.
    worst threat is that jets D outperforms and we screw ourselves with late wins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

You may be right. It would be typical Jets' luck to have two teams in our own division that are just as bad as we are. I'm still hoping that we win games; and that our kids show improvement, but the irony wouldn't be lost on me if we win three out of four against Bufflao and Miami, and they both draft ahead of us, potentially costing the Jets a franchise quarterback.

19. Tamba_Trio

Tamba_Trio Active Member

I'm pretty sure the Jets can outtank anyone. It's kinda rare to have an offense that is going to be as thoroughly embarrassing and unwatchable as ours will be this year.

Added to that a defence which couldn't get through a game without a horrendous busted coverage last year - they're still going to happen. And we'll still struggle to get to the QB (particularly when we've started the game with four straight 3 and outs and the defense's morale is destroyed).

Special teams is always a disaster so you can also throw in a shanked punt each game and - now that Nick Folk is gone - on the rare occassion that we do get in range of a field goal it's a lot less likely that we'll kick it.

Nooo, there's nobody as prepared as the Jets to tank this year. It's going to be epic.

20. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

The offense is so bad that our D will be wearing down by the second half. I don't think the Jets or any other team is intentionally trying to tank but I think the Jets will end up with 3 or 4 wins at most. Where that gets them in next years draft who knows.

Br4d and TwoHeadedMonster like this.