Preseason Game #2 Detroit Lions

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Aug 18, 2017.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Mac did try to trade up for Laremy Tunsil in the 2016 draft. I don't know what he offered or what teams were demanding, but it's at least possible that he could have given a little more and gotten Tunsil. Also, instead of taking Hack in the 2nd round, he perhaps could have either traded up in the 2nd round of the 2016 draft and taken Jason Spriggs, or not taken Lee in the 1st round, possibly traded down, and then taken both Hack and Spriggs in the 2nd. IMO Spriggs was a good LT prospect in that draft.

I don't know how Andrus Peat, Cedric Ogbuehi, D.J. Humphries, Donovan Smith, Jake Fisher, Rob Havenstein, Ty Sambrailo, Jamon Brown, and Chaz Green are doing, but all are OTs who were taken in the 1st 3 rounds of the 2015 draft and the Jets could have taken one of them. I believe that some of them were RTs, not LTs, and some probably wound up at OG, but the fact remains that at least the first 4-5 were pretty good prospects. If nothing else, our RT position would probably be set and stronger than it will be with either Qvale or Shell. Mac could have possible taken La'el Collins in that draft as well.

Peebag likes this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

You do know that Joe Kapp got the Vikings to a SB, right? What do you think his measurables were?

Statistics can be helpful, but they're not the only thing that counts. As Mark Twain once said: "There are three kinds of lies - lies, damnable lies, and statistics".

Again, I;m not ready to put Mahomes, Watson, Trubisky in the HOF, but I damn sure would love to have one of them on the Jets right now.

#582 ColoradoContrails, Aug 21, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
    westiedog1 likes this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

You make a strong case to support why Macc should be on thin ice, even though you still want to cut him slack. I'm not saying he should be fired right now, but if he doesn't massively upgrade the offence - starting with a FQB - by the end of the 2018 draft, he needs to be fired.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Yeah, the LT needs to be upgraded and I understand he never had a shot to get that LT, but he forgot the line has other positions involved. Specifically finding a RT, and C along with potential depth. Most of the guys on this depth chart have survived a regime or two.

The only way Mac can repair this offensive line quickly is to spend in FA and spend the majority of the resources on the line and QB. Tough to do in 1 draft.

5. ColoradoContrails

He needs to be careful if he chooses the FA route. I would suggest that he maybe uses that approach for that "missing piece", not for the majority of the OL. Otherwise, he'll spend all his money - and the future - on guys who might be OTH by the time the rest of the team hits their prime.

You're right...he can't do all of what needs to be done in one draft/FA, but he damn sure needs to make a substantial dent in it, with the foundation and resources in place for long term success. Frankly, I don;t know if he's capable.

6. Scoring points has not been a priority for a very very long time.Even the few times the team made headlining personnel related moves on offense it's always w this "good enough..back to defense" attitude.

These defensive head coaches that we've had lack any vision short term or long offensively..the only thing they understand are fundamentals & avoiding turnovers.when questioned about it they just claim the offense "will vary depending on the opponent".Always kept overly vague as if to deliberately avoid any means of identity or conviction.

I don't see how this regime is any different.Look at the offense we are fielding compared to the D &consider the fact that despite this our fearless leadership took safeties in the first 2 rounds of the draft.

The majority of the years since 09 that we've gone defense in round 1,the offense was by FAR the weakest link..why has that been so hard to recognize?If the draft board didn't offer the offensive talent we needed why not trade down to a spot where it did??

What evidence is there that 2018 draft will be any different?Forget the QBs or OL.Bowles/Mac will go all out for an edge rusher or corner.Hell why not back to back of either position 1st 2 rounds?!

#586 KurtTheJetsFan, Aug 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2017
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. Centiment

Centiment Well-Known Member

What we really need is a kicker who can hit 80 yard field goals - sorted. ;)

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

I'm in total agreement with you that Mac needs to massively upgrade the offense and OL by the end of the 2018 draft. If he doesn't, I do think there will be sufficient grounds/reasons for him to be fired.

9. NCJetsfan

Jim McMahon and the Bears won the 1986 SB too, but both of those happened in a totally different era. I don't think a rag arm QB can do that any more. Even if they can, I don't want to see one on the Jets.

10. While actions speak louder than words..I'm just so tired of the lack of conviction for a aspect of the game that is 100% about fortitude.

Whether it's hot air or not I need to hear loud & clear from the leadership that they recognize the offenses shear ineptitude & that fixing it is their #1 priority.I don't trust them to do the right thing on their own accord.Theyve proven too many times that they will not pass on highly regarded defensive talent no matter what the circumstances.

Cman68 likes this.
  11. NCJetsfan

If he fails to seriously address the offense during the next offseason, I think he has to go. No excuses.

12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

It hasn't since the 3-4 became a big time defense in the NFL, the Jets have allocated over a decade worth of draft picks pretty much to assemble that defense. The Coach must be one with the QB. I haven't seen the Jets actually develop a HC / QB pairing.

The scary thing is that there are some really good defensive players again this coming draft, but the Jets should be allocating all of their picks into the line and the QB. Running game perhaps as well. That's why I don't mind the Jets blowing it up and getting a head coach that can work with Mac, that will develop the offense.

Yes, I said it, perhaps we should keep Mac and let Bowles go. If this Chris Johnson guy doesn't know shit, perhaps he gives the GM the shot to hire a HC. We need to build the offense.

#592 101GangGreen101, Aug 21, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
    KurtTheJetsFan and FJF like this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

I wouldn't call Watson a "rag arm" by any stretch. But frankly I think way too little attention is paid to a "winner's mentality". Look at Tim Tebow - yes, yes, a terrible QB in most people's eyes, BUT...he DID beat the Jets in the playoffs and was a winner with the Broncos. I'm not saying that he would've gotten to a SB - especially with the Jets - but as bad as his mechanics were, he found ways to win. Take a QB with better mechanics and athleticism, who has also proven to be a winner - like Watson - and there's a great chance he can take a team to the championship given the right supporting cast. I just think that too many decisions are based on raw numbers at the expense of the intangibles.

westiedog1 likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

He's not a rag arm, but not that far from it, either. I don't want another weak-armed QB on the Jets, ever.

15. ColoradoContrails

I think you're being way too critical. That said, as the Jets are currently configured he wouldn't do well at first. But, if they built the team around him to his strengths, he would do well. The thing is that they've failed to do that EVER, except perhaps with Namath. And as long as they keep hiring defensive coaches as HC, they'll continue to screw up the QB development. Watson is lucky the Jets didn't take him.

westiedog1 likes this.
  16. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Buckle up boys and girls ,its only preseason it WILL GET MUCH WORSE once the games are for real ! Bowels incompetence will be magnified and the losses will be many .

tbruner12 likes this.
  17. joe

joe Well-Known Member

About your thread-hijacking, ball-washing non-Jet lust? Yes I did.

A comment? Fine. Repeated back-and-forth-and-back-and-forth posting about a non-Jet? Belongs in the 'National Football League' section.

www.chiefsplanet.com

18. ColoradoContrails

Sorry, still can't hear you. Perhaps if you removed your head from your ass it would help.

19. joe

joe Well-Known Member

You heard me just fine - keep trying fanboy.

www.chiefsplanet.com

20. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Steelers?