A Tanking Epidemic May Happen

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by forevercursed, Aug 21, 2017.

1. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

The Jets were the first to wave the white flag, which is fine. With the caliber of QB's potentially available in 2018 and the state of the team now, it's a necessary bitter pill to swallow to potentially secure a competitive future for the next 15 years. What's one more year if it lands us Darnold or Allen or Rosen or someone else who takes a huge leap forward.

Thing is a lot of other teams are thinking the same way. They haven't made it so obvious as we have, but looking at their QB situations now, if they get off to slow starts or get ravaged by injuries, you will see a lot of teams start pulling the plug

Buffalo - They will tank as well. They have also been searching for that elusive QB of the future, need a strong armed passer to cut through the wind there (Allen). Peterman is not the QB of the future, neither is Tyrod. Jordan Matthews may not even be ready to play week 1. The rest of their receivers are about as bad as ours.

Jacksonville - Ready to move on from Bortles who was never franchise QB material to begin with.

San Diego - Rivers is turning 36 this year and nearing the end. They just made an insane move to LA and play in some soccer dump. What could be better way generate buzz than draft a California kid like Darnold or Rosen to lead the Chargers in LA.

Miami (sleeper pick) - Tannehill is out for the season and many Dolphins fans have always doubted his ability to be a franchise QB. They picked up Cutler to try and desperately salvage the season. If things start off slow and Cutler is his usual brooding mess I don't think it would bother them to just let things collapse and get a new franchise QB.

Denver - Don't laugh. They know Semian isn't the man and Lynch is looking like a bust. They have a decent amount of talent though nothing like previous years. But this is a smart franchise and they know how to win. If they get off to a slow start...might as well give the ball to Lynch and ask the kid to embarrass themselves. I'm positive this has crossed Elways mind

49ers - They'll stink again too. So what they drafted CJ Beathard in the 4th, they know he's not the future.

boozer32 likes this.
  2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Gonna see some really inflated w/l records this year. I would think by week 4 we'll see who's really tanking and who's half ass tanking. Depending on what we see out of Hack/Petty, I'm pretty sure Macc isn't so stupid as to wait another year on Hack to finally "get it". Optimally, one of our youngsters takes that quantum leap and we don't need a new Qb. Reality says, we better make sure our asses are sitting in the top 3. That means no meaningless victories to make TB look better.

3. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

I'd say Buffalo, Miami and Jacksonville will challenge us for the first overall.

Buffalo's team is trash on both sides.

Miami's a joke.

Jacksonville doesn't know how to win games ever and they have no QB.

Will-I-Am-Not likes this.
  4. forevercursed

Cleveland is going to be up there too. Even though they're seemingly in love with Kizer now I really don't think he's going to be even a league average starter. They very well may have the chance to draft one of the top 3

5. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Thanks for reminding me of what a crap NFL season we're in for. :(

The only thing you left out was the 18-0 Pats.

zace, Jets69 and JetLifeLo like this.
  6. forevercursed

Us, the fish, and the bills won't even try to beat N.E. Not that we do anyway. This will be one of the easiest division titles ever. We've all conceded already.

Cman68 and Burnz like this.
  7. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

You guys are ridiculous. Buffalo has a defense equal to ours, and have the number one rush offense from last year, and a better qb.

Miami is trash? They made the friggin playoffs last year.

I can see the 49ers, and Jags competing for the first pick though.

stinkyB, Mogriffjr, Jets69 and 3 others like this.
  8. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

No, their defense is not. We had 31 more plays on defense last year and they gave up 233 more yards than us. Clutch. Also, our rush defense was actually good.

Miami is overrated as hell. They are stuck with a mediocre QB that had to be convinced by his wife to play football again. Ajayi is overrated. He had a few great games that inflated his numbers. He had a lot of shitty games too.

9. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

They were still a playoff team, and have more talent than the Jets do overall right now. The Bills regardless of what they do, have a lot of draft picks. That's what I would be more concerned with.

10. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

It's a concern. The Bills have a shitload of picks to move up too, as do the Browns. Even Pittsburgh and the Giants have to be planning for life after their guys. Practically the whole league could want in on the QB crop.

11. forevercursed

Pitt drafted Josh Dobbs but doubt they think he's the future. No way do they finish top 3 though. The only way that happens is if a team with a QB like Philly or Detroit somehow have awful luck or injuries and end up there. Then they may trade out of a top slot with Pitt or NYG

12. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Just curious, are you expecting the teams you named to start cutting quality players, bench their starters mid season or just to intentionally lose games?
    There are some bad teams in the league, some like miami who have been hit hard by injury but all have made moves to improve their rosters. Other than the Bills who have recently started to dismantle their roster, getting rid of quality young players , (cant figure the rationale there) I don't think any of those teams are tanking.
    If Brady goes down, Rodgers or Eli, would the Pat's,Saints or Giants be tanking?
    I think the term Tanking is getting used way too much. The Jets are the one team it could be applied to after the purge of almost all the veterans. But teams that are doing everything to compete are not tanking.

13. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Tank away. Secure a top 3 pick. Fire Bowles and Mac. Hire an offensive minded coach like Sean Payton. Draft the QB Payton wants. Cut ticket prices in half. Start the Jets' awakening.

nicg4360, stinkyB, TheJetLife and 3 others like this.
  14. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Doesn't matter.

I recall a season where we gave up a ton of yards but consistently kept teams out of the end zone. Bend but not break.

Points are what matter.

15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

This is stupid. NO TEAM IS TANKING. Stop the nonsense.

ColoradoContrails and TonyFtLaud like this.
  16. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Nice thought you got going on there in Candy Land.

Cman68 likes this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

No one is tanking. That said, there are a number of teams who could easily lose more than the Jets, which is a real concern.

Again, for all those who said "Wait until 2018 to draft our FQB instead of taking one this year", that was never a lock. You can't undo the past, but it sure would be nice if the Jets learned from it once in awhile.

boozer32 likes this.
  18. Beki

Beki Active Member

Guys, we don't even know how our defense will perform during regular season matches, so how we could compare us to Buffalo at the moment? We have a lot of new guys on D# side.

19. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Miami even with Tannenhill out is better than anyone in the East except the Pats of course. Moore is better than Cutler and they have a strong run game, nice receivers and defense is decent.

20. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I know the Jets are bad in all 3 phases of football right now. They built the team to fail and it will refect in the standings. My fear right now is they will do just enough to pick 7th and miss all the QB's. Plus Bowles is around to help the tank along. Sure wouldn't want to see him with the Jets next year.

ColoradoContrails likes this.