Preseason Game #2 Detroit Lions

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Aug 18, 2017.

1. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Here is what happened with Hack last night... On that first sack where he got destroyed, he was scanning the coverage, and should have shifted protection to the right side, but made a mistake didnt see it and got clobbered. After that, the offense got VERY conservative, which I think was a means to both let Hackenberg finish the half and come out of it in one piece. The play calling was too pedestrian to think otherwise. They basically setup handoffs and quick screens to Powell. When Hack dropped back it was in obvious passing situations and with short quick drops. He could never get into a flow, partly because of the playcalling, and just looked horrible. He is not as bad as that, but he has a LONG way to go to be ready to play in a real game.

As for Petty, I think the light has come on in his 3rd year. He seems to be getting better at adjustments at the line and shifting coverages. He seemed better at stepping up to avoid the blitz. When tape comes out in a few days its going to show he made some great reads and throws. He again showed he works through his progressions, doesnt lock onto a single target, and spreads the ball around, hitting 9 different receivers. He protected the ball, throwing it away or scrambling for a few when he had nothing.

Yes, he played against 2's and 3's, but he also successfully connected with guys like Miles White, Frankie Hammond and Gabe Marks who will not be on the roster in a few weeks. I think thats a wash and I'd like to see what he could do with the ones.

Bowles kind of shat on him again, but you could see Bates likes him, told him several times that he did a great job. His teammates like him too, guys like Sheldon coming up and giving him high fives. Petty is clearly ahead of Hack at this point and the best option for the Jets will be to give him more reps with the ones and prepare for Petty to be the opening day starter.

2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

^Petty sucks...

Freddy Mondo and PulseJet like this.
  3. I cannot remember in the last 20 years of following this team a time when this fan base was "sold" on any QB class.Think of all the names the team passed on that the fans wanted no part of that easily could've started for this team & outperformed the return we got from QBs in actuality.

There is segment of the fan base that either has too high of standards when evaluating college QBs or are too scared of the risk associated w taking one &I therefore holding an impossible standard as some sort of self defeating defense mechanism

At some point folks just need to come to grips that the team either shows conviction in a somewhat flawed QB prospect & pick their spot,draft one every year at the appropriate juncture or stop bitching about the QB spot all together & realize we likely aren't winning anything ever

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Great post. I couldn't agree more about Petty.

Hammond may still be on the team as the return man. Marks also has an outside shot at making the team, but I think he probably goes to the PS.

PulseJet likes this.
  5. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Well that settles it then.

6. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I think history will show im correct. In this age, everyone gets so hyped about getting the top qb in the draft, but that doesn't make them good. This just wasn't a good qb class.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

7. PulseJet

Its amazing. You would think people would be happy that one of these guys is improving and can potentially be a quality starter. And he was drafted by Mac, yes? Why would Mac care if his 4th round pick hits and his 2nd round pick misses?

8. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

It's a QB driven league, now more than ever. And these guys are so thoroughly scouted. Sometimes too much so where teams fall in love with 1 or 2 great pluses that could potentially lead to greatness and minimize the 4-5 negatives that could derail his career.

This year was the worst I've seen. Especially with Trubisky and Watson. Watson had a 49 exit velocity which is pathetic and then threw up a 20 wonderlic. That's not a starter folks

#528 forevercursed, Aug 20, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    101GangGreen101 and zace like this.
  9. PulseJet

Yeah, these guys could catch on, but not because they are quality receivers. They are bodies to fill a role. Also, first guy to shake Petty's hand after the game? Karl Dorrell, Wide Receivers Coach.

tbruner12 likes this.
  10. legler82

I always thought that Mahomes would have been perfect for the Jets. First of all, his skill set is ideal for the WCO. Like Favre the WCO provides the structure needed to curb their natural instinct to play backyard football. The second reason ironically is the same reason many have cited why he wouldn't have been a good pick for us, the lack of surrounding offensive talent. Mahomes spent his entire college career making chicken salad out of chicken shit. Unlike, Hack, Sanchez and even Geno he has a proven track record of not needing perfect conditions to be successful, in fact he thrives in the chaos.

#530 legler82, Aug 20, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  11. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

It's pretty safe to say they didn't play mccown to protect him while they played with the ol rotation against a good lions defense.
    What else makes sense?

12. legler82

Individual talent and fit not class should determine whether or not to draft a QB.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I really dont think you understand what was being said at all. I think you've latched on to one word and you're running with it. But none of the qbs in this draft, individually, are going to be good.

14. NCJetsfan

Hammond may not be great or have much potential, but I think Marks may. I believe he set the NCAA record for receptions. He was discounted because he's shorter, has short arms and small hands. He may not be able to hack it in the NFL, but I'm not counting him out yet. He had a ton of production in college.

PulseJet likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/08/which_jets_played_and_how_much_at_lions_snap_count.html

Which Jets played (and how much) at Lions? Snap count totals, observations

By Darryl Slater

dslater@njadvancemedia.com

NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

DETROIT -- The Jets on Saturday played their second preseason game -- a 16-6 loss at the Lions. Here is a look at the playing time breakdown, and what it means:

As you can see, the Jets are taking a long look at the right tackle, left tackle, and center competitions.

Ultimately, it would be a surprise if Kelvin Beachum didn't win the left tackle job over Ben Ijalana. But Could Brandon Shell beat out Brent Qvale, who has worked with the starters for most of the summer so far? At center, Jonotthan Harrison is (in somewhat of a surprise) giving Wesley Johnson a run for his money.

As the Jets search for receivers behind Robby Anderson, it looks like the coaches might be down on Charone Peake, who played just two snaps. Rookies Chad Hansen and ArDarius Stewart got a good deal more action than Peake, a second-year pro.

Defensively, the outside linebacker competition remains an interesting one. Jordan Jenkins is going to start at one spot. But Lorenzo Mauldin, a third-round draft pick in 2015, didn't play Saturday because of a sore back. He has done little to impress this summer, and throughout his career, for that matter. Could he get cut?

That depends on what the other outside linebackers show. Jets coach Todd Bowles got an extended look Saturday at Freddie Bishop, Corey Lemonier, and Josh Martin, as you can see in the snap count totals below.

OFFENSE

RT Brent Qvale 43 snaps, 73 percent

RT Brandon Shell 41, 69

OG Dakota Dozier 39, 66

QB Bryce Petty 38, 64

C Jonotthan Harrison 33, 56

LT Ben Ijalana 33, 56

WR Chad Hansen 33, 56

TE Jordan Leggett 23, 39

QB Christian Hackenberg 21, 36

LG James Carpenter 20, 34

RG Brian Winters 20, 34

LT Kelvin Beachum 19, 32

C Wesley Johnson 19, 32

TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins 19, 32

WR Robby Anderson 19, 32

WR Jalin Marshall 19, 32

WR Gabe Marks 19, 32

RB Bilal Powell 18, 31

WR ArDarius Stewart 17, 29

RB Elijah McGuire 14, 24

RB Jordan Todman 13, 22

WR Frankie Hammond 12, 20

TE Chris Gragg 12, 20

WR Myles White 11, 19

WR Chris Harper 11, 19

TE Jason Vander Laan 10, 17

TE Eric Tomlinson 9, 15

FB Anthony Firkser 9, 15

RB Marcus Murphy 8, 14

OT Javarius Leamon 7, 12

WR Kenbrell Thompkins 7, 12

OG Craig Watts 7, 12

OT Jeff Adams 7, 12

OG Ben Braden 7, 12

RB Romar Morris 6, 10

FB Julian Howsare 4, 7

WR Charone Peake 2, 3

DEFENSE

MLB Demario Davis 37, 56

ILB Darron Lee 37, 56

CB Juston Burris 37, 56

CB Buster Skrine 37, 56

CB Morris Claiborne 37, 56

S Jamal Adams 37, 56

S Marcus Maye 37, 56

OLB Jordan Jenkins 32, 48

CB Dexter McDougle 29, 44

S Ronald Martin 29, 44

OLB Corey Lemonier 29, 44

OLB Freddie Bishop 27, 41

DE Claude Pelon 25, 38

OLB Dylan Donahue 23, 35

ILB Bruce Carter 21, 32

OLB Josh Martin 21, 32

CB Darryl Roberts 21, 32

CB Marcus Williams 21, 32

DE Lawrence Thomas 18, 27

DE Leonard Williams 18, 27

ILB Julian Stanford 17, 26

DE Sheldon Richardson 16, 24

DE Muhammad Wilkerson 16, 24

S Shamarko Thomas 15, 23

S Rontez Miles 14, 21

ILB Spencer Paysinger 12, 18

NT Deon Simon 12, 18

NT Mike Pennel 11, 17

NT Steve McLendon 10, 15

CB Derrick Jones 8, 12

CB David Rivers 8, 12

ILB Connor Harris 8, 12

DE Patrick Gamble 5, 8

DE Anthony Johnson 1, 2

Did Shell or Qvale play at positions other than RT last night? If not, the Star Ledger needs to go back to elementary school, because 73% & 69% don't equal 100%.

16. ChrebetCrunch

ChrebetCrunch Well-Known Member

Take your fascist liberal horseshit to a political thread. I don't care who was protesting, and for what reason. Silencing a protest is as fascist as it gets.

17. legler82

Not sure if any of you are soccer fans, but I equate Mahomes to Clint Dempsey. Through the course of a game he will do somethings leaving you scratching your head but the dude is a loaded with talent, uber competitive and a gamer; that's Mahomes in a nutshell IMO. When trying to explain what separates Dempsey from other players, USMNT coach Bruce Arena once simply said "...he tries shit". At some point, we have to stop trying to find the perfect QB prospect from the well known school, pro-style scheme and ideal mechanics, and settle for the talented, uber competitive gamer who " ...tries shit".

18. legler82

You're the expert!

19. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Most analysts and experts agreed with me before the draft.

20. NCJetsfan

We have a QB now (Petty) who has some of those same traits and you hate him. He's not as young or as good as Mahomes, but he has a very good arm, has that gunslinger mentality, but we don't have the right CS or HC for that. I'd be willing to be that's one of the reasons Petty has been at the bottom of the depth chart (He is aggressive and tries shit that the ultra conservative HC can't stand). Between Bowles and our OL, Mahomes would probably be in the same position as Petty...on the outside looking in.

PulseJet and Cman68 like this.