Preseason Game #2 Detroit Lions

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Aug 18, 2017.

1. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

Do you mean ever, or just in the foreseeable future?

2. ChrebetCrunch

ChrebetCrunch Well-Known Member

After watching last night's game, it's clear that McCown is going to be the starter, Petty is going to come off the bench when McCown gets hurt, and Hackenberg needs another season as the inactive QB. It may take a few years, or never, but Hackenberg is not ready for 2017.

NYJ79, tbruner12, Cman68 and 2 others like this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Ijalana probably is a better RT than LT, but the problem is that neither Shell nor Qvale can play LT.

Red Menace likes this.
  4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I must admit there's a part of me that wants to see Hack start a real game out of morbid curiosity.

legler82, tbruner12 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  5. ChrebetCrunch

ChrebetCrunch Well-Known Member

We'll be seeing Hack at some point in the season. we'll be 1-7 or 0-8 by that time.

6. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

It's pre season. Qb is not the only position being evaluated. I more concerned with ol then any position because if we can't run and pass block does not matter who qb is. I am gonna just let this one go and move on. Besides I expect a lousy offense regardless of pre season.

legler82 and tbruner12 like this.
  7. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Hope springs eternal for those that want Hackenberg...terrible at PSU and suxs today...bad draft pick ...let's move on

Does Petty have more of an upside? When we get legit FQB I would lean towards keeping BP over Sackenberg

McCown might keep us in some games but not a lot

Overall a painful experience to watch last night

With all the injuries on Offense do we give Morton a pass for game calling???

Our big weapon is B Powell...he will be worked into the ground or injured..oh well

tbruner12 likes this.
  8. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Jests offensive line

[​IMG]

Burnz and tbruner12 like this.
  9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Who is injured on offense that would have made a difference last nite?
    Detroits corners played up and the line couldn't run block leaving too many 3rd and longs for WRs that can't get open and a line that can't block long enough for the WRs to get up field.

tbruner12 likes this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'm not saying that Mahomes has proven that he's ready to be a starter, but he's waaaaaaay closer than Hack is, and even closer than Petty. Are you really saying that you wouldn't love having Mahomes on this team right now?

legler82, tbruner12 and Big Cat like this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

I'm not ready to give up on Hack...yet - after all, last night was really only his third time playing in a real game in the pros. But I seriously doubt that he's the long-awaited FQB the Jets have been looking for. It makes me even more angry and frustrated that they "red-shirted" him last year, and didn't at least throw him out there to see what they had in him. Now another year is lost. The only "silver lining" is that this should open the door for Petty to finally get a serious chance to succeed. I'm not saying he will, but he at least deserves the chance to.

The draft can't come soon enough.

tbruner12 likes this.
  12. Jetsfan125

Jetsfan125 Active Member

Petty is ready. Give the boy a chance. Petty would've had a pretty good game had Leggit not dropped that TD.

PulseJet, tbruner12 and Cman68 like this.
  13. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

No, Mahomes is on a team with an established offensive scheme, with a HC that can be an excellent mentor to him.

Mahomes on the Jets with a different offensive scheme that guys are still learning, with a below average defensive minded HC and average skilled position at OL, WR, TE, and RB position, he would not make a difference.

NCJetsfan, 101GangGreen101 and FJF like this.
  14. ColoradoContrails

Maybe not this year, but he would be a much better building block than what they have.

15. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Idk, when you can avoid an unblocked defender and make a full sprint, cross body throw to a receiver who is barely open in your 2nd preseason game despite coming out of a spread offense in college, I'd say your future looks pretty bright.

legler82 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

When under pressure, Mahomes looks exactly like he did at Texas Tech. Hack looked exactly like he did at Penn St.

I'm starting to think that playing under pressure is an instinct that can't be taught and probably the most important trait to look for in college QBs.

17. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Interesting you say that, one of the things that Mike Shannahan said he liked about Mahomes if he were evaluating him as a possible selection, was his instincts to scramble and not look to run, but scramble and keep his eyes downfield to extend the play and give receivers a chance to make a play.

Shannahan said those instincts cannot be taught he either has it or he doesn't.

Mahommes has them.

18. ColoradoContrails

Cannizaro's column pinpoints one of Bowles's major failings: he rigidly sticks to his decisions, no matter what. Good coaches adapt. Good coaches are flexible. After Hack's terrible first half, why not let him go out after having a chance to regroup in the locker room and see if he couldn't get something going to build upon? Honestly, it's almost like NC says: Bowles WANTS Hack to fail. If that's realy true, then Macc ought to fire Bowles right now. After all, this season is already lost.

Red Menace and matt robinson 17 like this.
  19. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Thats many coaches failings. Its stupid to me. If running into the wall isnt working, go around it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Red Menace likes this.
  20. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Do us a favor and take your thread-hijacking, Mahome ball-washing to the "National Football League" section please?