Preseason Game #2 Detroit Lions

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Aug 18, 2017.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

haven't heard much lately but he started camp pretty good.
    plus he has a cool name, schamarko.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/08/7_jets_to_watch_vs_lions_including_marcus_maye_and.html

7 Jets to watch vs. Lions, including Marcus Maye and Jordan Leggett
    Posted August 19, 2017 at 07:30 AM | Updated August 19, 2017 at 07:31 AM

By Connor Hughes | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
    Which Jets should you keep an eye on against the Lions? Here are seven, including rookies Marcus Maye and Jordan Leggett.

Which Jets should you be watching?
    And the preseason rolls out.

The Jets will travel to Detroit — their only true road game of August — to face the Lions on Saturday. Since this is their the second exhibition game, the starters figure to play a quarter, with some staying in for part of the second. Outside of that, though, backups will dominate the snap counts.

As is the case each week, the quarterbacks will be the center of attention. As was the case last week, coach Todd Bowles didn't name a starter heading into the game. Darryl Slater has more on that here. But if you care about positions other than quarterback, this report is for you.

Here are seven non-QBs, including rookies Marcus Maye and Jordan Leggett, to keep an eye on.

JULIAN STANFORD, linebacker
    Darron Lee and Demario Davis are the starters right now, but Stanford has been (arguably) more impressive than both in the training camp. He continued that strong play against the Titans in the Jets' preseason opener. He had a couple really nice plays against the run, and a bone-crushing sack on backup quarterback Alex Tanney.

If Stanford keeps this up, he could challenge for a top spot on the depth chart.

DEXTER MCDOUGLE, cornerback
    A third-round pick by ex-Jets GM John Idzik, Dexter McDougle has been a bit of a disappointment. He doesn't have an interception in three years, and is currently on the roster bubble. McDougle has had moments in camp, but needs to show it in a game. He'll have an opportunity against the Titans.

JORDAN LEGGETT, tight end
    Austin Seferian-Jenkins is the Jets' starting tight end, but he's suspended the first two games of the year. Leggett figures to fill in while he's gone.

Leggett has had moments in camp, but didn't do much in the preseason opener. He needs to show he's a reliable option. Otherwise, the Jets may give his reps to Chris Gragg or Jason Vander Laan.

JALIN MARSHALL, receiver
    Like Seferian-Jenkins, Jalin Marshall will also serve a suspension to start the year (four games). Unlike Seferian-Jenkins, Marshall hasn't been good in training camp.

The wideout has struggled immensely holding onto the ball, and hasn't made as many impact plays as he did as a rookie. He'll stick around as insurance to start the year — suspended players don't count against the 53-man roster — but he's no guarantee once he's reinstated. Marshall needs to show he can be a reliable option in the passing game.

MARCUS MAYE, safety
    Maye is starting to come into his own. The Florida product is showing in camp — quite regularly — the ballhawking tendencies which led to his second-round selection in this year's draft. Maye didn't play much in the preseason opener (he's a starter). He'll play more against the Lions. Will his strong camp play translate to a game?

BILAL POWELL, running back
    Powell returned to practice this week after injuring his neck on Aug. 4. Coach Todd Bowles said he'll play against the Lions. The question? Will he stay healthy? Powell has had durability concerns throughout his career. The Jets need him healthy throughout the 2017 season, or the offense — especially with Matt Forte still dealing with a hamstring issue — could be in trouble.

JAMAL ADAMS, safety
    Jamal Adams said he wasn't happy when coaches removed him from the Titans game so early. He's used to playing quite a bit. The whole in-and-out preseason situation was new to him.

In his limited reps, Adams showed some good.. and some bad. He was physical and flashed his tremendous closing speed, but also played the wrong gap which led to decent Derrick Henry run in the first quarter. He's still a rookie. He'll take his lumps. The Jets just hope he continues to get better.

Will he against the Lions? That's to be determined. But he'll play a bit longer, so that should make him happy.

3. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Okay, lol. I think of Sharknado with him, and when I look at R. Martin I think of Marcus Coleman so I get greedy. Guess we'll get to see the next two games between them.

#23 Walt White, Aug 19, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    FJF likes this.
  4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Excited for the game tonight, but was thinking it was 1 year ago I was at Fed Ex Field for Jets-Redskins.

Jets on the team that day:
    -Ryan Fitzpatrick (I wore his jersey to game)
    -Geno Smith
    -Nick Mangold
    -Darrelle Revis
    -David Harris
    -Brandon Marshall
    -Eric Decker
    -Quincy Enunwa
    -Nick Folk

Now 1 year later: All gone. Here I stand in my green and white though. Good luck to the young guns tonight, but a lot can change in 1 year.

Red Menace and sec314 like this.
  5. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

If he is that big, can you imagine how much booze he had to drink to get loaded...ahah

Play this beast!!!!!

6. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

From what I hear Todd Bowles is attempting to motivate the players for big tilt tonight by renting a movie theater so the whole gang can watch "Detroit"

7. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I think 6 CB and 4 S will be kept, which has been par for the course.

CB: Claiborne, Williams, Skrine, Burris.........the last 2 come down to McDougle, Roberts and Jones
    You have to keep Williams imo, as insurance for Claiborne getting injured, or Burris not working out. He's a decent, versatile player.
    Jones I don't think is ready to play CB. His best path to the 53 is specials (where he's interesting), while developing CB skills.
    McDougle i like for the potential to play inside or outside, and the coaches have spoken well of Roberts. We might not suck as much at CB as I initially thought, as long as Claiborne stays healthy.

Safety: Adams, Maye, Miles, and Martin
    Miles I think is best playing a 3 Safety role, which Bowles likes to do. More of a box player. He's also great on specials, which is critical for a backup S.
    Martin looked good last game, and has some versatility. Sharmarko I haven't seen play yet, but with that name I'm intrigued lol

Good point on OL. We got a RT and C competition going on..
    I like Shell and Qvale. Hopefully one separates. I also want to see Qvale play a little Guard this preseason. He might be a better backup G than Dozier.
    C I'm a little worried about, so will be watching.

Red Menace, Walt White and Mogriffjr like this.
  8. Walt White

Jonothan Harrison got some snaps at Center last week. It looks like a good competition for the top 8/9 guys. I'm looking at Johnson as well. If I remember correctly we both expressed doubt about Johnson last preseason, but I think Johnson progressed as the season went along.
    I think there's a chance that the OL can be a little better than people think so I'm interested in how it comes together there.

Red Menace likes this.
  9. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I hope you are right about OL.
    I'll admit they make me a little nervous....especially considering our QB situation.

last year i was ok with Johnson as a developing backup.
    but as the starter I don't know yet.... Harrison I figured was just a poor journeyman cast off with a misspelled first name, but he's a big guy with some upside. We shall see.

10. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Any chance of hack starting tbe first game would be from tonight. Would have to blow tbe coaches away. If he sucks it's over. Is everyone gonna give up on him on this site if he plays like shit? Man I hope he goes 11-16 with 2 Td and 180 yards in tbe air. Not holding my breath but man I really don't wanna see mccown behind center in buff. When we played him I had no respect for him. That said if hack ain't ready gonna accept and root for the guy. Maybe he can pull a 2015 Fitz.

11. Walt White

Yeah, it's definitely a concern. I should stress I think it has a chance to be okay. But there's questions for sure. Johnson, or somebody, needs to play good C, while making smart line calls

12. FJF

Alright, time for hack to take another step.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  13. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Bowles on CBS said Hack will start, Bryce gets the 2nd half.

What?? I guess they're really confident McCown is ready when called on.

14. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

A whole game of Hack and Petty! Perfect!

NYJFOREVER, FJF and NY Jets68 like this.
  15. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

That's... Puzzling.

16. FJF

bowles gaining my confidence back

17. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Looks like he might've set the wrong protection. Not good.

HomeoftheJets and NYJFOREVER like this.
  18. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

JFC Unblocked

19. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Or Shell just sucks, why isn't Ijalana playing RT?

20. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

nice start ...