When will they name McCown the starter?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

No, no, no. That makes too much sense.

JetLifeLo likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Regardless of how many games he starts and/or plays in, I think that unless Hack clearly demonstrates that he has progressed to the point where he will be a quality starter and FQB, the Jets have to take a QB high in the next draft. I don't think they'd give up on Hack. They could continue working with him and let the two of them compete for the starting job. I'd say Petty could too, but by that point, he probably would have had so few reps that it would be pointless, as he wouldn't have any chance.

They'll increase the chances that at least one of them will develop, that they'd finally have their FQB, and will have great depth. If they both develop, great. They can eventually trade one of them for a high draft pick.

I don't think they would need to sign a veteran QB. They'd have Hack who would have 2 years experience in the league, Petty who would have 4 years experience and knows the system, and the rookie.

3. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, I agree that McCown will likely be named the starter. I think its a bad decision because (i) the future is not McCown, (ii) the Jets are very unlikely to get to the playoffs this year and (iii) they really need to evaluate Hack to figure out what they have with him. If you're not expecting to go to the playoffs and if Hack understands the offense then there's absolutely no reason to start McCown.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

No reason to name a Starting QB til after the 3rd Preseason game. McCown had 1 drive that was aided by a personal foul penalty. Hack played a couple quarters with a safe game plan. Let's see what happens Game 2 and 3. As for Petty, I love the guy, but he doesn't seem to be in the race. I wouldn't be shocked if he was cut even.

5. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I predict he will be named as the starter less than four games before he is put on season-ending IR.

Big Cat likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I would be extremely shocked if they cut Petty. To begin with McCown hasn't played an entire season in something like 8 years. He's older and injury-prone. Secondly, our OL is questionable at best. Third, and perhaps most importantly, Petty really hasn't been given a chance to compete in TC. It's been a farce. He has a ton of talent. He has a much better completion percentage than Hack and has the same number of TDs in a lot fewer reps. His completion percentage is close to McCown, and I think he has only 1 less TD throw, again in a lot fewer reps. Fourth, with cuts happening all at once right before the season begins, it would make zero sense to cut Petty, who can play, is cheap and knows the offense, and bring someone in who doesn't know the offense and would have no chance to build any kind of chemistry or timing with the receiving corps. If they cut Petty, they should be shot and not just fired.

Cman68 and The Dark Knight like this.
  7. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

according to what i read, it was implied that mckown will start the opener and that hack will eventually start during the season.

8. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I think it would be insane to start with only 2 QBs as you said McCown doesn't stay healthy. makes no sense to cut petty. I don't expect him to be active for any game barring injury, but no reason to take him off the roster

9. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

LOL good point.
    It might have been a blessing in disguise. You can't teach him what they don't know.

10. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Maybe they're waiting to see if the O-line can actually hold up against real competition.....