When will they name McCown the starter?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Aug 15, 2017.

1. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

I'm guessing after the pre season game this week. Thoughts?

2. LV Coach

LV Coach Well-Known Member

I don't think they will name him the starter before the first season's game. Just to keep the other teams in the dark. That's the best way to keep up the competition between Hack and Petty.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Petty gets like 2 snaps a day in practice. What competition?

4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

My guess would be next week

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

We'd better hope it's not for another couple weeks, because you know that once Bowles declares McCown the starter, Hack and Petty will get no more reps with the first team.

ColoradoContrails and Cman68 like this.
  6. FJF

Yea. Petty will be relegated to scout team and hack will get the 2nds. Inevitable though, Bowles will want to make mccown before ps game 3

Cman68 likes this.
  7. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

It doesn't really matter - by week 4 Hack or Petty will be in there anyway.

8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Hack lights it up this preseason game, it'll open the door for conversation ... unfortunately expecting McCown to start wk1.

Not giving up tho, I want Hack to be out there wk1

9. SackExchange69

SackExchange69 Well-Known Member

I don't think other teams need to be left in the dark to win.

10. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Since Bowles has been saying after the third preseason game, I'm guessing after the third preseason game.

When will Jethro make another pointless post? I'm guessing too soon

11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I believe they will wait until after the 3rd game.
    But our starter, most likely McCown, will get the first half on that game.
    The biggest indictment on the incompetence of last years OC staff (Gailey, Patulo) and yes even Bowles was highlighted by Morton today. He said "Hack is essentially a rookie, and making great strides"
    Read " Those numb nuts wasted All of last year by giving Hack esssentially no practice"
    IMO had they done last year what Morton is doing now , instead of fucking around with Fitz, we could have our starter ready to rock and roll now. That is a fucking wasted year for our entire team. Further more the nameless coach that said Hack couldn't hit the ocean was a freaking moron.
    We no doubt needed coaches with vision and brain, not mediocre old fashion mechanics.

12. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Jethro TROLL, strikes again!

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I read those articles, and hear what you're saying, but I'm glad those numbnuts didn't mess with Hack's mechanics. In all likelihood, they would have either taught him the wrong thing or would have taught it in a negative way that it would have torn down his confidence, rather than building it up. In addition, I think he needed a year to clear his head from the pounding and the BS he endured his last two seasons at PSU.

14. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

There's really no need to state the obvious is there? There is NO competition for starting Qb, none for backup, none for PS. There never was any competition. If Petty is stupid enough to think he ever had a shot, then he deserves his Uber job. They've been gassing Hack up and protecting his "ego" so much that you'd think Hack was sitting behind a future HOF Qb. Perhaps TB and Mac think the rest of the football world buys into their bullshit but anyone could see what really was going on. Bowles is coaching for his job, not for the future. Mac needs Hack to become a FQb to justify his decision to draft him that high. Not launching rockets here..

matt robinson 17 and Jets69 like this.
  15. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Good call. Jethro Pew has struck again

Jets69 likes this.
  16. FJF

Keep the faith bro.hack got more reps than mccown again today. Tide is shifting but not sure it will be in time. I'm less upset about mccown now though that I have seen some of hack and see they have a vision and a plan on developing him.
    Hack may not start the season but he probably will finish it.

17. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Bowles will probably flip a quarter in the air ...Heads for Hackenberg starting, tails its McCown.

If the coin rolls away and Bowles loses it , Petty is starting..

Hey...dont you guys know how things work around the store????

18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

The tide is shifting, a little later then we anticipated, but it's shifting. I just don't want Bowles to put him out there at like week 5 or 6. I think the Jets need to see a full body of work when it comes to Hack. So for example, the Jets give Hack a look [lets say week 5 or 6], but still end up with a record bad enough to draft a QB. Do they just give up on Hack and start over? Perhaps the Jets could get themselves into a Brees-Rivers like situation, but I would be pissed if the Jets signed another vet to "mentor" the new guy with Hack on the roster, so then he loses out on reps.

FJF likes this.
  19. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Hopefully Hack can put some doubt in Bowles mind this week. McCown was obviously better week 1, but like we've all been saying in the offseason, if the competition is close, you gotta give it to Hack.

JetLifeLo likes this.
  20. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

hopefully they don't. let hack work. McCown doesn't even fit in with what we are doing. He should be nothing more than a mentor.

We have a team full of young guys on small deals or rookie deals, and mo wilk. Hack should be in there playing with his peers. If all fails, that's a good thing.. we go into the draft looking for our QB with an awesome pick.

I can see McCown winning a few games too many which really wouldnt benefit us at all. If Hack wins it's cool, we want him to win, we want him to develop. We want him to be our guy, not McCown. McCown winning just adds more years of "who is our QB"

Peebag likes this.