No playmakers, bad OL, no QB, terrible HC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Aug 8, 2017.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Ilthe problem is you are grading them on a curve relative to where they were drafted and not on a pass/fail basis that is the true measure of good player/bad player.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I hear ya! I'm hoping that it will be better than we think, but I'm not expecting a whole lot. Mac HAS to invest several higher draft picks on the OL next season, or sign some quality starting OL who are younger in FA, or both. If he doesn't, then I don't think I want him around continuing to run the drafts or hiring the next HC.

That's why it will be SO huge if Hack develops and proves he is our QB of the future and Petty is the backup. Mac should then be able to either grab the Jets' future LT with their first pick or trade down, get our future LT and an additional pick. He can then add in the draft whatever he wasn't able to in FA. That is the draft where solely looking at BPA must go out the window or be balanced strongly with need. Carpenter may be gone after this season. Even if not, his replacement needs to be secured and groomed. Shell and/or Qvale could prove woefully inadequate at RT. If so, then their replacement should be added. If Johnson or Harrison don't get the job done at C, then a new C should be added.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

Players are taken in the 7th round as opposed to the first round for a reason. They are not expected to be as good, as athletic, or as fast as first-round picks. For fans to think that they should be is unrealistic and setting yourself up for constant frustration and disappointment.

They are expected to develop and become as good as they can. That's all that can be asked of them. I'm sure that Simon is doing that. If/When the Jets can replace him with a better player, I'm sure they will. But for a 7th round draft pick, he has been plenty good. None of the Jets NTs have gotten much pressure on opposing QBs over the last several years. They have been primarily, if not exclusively, run stoppers. That's why Snacks was allowed to go to the Giants.

I'm sure that if Mac can add an NT at some point that can be a solid run stopper AND provide good, consistent pressure on opposing QBs, he will.

4. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Except he did. is it his fault? no but don't you remember the series of events?

chad comes in game 4 of the 2002 season. plays lights out and is rewarded with a huge contract. looks like we finally found our franchise QB. 2003, 2004, 2005. he struggles and gets hurt. never plays a full season. 2005 was the icing with a torn rotator cuff. franchise is ready to give up on him. brees is playing so good in SD that rumor is jets will trade for rivers. Brees also blows out his throwing shoulder, chargers decide to let him walk and run with rivers. Now the jets have 1 QB with a bum shoulder eating a bunch of cap, they want brees but can't take the chance on having 2 high paid QBs with bum shoulders. he winds up signing with NO. chad never recovers. in 2006 he does play every game but looks like a shell of himself. 2007 he only plays half the games and doesn't look good. we let him walk he goes to miami plays 1 good season in 2008 then 2009 and 2010 injuries and ends his career. Meanwhile brees goes on to have a HOF career, win a SB, and break records.

So yeah it was a huge blow to the franchise, not chad's fault but it did set up back. imagine if we had brees at QB all these years

5. NCJetsfan

He didn't set it back. That's ridiculous. If it's not his fault, then he didn't set it back. It was just typical Jets bad luck that was created and compounded by Bradway's not building a solid OL to protect Chad. It's was Bradway's stupid draft picks that set this team back. It was Woody's stupidly keeping Bradway as head of scouting after he fired him as GM. Woody and Bradway are what set or held back this franchise.

6. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

that is today's report via optimist.com:rolleyes:

either we are tanking on purpose and you root for close games, player progress and few wins,

OR you ask your m.d. for a rx for hallucinagenic drugs.:mad:

7. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

It is. Played one pre season game and one of the so called super star safeties did not play. How long have u been following this team. U act like it's your first year believing all tbe jet hype coming out of training camp. Every year we hear this crap and that's how they fool some people. I take what tbe media writes and tbe coaches say in pre season with a grain of salt.

8. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Thanks for ruining my lunch

9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

A grain? I take it with a bunch of grains,stuck to the rim of a glass,containing tequila as I start self medicating before the season starts

sec314 likes this.
  10. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Like i said not his fault, but the situation of him getting hurt was a huge set back to us any way you look at it. I never blamed chad, i just said his injury set back the franchise.