No playmakers, bad OL, no QB, terrible HC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Aug 8, 2017.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

wow so insightful and full of details

2. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

You basically cited that a draft wasnt good due to the following GM not being able to handle contracts....

3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

not at all.
    abraham - always hurt so we traded him away
    Ellis - great pick
    Chad - always hurt, really set the franchise back.
    becht - bust
    coles - talented but was a whiney bitch. left for more money, then wanted to come back so we traded to get him back. his best years were with the skins anyway
    the rest were also busts

Sure the injuries were bad luck, and sure we were able to turn abraham into mangold so great job there. but again we had 4 1st round picks. it's hard to fuck up a draft when you have 4 shots at grabbing elite talent.

plus that draft was stacked. 13 of the top 20 players made probowls. we had 3 picks in those top 20.

4. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Like you said, injuries are bad luck.... It's not like they willingly drafted Dee Milliner or McDougal.

Ellis: yes, very solid pick
    Abe: yes he had his issues (mostly due to maturity) but explosive playmaker that was parlayed into another 1st rd pick that became Nick Mangold (I'd say that's pretty good ROI) JETS havent had that kind of pass rusher since.... but turned him into an all-pro center
    Chad: yes, Injuries were a damn shame, as we all saw the potential there, but doesnt change the fact that it was a good pick ( never had injury history like guys mentioned above)
    Becht: meh, not worth a 1st as he couldnt catch a cold, but could plow people out of the way for Curtis Martin.....and sadly this team hasn't had anyone better since (hopefully ASJ should change that)
    Coles: c'mon, GREAT pick in the 3rd rd...... of course he left for more $. Bradway shouldn't have even let it get to that point in the first place.

If it wasnt for Chad's injuries that probably wouldve been 4 pro bowl players in their 1st five picks...... and the reason why Herm was able to fool people into thinking he was a competent coach

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Lorenzo is probably gonna get cut. Donahue, Martin, Jenkins, Beltre and Bishop are all having better TCs and offseason practices than he is. Based on the reports I've read they're getting many more 1st team reps than he is.

He was a 7th round pick and is a solid backup and part of the rotation, and is even pushing the starter. He was a 7th rounder for a reason, and most 7th rounders don't even make it on an NFL team. He can still improve and polish his skills some, but probably is playing about as well as he can. I doubt there's any stepping up that he can do or needs to do.

6. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

Agree!!! Couldn't have said it better!

7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I hope your right

8. NCJetsfan

I disagree with your first two paragraphs.

In 2015, his rookie season, he was saddled with Bradway and the prior scouting dept. Woody wanted a playoff team. If I'm right that Woody wouldn't let Mac begin the rebuild at that time, then the 2015 draft should be viewed with those factors in mind. Still, he got Williams and Simon, and they knew that Petty would be a project. I think Mac's draft shouldn't be judged until the 2016 draft after he had re-shaped the scouting and pro personnel depts. Among the UDFAs Mac signed were Julian Howsare and Taiwan Jones. Jones is currently on the Bills.

Lee was leading all rookies in tackles when he was injured last season. He was adjusting to the NFL and learning a new position. He has already shown flashes of what he is capable of doing. Hack was a project. Jenkins started as a rookie and played well down the stretch. He is a solid starter. Burris was only a 4th round pick, but learned quickly and Rodgers has said that he should have played him a lot more last season. Shell was starting by the end of the year and did well, and was only a 5th round pick. Edwards was a 7th round pick and has a very strong leg. So he was inconsistent. Most rookies are. The Jets don't have a great STs coach, so I think the kid deserves some slack. Charone Peake was a steal in the 7th round and contributed as a rookie. Further, Mac added Robbie Anderson, Lawrence Thomas, Doug Middleton, Claude Pelon, and Jason Vander Laan as UDFAs last season. We know what Anderson contributed. Thomas had made the team and was part of the DL rotation until he was injured. He is playing at a high level in camp again this year and is likely to make the team, unless one of the veterans FAs that Mac signed beats him out. Doug Middleton was signed to the PS and wound up playing late last season. Pelon showed flashes in camp last year and is doing well in camp again this year. Vander Laan was a QB converting to TE and showed so much potential that he made the Jets' PS. The Jets' CS supposedly love him, and he's probably a lock to make the PS, if not the roster this season. As you said, he signed ASJ, Josh Martin, Whitehead, Pennel, Harper, Daryl Roberts and Bruce Carter, most of whom contributed last season. ASJ could wind up a star, Martin is an excellent STs player and could wind up starting at OLB. Pennel is a very talented NT. Roberts and Carter are pretty decent backups.

Out of the 2017 draft, Adams and Maye will be starters this season, and probably both will be stars. Once Stewart gets healthy, he should be a good contributor this season, if not a starter. Chad Hansen needs some development, but has a lot of potential. Jordan Leggett was a steal in the 5th round, and will probably be a big contributor this season. Dylan Donahue was another 5th round pick, who could be an absolute steal and gem. He could easily wind up a starter once he learns coverages, and in the interim, will probably be the Jets designated pass rusher. Anything they get from Elijah McGuire, Jeremy Clark, and Derrick Jones this season will be gravy. UDFAs he signed this season are Xavier Coleman (who has a lot of potential, but is injured and on IR), Connor Harris (who will probably make the team, be a backup, and could be starting by the end of the season), Brisley Estime (a great returner, who unfortunately was injured early and is on IR), Anthony Firkser (who could wind up the team's new starting FB), Gabe Marks (who has a chance to make at least the PS if not the roster), Javarious Leamon who has a shot to make the PS, and Patrick Gamble (who is making some plays in TC, and I think got a sack in the 1st preseason game).

In addition, Mac has brought in Beltre and Bishop at OLB, both of whom have an excellent chance at making the team and possibly starting. He signed Frankie Hammond who could make the team as the PR/KR over Whitehead because he can contribute on offense. He has brought in a lot of young players this season who are making plays in TC, impressing the coaches, increased/improved competition at almost every position on the team, which should pay dividends, and should make cuts a lot harder this year.

Some of you guys expect too much too soon and take too much for granted.

SOJAZ likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

Me too! LOL Maybe it's just too much optimism, but I have a different feeling in my gut about Mac and the team's fortunes. I can't explain it, although I like a lot of the things he has done that some of you don't or don't give him credit for, but I think he is building a good team, and will develop into a very, very good GM for us.

#109 NCJetsfan, Aug 14, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  10. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Marty Schott is 5-11 in playoffs and never made the super bowl with super talented teams. Marty ball makes Herm look like Mike Martz. . I very much disagree with your example:)

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Draft position means nothing once you are in the NFL. You either become a contributor or you are gone.

FJF likes this.
  12. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Hey man, you have to make a hell of a lot of trips to the playoffs to have that many one-and-dones!

sec314 likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

You're wrong. Draft position tempers expectations. Most 7th rounders don't make teams. They aren't expected to become stars or starters overnight, if at all. If they find a gem that does become a star or starter, all the better, but at that point in the draft, they're looking for depth or someone who can contribute on STs, or they like someone who is a project who over time could possibly develop into something.

Simon has become a contributor and a very good one. Your saying that he needs to step up is ridiculous.

14. 101GangGreen101

From the eyes of a fan like yourself, it might "temper expectations", but as a PLAYER or a COACH in the NFL, draft position don't mean jack shit the minute you get on the field. From there on it's about proving your worth.

Yes, Simon needs to step up. He should not be satisfied with his play, he maybe happy that he's in the league, but to be a long-term contributor, Simon needs to put more work in.

15. NCJetsfan

This is BS. As Solid Gold said, the Jets had 4-first round picks in the 2000 draft. No draft could or should be able to measure up to that.

Mac has yet to accomplish 2-3 good players per draft. To begin with you're comparing his drafts in hindsight with experienced GMs, and it hasn't been 3 years yet on any of his drafts. Second of all, he had Williams and Simon his first draft in 2015, and we already know that both are good players.

16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

you need to raise your standards in general if you think Deon Simon has been a very good contributor.

I honestly had to look up the stats because I don't remember a single play in his time here but I guess he had a sack in the meaningless finale last year against EJ Manuel. 1 career sack does not make him a very good contributor in my standards

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

Your comment that Chad set the franchise back is absolutely nuts. You couldn't be more wrong! Chad was a great pick. He was a great leader, and when healthy, a great player. He was undone by a moronic GM that didn't address the OL and as a result, Chad and the other Jets QBs took a pounding. They suffered two season-ending injuries in one game alone.

Becht was not a bust. He was a very good, if not great blocker, but he had stone hands. He simply was not a good choice. If they worked him out and scouted him thoroughly, they should have seen that he didn't have "soft" hands.

Low round draft picks are not "busts." By definition, a bust is a high draft pick who is awful and who does nothing in the NFL. The odds are very low on low round draft picks making the team or contributing anyway.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  18. 101GangGreen101

No one is trying to measure up to the 2000 draft, that has nothing to do with this discussion. SolidGold has said some questionable things in this thread as it is. The guy literally said Chad set this franchise back. C'mon now.

Simon is NOT a good player, stop calling him a good player. He's a young player with talent, that needs to prove himself. In limited action he was decent, but needs to improve big time. So 2015 his first draft, he has had 1 player that has been a regular contributor. Simon has not proved to be a regular contributor yet.

FJF likes this.
  19. NCJetsfan

No, I'm just being realistic. He was a project 7th round pick. He made the team, not just the PS, and contributes on the field. He has been a solid backup. NTs don't get a lot of stats anyway. You should know that. Based on his play, the Jets CS was expecting Simon to push McLendon for more playing time, if not the starting position this year. Mike Pennel, who is talented and was a good player for the Packers hasn't been able to pass him on the depth chart. That should tell you something.

Some of you guys expectations for how soon players develop and what their contributions are are skewed and completely unrealistic imo.

20. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Can I just say that that's exactly what I'm worried about with this line and Hack, or with this line and next years #1 draft pick? Nothing about that preseason game ameliorated those concerns. This line is bad.